Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Nickel Brook Cuvee 2012

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Nickel Brook Cuvee 2012

Post by atomeyes »

Bought at the LCBO. wax-sealed bottle with an old fashioned-style label that looks for busy/messy than cool. $10/bottle.

Bottle states: 19 IBU 8.5%. ingredients include Demerar sugar, dried fig, orange peel, raisins, cinnamon, all spice, black pepper, cardamom, vanila beans.

Poured into a chalice. big head that quickly dissipates to nothing. leaves lacing behind.

Looks brown in appearance - a solid amber maple syrup-like hue.

Nose is initially sugar, big time, with a trace of vanilla. with time, the orange peel definitely jumps out.

Taste - the bourbon barrel is strong. perhaps too strong. it hits me with an immediate mouth impact and leaves a wood-like bitter aftertaste. a bit too much. the next taste that stands out is the fig. there is a front-of-the-tongue sweetness to the beer, which is the perfect level for this style. decent mouthfeel, although i wouldn't mind it a bit more viscous.

i am drinking it while eating some roasted almonds and that's cutting the wood flavour a bit. it is not my favourite barrel-aged offering from them, but it is a hell of a lot better than most Ontario offerings at the LCBO. points to them for trying, and i wouldn't mind seeing what next year's batch tastes like.

they also note that it can be cellared. i don't see where it would evolve, to be honest. i'd rather buy the Belgian cuvee at the LCBO and cellar that for a year. this, for now, is a pretty good winter warmer. i'd reach to buy this over La Trappe Quad, methinks.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Yeah, it's very much a "now" beer to drink. Unless you found the spices overwhelming which they aren't to me at least.

Nice attempt at a barrel age and a blend, but I prefer Kentucky Bastard by a country mile!
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

750ml bottle from the brewery. pours murky brown with a tan head. nice spicy aroma. a bit of oaky vanilla but not much. needs some bottle time to come into its own.

other vintages of this beer have aged nicely so Id hold back a bottle for a year or 2 if you got more then 1

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

atomeyes wrote: Taste - the bourbon barrel is strong. perhaps too strong. it hits me with an immediate mouth impact and leaves a wood-like bitter aftertaste. .
It is funny how different palates can taste the same beer in completely different ways. I got no barrel whatsoever from the Cuvee.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
atomeyes wrote: Taste - the bourbon barrel is strong. perhaps too strong. it hits me with an immediate mouth impact and leaves a wood-like bitter aftertaste. .
It is funny how different palates can taste the same beer in completely different ways. I got no barrel whatsoever from the Cuvee.
i also wonder if there's a difference between batches. Matt described it as being "oaky vanilla".

or...your palate's shot :)

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

atomeyes wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:
i also wonder if there's a difference between batches. Matt described it as being "oaky vanilla".

or...your palate's shot :)
True. But he also said "a bit of" ...

skaghevn

Post by skaghevn »

While I enjoyed it, I thought it had a thin mouth-feel. Can't see it aging well, but would be happy to be wrong (and have someone else put the point to me with a glass).