Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Kichesippi Natural Blonde

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Kichesippi Natural Blonde

Post by G.M. Gillman »

4.9% ABV, in the bottle trundled on the train from Ottawa.

First class! This is the kind of beer we need more of: quality sweet pale malt, firm bitter and aroma hopping (tastes German and C-hop to me), well-balanced, no faults. This was the style of "gold" often brewed in the 80's in the dawn of microbrewing. Its roots are in English pale ale and possibly pre-Prohibition U.S. top-fermenting ales.

Well done and why doesn't the draft pop up in Toronto? Or does it?

Gary
Gary Gillman

notdan

Post by notdan »

This is a regular for me on tap when in Ottawa. Glad to hear the bottled version is also tasting good. It reminds me of a slightly paler, maybe slightly more bitter St-Ambroise Pale.

As far as I know, Kichesippi is using the Ottawa-only angle as part of its marketing, so it's not likely to show up in Toronto in the near future.

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

notdan wrote: As far as I know, Kichesippi is using the Ottawa-only angle as part of its marketing, so it's not likely to show up in Toronto in the near future.
How dare they?!?

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

A good beer I should drink more of. Prefer their 1855 though, really great flavours, reminds me a bit of Tankhouse.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

I had a Tankhouse at Whalebone, a restaurant on Bank, and it was great, better than in Toronto I thought. I wondered if it is brewed at the new location in Ottawa, or is it all brought in from the Big Smoke?

Gary
Gary Gillman

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

G.M. Gillman wrote:I had a Tankhouse at Whalebone, a restaurant on Bank, and it was great, better than in Toronto I thought. I wondered if it is brewed at the new location in Ottawa, or is it all brought in from the Big Smoke?

Gary
My guess would be Toronto. That said, I've found the Ottawa brewed beers at the pub to be better than those coming out of Toronto.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Haven't had the Kichessippi yet, but it puts me in mind of the old Hockley Gold. I liked that one (particularly at first, I think they may have dumbed it down at one point) and was sad to see it go.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

G.M. Gillman wrote: Well done and why doesn't the draft pop up in Toronto? Or does it?
I think with kegs they'd have to deliver themselves to Toronto, so they may not have the infrastructure (or interest) to do this.

One of the beefs of the Green Party candidate who attended the Brewery Market in Ottawa is that brewers can't deliver their beers on the same truck. So that prohibits small breweries in Ottawa from banding together and sending a truck to TO with kegs (if they were interested in such a thing).

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

It's truly sad we live in a world where craft brewers, trying to build a business and get ahead, cannot put their kegs on one truck to ship to customers. That should be changed.

Midlife: I agree viz the original Hockely Gold. However, Hogsback Lager is pretty close to these styles albeit a lager not an ale. I can't do better than funkengruven's comments on BA:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/22486/57344

I had it last week at the Duke pub in First Canadian Place.

Gary
Gary Gillman

Philip1

Post by Philip1 »

it puts me in mind of the old Hockley Gold. I liked that one (particularly at first, I think they may have dumbed it down at one point)
I enjoyed a pint of Hockley Gold back around 1994/5 at a Toronto bar then a few years later had it again on draught a few miles from the brewery and thought, "This is just generic lager. What did I see in this before?"

I figured my original enjoyment of Gold had something to do with it being my first beer after several hours of walking around in the summer heat so it's interesting to hear they might have dumbed it down.
Midlife: I agree viz the original Hockely Gold. However, Hogsback Lager is pretty close to these styles albeit a lager not an ale.
I'll have to give it go as I'm always looking for non-macro lagers for friends and family who just like "regular beer".

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Hogsback is full of flavour, I'd serve it to anyone, i.e., old hands not least. It is actually pretty bitter, too.

Gary
Gary Gillman

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

This is a simple, tasty brew that I enjoyed in Ottawa numerous times this summer. A definite, nice surprise of a beer.