Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Bellwood's Monogamy Nelson Sauvin

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I've had a very similar experience. Previously had bottles of both the Bootknife Brown and the Common Ale and, frankly, was wondering what all the Bellwoods fuss was about. But today having a Monogamy (Sauvin) and it is absolutely superb. As Matt said above, the moderate bitterness on this hop makes it endlessly drinkable. Great stuff.

Also, unfortunately, Roman Candle now sold out so didn't get to buy that one. Picked up Witchshark and Baltic Porter though, so really looking forward to those.

Droogy

Post by Droogy »

hoping this one makes a return for the summer months... would be much nicer on a hot summer day!!!

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

Droogy wrote:hoping this one makes a return for the summer months... would be much nicer on a hot summer day!!!
I have to agree. I just picked up a bottle today and I'm loving the light, refreshing bitterness. I'm not getting "huge" hops, I don't know if that is a result of it being bottled Jan 18th or having just drank a glass of very hoppy Shacklands PA.

I love the chance to try a hop in isolation, and used by a skilled hand, like this. The Nelson Sauvin seems a little dank and onion-y to me, but in a good way. Glad I have another bottle! (The guy at the bottle shop today said they were running out at the store, but said a Summit Monogamy, I think, was next in line).

heebes

Post by heebes »

YEAAAAHHHHHH!! :D

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

I find that I don't like single hop beers all that much.

I really like the idea of them, and I drink them, because I want brewers to play around with them and keep getting creative, but I usually find that they lack something - depth maybe.

This is one fantastic beer! Refreshing, flavourful, and not really all that bitter.

IMHO, it blows their new IPA out of the water.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Streets

Post by Streets »

Cale was kind enough to share a bottle of this with me last night, and I am firmly in the loving it group! I've had a chance to sample this hop a few times in the Thornbridge Kipling that came out last year, but this is definitely the best example so far.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

a few more quick comments:

1) Starting to get a little fatigued with big 10% stouts and this is a welcome change in the middle of winter.

2) bar keep at Bellwoods said she actually preferred this in the bottle as opposed to draught and I might agree with her.

3) Wish I'd bought a few more bottles

4) My only quibble would be in a dream world this would be 4.1% like the common ale, and it'd be easy to drink this all night!
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John