Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Was anyone else less than impressed by Skull Splitter?

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Was anyone else less than impressed by Skull Splitter?

Post by mintjellie »

2.46/5 rDev -39.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Deep copper. Small and short-lived beige head, decent lace. Sharp, boozy aroma with light raisin and toffee notes. Tastes mildly sweet with notes of caramel, raisin, and dried cherry. Mild bitterness in the finish. It's boozy, and I find that unpleasant without some strong flavours to balance things out. Light-bodied with low carbonation. It feels thin, and I think it contributes to the alcohol coming across harshly. I didn't enjoy this beer.

Serving type: bottle

02-16-2013 20:51:19

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

I can't begin to comprehend how this even comes close to deserving the kind of reviews it gets. This isn't good beer.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Yeah, I found it messy and I love a good malt bomb, but this wasn't great. At least fresh...One would hope that age would straighten it out, but I'm thinking it would take A LOT of age...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Yep, I think it sucks.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

JeffPorter wrote:Yeah, I found it messy and I love a good malt bomb, but this wasn't great. At least fresh...One would hope that age would straighten it out, but I'm thinking it would take A LOT of age...
I don't know man - even if the flavours manage to knit together a little tighter, I don't think aging would do anything for the body and mouthfeel. I could be wrong though, I don't have much experience cellaring bottles.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

mintjellie wrote:
JeffPorter wrote:Yeah, I found it messy and I love a good malt bomb, but this wasn't great. At least fresh...One would hope that age would straighten it out, but I'm thinking it would take A LOT of age...
I don't know man - even if the flavours manage to knit together a little tighter, I don't think aging would do anything for the body and mouthfeel. I could be wrong though, I don't have much experience cellaring bottles.
I think you're probably right - it would take a lot of "knitting" to make that beer tasty.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

LondonBeer

Post by LondonBeer »

markaberrant wrote:Yep, I think it sucks.
+1

studious

Post by studious »

on the plus side, it does have an awesome name...

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

studious wrote:on the plus side, it does have an awesome name...
To go with it, you could read the comic my friend writes...

http://www.skullkickers.com/

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I thought it tasted crunchy, but in giood way.
In Beerum Veritas