Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Black Creek (Unintentionally) Sour Pumpkin Ale

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Black Creek (Unintentionally) Sour Pumpkin Ale

Post by mintjellie »

1.93/5 rDev -37.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Murky medium amber body, hazy with lots of small floaties. Two finger head dies fast and doesn't lace. Smells like lemon, pumpkin, and almost imaginary spices. Tart lemon flavour up front with subtle vegetal and spice notes. Thin, watery, and oddly chalky with low carbonation. This is definately off, but it hasn't gained much carbonation from the unintended refermentation in the bottle. Oddly enough, the off aroma and flavour isn't particularly unpleasant - just very inappropriate in a beer of this style. This might be a really bad pumpkin beer, but it's only a mediocre sour. Weird.

Serving type: bottle

Reviewed on: 11-30-2012 04:20:06

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

It's a Pumpkin Lambic.

Email the brewery and tell them how great it is that they've been pioneering Lambic's in Ontario for years now.

irishkyle21

Post by irishkyle21 »

Had one from this years batch. Just plain awful. Completely flat. Been multiple infected bottles or flat bottles I've had now. Won't be buying anything Black Creek again.
We can get drunker than this!!

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

So the Trafalgar production issues are catching up to them?
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

skaghevn

Post by skaghevn »

Had one just the other week. While not my fave pumpkin beer, it was quite fine, as has been every other Black Creek bottle I've purchased.

schomberger

Post by schomberger »

Haven't tried this years batch, but had a bunch last year with no problems, though as mentioned above it's nothing special. For regular abv pumpkins I stick to Grand River Highballer, for high abv it's Southern tier pumking.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Sure, blame Traf#%&gar.

(Again.)

Wait is this flemish sour ale any good? Will it make a nice carbonnade flamande if I can find some bison stewing meat?
In Beerum Veritas

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

There did seem something unusual I thought, it seemed a little lactic/acetic (yogurt-like?), yet it still had good pumpkin odours and the typical spicy taste.

I'd style this an "old ale" in 19th terms, which is neither here nor there really.

I blended it 50-50 with Great Lakes Pumpkin Ale, and added a few splashes of Sinha Stout, to make a "Black Pumpkin Ale". Very good it is, too.

Gary
Gary Gillman

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

G.M. Gillman wrote:There did seem something unusual I thought, it seemed a little lactic/acetic (yogurt-like?), yet it still had good pumpkin odours and the typical spicy taste...
A growler of Mill Street Pumpkin that went off for me had a cream cheese like lactic character. It was odd.
In Beerum Veritas

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Interesting. I wonder if something in the pumpkin itself can cause this, or maybe it is just a coincidence.

Gary
Gary Gillman

Matty D

Post by Matty D »

I just purchased two bottles of this over the past two weeks and both were fine. I actually found this years a bit better than last years, it isn't a big ale like ST but it has just enough pumpkin and spices to work for me unlike a few other pumpkin ales that lacked in one area or another.

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

All 4 bottles I've had (3 purchases) have been fine. On Tuesday I had the Black Creek right before the Highballer, and though I really like Highballer, the Black Creek was the better of the two I think.

schomberger

Post by schomberger »

Hmmmm...sounds like I might have to try this year's batch of Black Creek; I enjoyed last years though it wasn't that pumpkiny imo.

As for the Highballer, which I mentioned as a fav on another thread, I've found this year's batch less satisfyng after noticing a buttery taste in my second bottle.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

re: Highballer, sorry to hear anything negative about Grand River as they are one of the un-sung superstar breweries we have, IMO.

Not that I like everything they brew (the imperial stout I find puzzling) and they throw a few curveballs, but GR make a lot of great beers and do things with real integrity.
In Beerum Veritas