Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Lake of Bays Old North Mocha Porter

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

groulxsome

Lake of Bays Old North Mocha Porter

Post by groulxsome »

This may be more of a question than a review.

First, the beer itself is a quite nice porter. It's more mocha and nice chocolate malts than coffee, but there is a little hint of it which is pleasant. It is a little thin, but that's not so bad. It's nothing amazing, but, you know, it's a solid 3.5/5.

The issue I have is with the pricing. It's priced at $8.95 for a 750 ml bottle ($11.93/litre), which makes it really seem like it's going to be a fairly exciting or complex beer. If it had been a 6-pack at normal Lake of Bays prices, $12.95 ($6.33/litre), I probably wouldn't have posted this review, but at almost double the price I was expecting something with a little more... something. Complexity? Body? Per-litre this is even, ever-so-slightly, more expensive than Tempest ($11.90/litre)! Why is it so expensive?

Anyway, it's a pretty good "sessionable" beer at a price that makes it un "sessionable."

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

I'll actually have one of these now and then, but on draft - a lot cheaper.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I agree this is a very VERY nice porter to enjoy on draught, obviously a wonderful cause to support anytime I can.

We have so few porters this good here!
In Beerum Veritas

Peter Collins

Post by Peter Collins »

wrt to the OP, I agree.

I had one of the IPA from the summer and they were similarly priced. I was lucky that I was given my bottle but there was no way I would pay the full price for it and I see these similar offerings in the LCBO and feel the same way.

They aren't bad, that's for sure. They are quite decent but I don't think they warrant the price tag that is on them.

That's basically where I'm at.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Peter Collins wrote:wI was lucky that I was given my bottle but there was no way I would pay the full price for it and I see these similar offerings in the LCBO and feel the same way.
I think we're in a time of adjustment, and part of the situation is 'optics.'

Brewers here have developed in leaps & bounds, and as a coinsequence don't seem to always know how to price things. They might be over-optimistic in all the novelty and excitement, so those big prices LOOK right to them. But in reality a good boost in quality for the old price point is just long overdue. It's time they caught up!

I don't know the economics of their situation, but when you compare the prices of many very good imports (like VDK Blauw) the pricing of own local brewings (particularly large bottles) often looks silly, or mildly delusional. I say that with some concern, not as a slag on anyone as brewers, and not as a criticism of ultra-special brewings that are truly worth upward of 8 or 9 bucks.

As I said - a time of adjustment! Things may settle down to a more credible price structure. There are so many nice new beers showing up from here and via imports that I'm sure we'll keep supporting them all.
In Beerum Veritas

Liverdie

Post by Liverdie »

Hi Belgian,

I actually met the Lake of Bays rep in my local LCBO the other day. The day of all those lineups in Toronto for Westvleteren. I mentioned I liked the porter but thought it a bit light alcohol wise. Good flavour, yes a lot of mocha comes through. Best thing I've had from them so far.

If I see him again, I'll be sure to mention the steep price.

Cheers,
Live or Die by Good Beer

Swampale

Post by Swampale »

That is why I only bought one, and will only do that once a year, usually around this time. I bought it for when friends come around during the holidays, I'll bring it out and we will all have a taste. I then of course will put my own beer in that same bottle and store it down in my cellar for next year.

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

This a trend I'm not fond of. Muskoka, Flying Monkeys, Cameron's and Mill Street all have bombers on the shelves that are north of $10. In some cases well north of $10 (FM BNL) or not even a bomber (Mill Street Barley wine is 500 ml). And both of the Great Lakes anniversary releases were just shy of $10.

In each and every case I do not think the products in question offer value for money or, more simply, they are overpriced. All of them are at least good, some are quite good. Few, if any, are exceptional.

If we look over the border to Quebec, similar (and often superior) products from the likes of Trois Mosquetaires are priced around the $6 mark. I don't know to what degree price of raw materials and taxes affect prices in Ontario, but if Beau's can produce something as good as the Best of Beau's gift pack (which is priced at $6 per bottle) I don't see why other Ontario breweries can't follow suit.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Gedge wrote:This a trend I'm not fond of. Muskoka, Flying Monkeys, Cameron's and Mill Street all have bombers on the shelves that are north of $10. In some cases well north of $10 (FM BNL) or not even a bomber (Mill Street Barley wine is 500 ml). And both of the Great Lakes anniversary releases were just shy of $10.
They must be very proud and excited about their new beers. But I'm concerned. It really would be easy to go to Buffalo, buy a bunch of equal-or-better beers for less per bomber (or six), fill the gas tank there at a 25% savings & the whole fun day trip would at least pay for itself in savings.

And again, many high-quality USA and EU imports are seriously nipping at our heels value-wise. So I really hope our own proud brewers aren't giving away too many sales to that, when they could be taking in more net revenue at a friendlier price point.

Case in point - who wouldn't buy more LB Mocha Porter if it were more 'everyday' affordable? I really like that beer.
In Beerum Veritas

Swampale

Post by Swampale »

I wonder if they could lower the price if it was packaged in a bottle without the flip-top?

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

considering how much cheaper the mill st coffee porter is i really dont see this beer surviving in this format

id take 3 cans of Fullers porter over the LOB porter any day

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Swampale wrote:I wonder if they could lower the price if it was packaged in a bottle without the flip-top?
Those pretty bottles are costly, and perhaps attract the sales attention needed to sell a Porter.

Which is a drag because to me Porter is an ideal 'everyday' beer style, and one with the best variants. Anchor Porter is amazing, so are GL Edmund Fitzgerald, Troegs Dead Reckoning, Nøgne Ø and Rogue Mocha Porter... and if you can buy it Black Oak Nutcracker. Even the brand-new Wellington SupPorter is a very solid addition, let's hope it's a sign the Porter style might catch on.

(With or without fancy flip-tops. Maybe try a cooler name or graphics like the USA examples?)
In Beerum Veritas