Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Nøgne Ø LCBO feature

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Enjoying the Underlig Jul quite a bit....for me, the perfect level of spiced flavouring...not over the top but highly noticeable. Have been impressed with Nogne so far.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Porter 4.5/5 - dark brown, tan head. roasted malt, and hops in the nose. layered, complex flavour, chocolate, coffee, roast malt, hops. hella drinkable. lovely stuff.

#100 4.4/5 - deep amber with a tan head. punchy hops and huge malt body. drinks lighter then an english barley wine, much more american in style. should age gracefully. really nice beer.

Two Captains 3.9/5 - deep orange, white head. pungent hoppy and crystal malt nose. aged IIPA flavour. very well brewed just slightly past its prime. a little more body and this would be a damn fine barley wine.

Tiger Triple 3.2/5 - murky golden with a white head. very phenolic nose. flavour is complex, but a little off putting. i dont really dig the light smokiness. this bottle didnt really do it for me but there were parts of this beer i really liked. ill have to re-visit.

Underlig Jul 3.1/5 - murky reddish brown with a tan head. the aroma is mainly ginger. the palate is light, the flavour is mostly just the spicing, and the finish is astringent with spice. took me a while to finish my bottle. not my kind of beer.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

^ Matt re: Underlig,

it would not be shocking if the denser, sweeter God Jul(love that name) were to show up next xmas (assuming the name doesn't offend agnostics with something silly to prove.)
In Beerum Veritas

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

The only one I have purchased (so far) is the Two Captains and I was very impressed by it.

Peter Collins

Post by Peter Collins »

Was just at Waterloo City Centre LCBO and they didn't have the Two Captains. :( I picked up the Underlig Jul instead and then came home to read Matt's review of it. Then read El Pinguino's review. Will have to judge for myself. LOL

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Had the Underlig with Christmas dinner - quite liked it.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

All of the Nogne offerings are worth trying imo.They all have something to add to their styles. Two Captains and Underlig are my favorites. I found Tiger a little tripy with those peated notes, something that took me a little time to get used to in a tripel but I liked it in the end. # 100 reminds me of FM's Supercolider, which a lot of people thought was a bit of a dud largely because it didn't fit it's IIPA billing.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

I've enjoyed them all, just had the porter and it was very well done. The only one I didn't pick up was the Tiger Triple as I've had it before and thought it was average.
Overall I liked the Underlig Jul most, for being different...

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

TWO CAPTAINS DOUBLE IPA

4.21/5 rDev +3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Burnt orange body. Turbid with haze and little floaties. Finger-thick eggshell coloured head, fair retention and patchy lace. Grapefruit and tangerine aromatics with complementary pine, cannabis flower, and light brown sugar notes. And a hint of it's 8.5% ABV as well. Big citrus flavour to match the aroma, gently sweet malts are run roughshod by grapefruit pith, turning woody in the long bitter finish. Simple flavour profile, but big enough to be brutishly effective. Medium-full bodied with low carbonation. Feels smooth and a little bit resinous in the mouth. Very good.

Serving type: bottle

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Anyone experience the porter over-carbonated? The first one I had was perfect, but I just bought one last week, drinking it now, and it's foaming like crazy.

And come to think of it, I bought a bottle of two-captains last week too, same store, and it didn't taste right. I chalked it up to maybe getting to the end of it's life, but maybe these were stored improperly at the LCBO. Can storage issues lead to over-carbonation?
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

BrewNerd

Post by BrewNerd »

All great beers!

I found the carbonation on the Porter kinda crazy as well. Although Id agree the Jule beer was well made, it was one of the first beers in years that I could not finish. Not a bad beer, just not my style at all.