Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Spearhead Moroccan Brown Ale

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

pootz
Beer Superstar

Spearhead Moroccan Brown Ale

Post by pootz »

Anyone have some first impressions of this?? Raisins, Dates, Figs, Cinnamon seem like a natural compliment to brown ale''s nutty flavor.

Seen this on tap yet?
Aventinus rules!

hopdevil

Post by hopdevil »

I had this on tap at The Monk's Kettle, during Toronto Beer Week.

While I found it a little too sweet for my tastes, I still found it very enjoyable.
Medium bodied & full-flavoured, nutty, and fruity.
The figs /dates came through in the aftertaste.

A very well-made beer; If it wasn't for the sweetness, it would be such an easy drinker.

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

Had it on tap at The Only a while back. Didn't really do it for me - too sweet, too simple of a base, too reliant on novelty of flavors. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't terrible but it wasn't something I would jump to revisit.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

ritzkiss wrote:Had it on tap at The Only a while back. Didn't really do it for me - too sweet, too simple of a base, too reliant on novelty of flavors. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't terrible but it wasn't something I would jump to revisit.
This was kind of my impression of it - The base didn't strike me as strong as say Black Oak's.

Not to detrail, but I think one of the reason why BO nut brown and the Rifleman's Ration impresses me is because they're both very good beers with good simple flavours. Black Oak Nut Brown on cask (minus the beef jerky!) is one of the classic casks in this province.

Spearhead's Belgian Stout wasn't too bad.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

ritzkiss wrote:Didn't really do it for me - too sweet, too simple of a base, too reliant on novelty of flavors.
I agree with this.

This was at Imbibe about 2 weeks ago. I first had it at Session and wasn't a fan of it. I decided to give it another go, but not wanting to commit to a pint, I asked for a sample first, and I thank them as that's as far as I made it.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

JeffPorter wrote:I think one of the reason why BO nut brown and the Rifleman's Ration impresses me is because they're both very good beers with good simple flavours.
Exactly. Figure out how to make good beer first before you start screwing around with it.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

I went to try it on tap at Imbibe, but they drained the keg in 2 days/ had a sample before but not adequate to form an opinion one way or the other. I hope it isn't as sweet as towelers are saying. Had some wet hop Nickelbrook instead and that hit the spot.
Aventinus rules!

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

We've had it on tap here a couple times at the ship. It is pretty brown tasting and also pretty sweet. But mostly brown.

It is nicely spiced but also quite sweet. I like it a lot, but only a half pint at a time.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

The Mick

Post by The Mick »

Im not that crazy about the beer itself. I agree with most of the previous posts about the sweetness, but at Union in Ottawa they use it to make a Spiked Moroccan beer cocktail which is amazing. They have several components to the drink, some of which are house made, like cinnamon simple syrup, but it is great. Each liquor or flavor they use really helps showcase the fig and date flavours in the beer.
I don't always drink beer ... because sometimes my friends win and we have to go to macro-only establishments.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

The Cedar House in Paris made a mulled beer with it, which I thought worked really nicely.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Lots of fig and round spice in the taste, next to crisp hops, fruit middle with pale and toasty malts, finish dry-sweet with a slightly heavy-sweet body. Enjoyed it.
In Beerum Veritas

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Belgian wrote:Lots of fig and round spice in the taste, next to crisp hops, fruit middle with pale and toasty malts, finish dry-sweet with a slightly heavy-sweet body. Enjoyed it.
I love how concise that is.