Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

scotch barrel aged nutcracker

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

scotch barrel aged nutcracker

Post by JeffPorter »

Holy Moly! It's a barrel bomb! It's going to really depend on your tastes if you like it or not. Just sneaking a sip right now and saving the rest for tonight.

But it's not a raw american oak kind of woody barrel bomb, but a smokey peaty scotchy kind of bomb.

Apparently they blended unaged nutcracker and only aged it in the barrels for two months. The barrels from Islay, however, had scotch in them right before they left for Black Oak in them hence the strong scotch flavours and aromas.

Reminds me a little of what the Pinot Noir barrels did to Bolshevik Bastard, but in scotch form.

The alcohol is boosted to 6.5 and that's AFTER the blend!

Does the original nutcracker get buried? A little first, yeah, but the malts do come in at the end, and there's a chocolatey sweetness in the middle and close to the end, but it's also fighting with the peat a bit in the overall finish. After you get over the initial shock of al that scotch flavours you start to recognize the porter again.

If you liked that St. Peter's Whiskey beer, you'll like this. I prefer this I think because the porter adds more complexity and body in the end.

This also makes me more eager to try Canny Man. From what I've heard the malts really stand up well to the barrel treatment, but we'll see.

I like it, but I like craziness like this!
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

JeffPorter wrote: Reminds me a little of what the Pinot Noir barrels did to Bolshevik Bastard, but in scotch form.
:oops: As a person who can't stand really peaty scotch flavours, this post just made me a whole lot less excited about this beer...

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
JeffPorter wrote: Reminds me a little of what the Pinot Noir barrels did to Bolshevik Bastard, but in scotch form.
:oops: As a person who can't stand really peaty scotch flavours, this post just made me a whole lot less excited about this beer...
Yeah - sorry - this might not be your thing, then.

It's pretty much this -

"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
+1

I just picked up two bottles of this and a six of the regular nutcracker to compare. I was excited to get home and crack one of each open. Not so much any more.

At least the drive wasnt all a waste picked up some GLB Audry Hopburn.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I'd love to try that... Nutcracker is one of my all-time favourites!

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Having the rest of the bottle tonight, I notice the porter qualities a lot more, especially in the aroma.

But, yeah, scotch heavy, so if you don't like the smokiness of scotch, might not be your thing.

On the other hand, it kind of tastes like a robust porter made with a good amount of smoke malt. Which is really interesting.

kinguy

Post by kinguy »

Derek wrote:I'd love to try that... Nutcracker is one of my all-time favourites!
Also one of mine and I have to agree with TheBeeraholic. My wife surprised me with a few bottles and I was really looking forward to it. If I didn't know it was the same base beer, I wouldn't believe it. The peaty, scotchy (I think I picked up some tobacco & iodine too) flavours really aren't my thing. I'll set the other two down for a while and see if aging does anything.

I think Nutcracker would have been better suited to bourbon barrels rather than scotch, but then I loves me my bourbon and think scotch should be poured back into the horse.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

How does this compare to the Ola Dubh beers the LCBO had in awhile back? I recall the Ola Dubh 40 being very heavy on the Scotch flavours, and I liked it a lot.

Soods

Post by Soods »

JeffPorter wrote: This also makes me more eager to try Canny Man. From what I've heard the malts really stand up well to the barrel treatment, but we'll see.
If you liked this one Jeff, you'll probably love the Canny Man. It's much higher in ABV (9.1%) and the smoky peat flavours are huge. Being a 750ml bottle, it is one to share though! :D

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Soods wrote:
JeffPorter wrote: This also makes me more eager to try Canny Man. From what I've heard the malts really stand up well to the barrel treatment, but we'll see.
If you liked this one Jeff, you'll probably love the Canny Man. It's much higher in ABV (9.1%) and the smoky peat flavours are huge. Being a 750ml bottle, it is one to share though! :D
I'm looking forward to it!

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Drinking this right now...

The scotch notes definitely dominate, so much so that that you can barely taste the nutcracker. That said, despite this and despite not being all that big on scotch in the first place, I kind of like this one.