Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Yankee Jim Silver Reserve and other bottom-quality beers.

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Busch Ice

1.85/5 rDev +5.7%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2

Golden body, pours without forming a proper head, no lace. Faint corn cereal and green apple aroma. Doughy malt and corn syrup flavour, with a moderately strong green apple character. Alcohol is a tiny bit harsh, but bearable. Unpleasant, but bearable. Light-bodied with low carbonation, but not watery. Seems to have little more body than Busch Beer. Much as I expected, this is like a slightly concentrated version of Busch. Unfortunately, that means the off-flavours in Busch Beer are concentrated as well.

Serving type: can

02-09-2013 19:52:18

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Old Milwaukee Ice

2.38/5 rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Pale straw colour. Fluffy white head, moderately retentive. Leaves collars of lace on the glass. Like Old Milwaukee Original, this is an attractive looking AAL. Boiled corn/vegetables and white bread dough aroma. Tastes sweet up front with doughy malts and corn. Faint green apple and bitter notes in the finish . Light-bodied with high carbonation, but still carries a bit more weight than most AAL's. Like Old Miwaukee Original, there are unfortunate off-flavours that mar it's otherwise redeeming qualities.

02-10-2013 23:58:34

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Carling Ice

2.38/5 rDev -13.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

Gold colour, small but tightly formed white head. Poor retention and lace. "Beery" aroma with a solvent note. Mildly sweet with doughy and corn cereal notes. Slight alcohol sharpness in the finish. Very mild green apple. Light-bodied and highly carbonated. Feels prickly, but not thin. I'll damn it with faint praise by saying it tastes slightly better than Carling Original. It still isn't good.

02-11-2013 01:01:40

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

what an excellent opportunity to point out DISCOUNT BEER FEBRUARY over at St.John's Wort.

http://saintjohnswort.ca/discount-beer- ... re-we-are/
saintjohnswort.ca

Swampale

Post by Swampale »

These are fun reads, keep em coming.

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

saints_gambit wrote:what an excellent opportunity to point out DISCOUNT BEER FEBRUARY over at St.John's Wort.

http://saintjohnswort.ca/discount-beer- ... re-we-are/
Interesting article. I also liked the one about James Ready.

These reviews and articles also go me thinking: someone recently was asking me to put together another beer tasting party. Maybe I should do a discount beer tasting party for shits and giggles. The down side is that this probably wouldn't be ironic slumming for many of the people.

BrewNerd

Post by BrewNerd »

I like the taste of corn in beer (sometimes). I went to makers mark and had "distillers beer" which was strange, but not terrible :P