Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Yankee Jim Silver Reserve and other bottom-quality beers.

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Yankee Jim Silver Reserve and other bottom-quality beers.

Post by mintjellie »

Yankee Jim Silver Reserve

1.6/5 rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1

Golden colour and brilliant clarity with loads of visible carbonation. Large meringue-like head, good retention, no lace. Boiled corn aroma with hints of bread dough and buttery diacetyl. Malt forward with doughy and corn syrup flavours, overcooked vegetables, a light butterscotch note, and almost no hopping to speak of. Light-bodied and highly carbonated. Feels prickly and gives you unpleasant tasting burps. Slight diacetyl slickness. A flavourful lager in all the worst ways. I feel like a masochist for actually finishing this.

Serving type: bottle

02-07-2013 02:45:46[/b]
Last edited by mintjellie on Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

Why even bother putting this up? Everyone already knew.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

liamt07 wrote:Why even bother putting this up? Everyone already knew.
I'm going to be putting up bottom-quality beer reviews all week. Got Carling Ice, Old Mil, Old Mil Ice, Busch, and Busch Ice sitting in the fridge. I expect the Carling Ice to be the only one to give this a run for its money in terms of awfulness though.

This is the second lowest score I've ever given a beer.

I generally post every review I make on here, it's become a matter of habit.

Maybe I should just do them all in one thread?

Guybrush

Post by Guybrush »

Couldn't you just pour all those beers together into a bowl, and then write a review of that? That way you can evaluate them all in one post!

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

I didn't, but I could've guessed. Still, I got a laugh reading it. But didn't Gary cover these mediocre offerings at some point?!

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Malcolm wrote:
liamt07 wrote: But didn't Gary cover these mediocre offerings at some point?!

...only after he blended them :wink:
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Malcolm wrote:
I didn't, but I could've guessed. Still, I got a laugh reading it. But didn't Gary cover these mediocre offerings at some point?!
I wasn't even trying to be funny, really. I was trying to play it straight.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Old Milwaukee

2.84/5 rDev +18.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Straw gold body with lots of apparent carbonation. It's large white head is tightly formed and surprisingly retentive. It even leaves large patches of lace on the walls of my glass. Old Milwaukee is actually an appealing beer to look at. Nondescript cereal-like aroma. The best descriptor I can find for it is "beery." Even for an AAL, it's pretty weak. I'm going to call it slightly below average for it's sheer insipidness, but insipid isn't foul. It has a gently sweet taste with notes of corn flakes cereal and wonderbread. Light bitterness and green apple in the short finish. Light-bodied and highly carbonated. Feels thin and fizzy in the mouth, like carbonated water. Overall, this isn't a terrible beer. It's also not a good one either, and that's a shame because if it didn't have that quite noticeable acetaldehyde fault it would be. Within the context of the style, of course.

Serving type: can

02-08-2013 05:02:57

munrets

Post by munrets »

I would read these all day. Keep 'em coming.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Beer Reviews are about relative merits of all brews, not just world-beaters.

Plus it's fun to get a reference once in a while to the hardcore macro suds, rather than living in a bubble.
In Beerum Veritas

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

I enjoy reading them - gives me a chance to live foolishly through somebody elses taste buds. See Greg and Pootz's original steelback ratings
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Busch Beer

2.35/5 rDev +18.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Pale straw. Small and poorly retained white head. Mild "beery" aroma. Like carbonated water lightly infused with corn cereal, mildly sweet, with a hint of green apple. Light-bodied and highly carbonated. Feels thin and spritzy in the mouth, like Perrier. I doubt I could easily distinguish this from it's Beechwood-aged sister, Budweiser. Or from most other beers of this type, if tasted blind. Has that "green" character common to many AAL's.

Serving type: can

02-09-2013

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Truthfully, I kind of like that mild breakfast cereal thing I get from some of these brews. Corn isn't a bad taste. Breakfast cereal isn't a bad taste. It's only full-on corn syrup or boiled corn/cabbage type flavours that bother me, like in the Yankee Jim.

The thing is, many beers of this type also have some "green" character to them as well. Like a green apple or vegetal sort of flavour, if that makes sense. And it doesn't go well with the rest of the AAL profile. From what I've read, the beer probably isn't conditioned long enough. These seem like they could be significantly better than they are.

Next time I'm in the states, I think I'd like to pick up a few of the AAL's that have something of a cult following amongst certain beer geeks - Narragansett, Schlitz Gusto, Grain Belt - for comparison.
Belgian wrote:Beer Reviews are about relative merits of all brews, not just world-beaters.

Plus it's fun to get a reference once in a while to the hardcore macro suds, rather than living in a bubble.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

I'm dreading the Ice beers. Cryo-concentration of off-flavours. Sounds lovely!

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

mintjellie wrote: Corn isn't a bad taste.
I agree - in fact, if you want to read about how corn is used effectively (in whiskey, anyway), read Chris Shyer's blog post about his trip to Forty Creek. John Hall ferments, distills and ages all his grains separately blends them later on. If you go on a tour you might be able to try just the corn whiskey, which apparently is quite nice...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John