Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Hop Mason IPA

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Hop Mason IPA

Post by G.M. Gillman »

I learned about this from Jordan St. John in a recent blog entry. I tried it at a Fionn MacCool this evening and was shocked how good it was. The tent ads on the counter claim 50 IBUs and I don't doubt it, plus they are evidently Fuggles or some fine English variety. On top of that is a fine, seemingly all-malt body of amber hue.

It was like drinking a top-class real ale in London from a trad brewery except colder and fizzy. I understand it is a Labatt (so AB InBev) product, and credit must be given where due. This is the true English taste and it is welcome to see it in a town where we have great APAs but not too many really first-class English-style beers.

Gary
Gary Gillman

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

It appears I'm wrong about the hops being English in that a couple of reports on the web state that it is Centennial and Cascade. I certainly accept that but nonetheless the taste struck me as very English.

Gary
Gary Gillman

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Tried it again and this time I got much more hop nose and I can see the Cascade now, or in that pint anyway. It reminded me more this time of, say, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, or Budweiser American Ale which may be a more apt comparison given the corporate connection. Anyway, setting aside the beers from Six Pints, this beer is surely the most craft-like ever produced in Canada by a large brewer in modern times.

Gary
Gary Gillman

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Thanks Gary - I've been meaning to get down to my local Fionn Mccools to try this...maybe next leaf game.

Jordon also noted that the single hop beers they did were pretty good as well. Nothing earth shattering, but quite good.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Thanks Jeff for that reminder, that was mentioned as well and I look forward to trying those too.

One of the interesting things remarked by a number of tasters on the Hop Mason is its relatively light body. I agree with that, it is not as dry as some IPAs (Wells Young's is the driest I know available here), but not as full in body as many pale ales and IPAs are today, however, that is just another side of IPA (and historically was accurate in fact).

Gary
Gary Gillman

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I'm trying the two (canned) single hop Keith's beers just now and I can't find much to like, to be honest. They are OK. Easy drinking and "sessionable", I guess, though that label should never be applied to a beer over 5% abv, in my estimation. I think, of the two, I liked the Hallertau a bit better (which I didn't expect). They just don't seem to know what to do with the C-hops.
Last edited by midlife crisis on Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Finally tried it at Fionn Macool's while watching the leafs. Quite nice - not earth shattering, but a nice pale ale with good hop flavour. Think I'm going to pass on trying the others though.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Alexander Keith's Hallertauer Hop Ale

3.29/5 rDev -0.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Pale copper colour, poorly-retained off-white head and no lace. Mild herbal, floral, and lemon zest aromatics. Toasted bread, lemon, and woody flavours, then a spicy finish. Mild but noticeable bitterness. Fairly light in body with surprisingly restrained carbonation. Quenching and light without being watery or prickly - I actually like the mouthfeel of this beer. Although it's a very tame beer, the hop aromas and flavours are easy to notice and do manage to take centre stage. There are certainly craft options that surpass it, but by macro standards I think this hits the ball out of the park. Not a great beer, but it does deliver the advertised goods.

Serving type: can

04-11-2013 01:33:46

Alexander Keith's Cascade Hop Ale

2.19/5 rDev -30.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Pale copper colour, large off-white head. Mediocre retention, no lace. Mild grapefruit and floral aromatics. Light toasty malt character, very faint citrus flavour in the finish. Low bitterness that still comes across harsh on the palate. Light-bodied with restrained carbonation. Feels thin and a little watery, especially when taken in concert with it's anemic flavour. Where the Hallertau Hop Ale at least manages to deliver an easily perceived hop character, this Cascade Hop version almost completely fails.

Serving type: can

04-11-2013 02:27:00

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Spot on. It is odd how they can make a decent enough beer with the Hallertau but so completely miss the mark with the Cascade.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Where are people getting the cans? TBS?

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

They are both terrible with the Cascade being just a bit more interesting

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

No, LCBO (at least mine). Queen's Quay IIRC.

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

PeenSteen wrote:They are both terrible with the Cascade being just a bit more interesting
Terrible might be harsh. I will agree with you that the Cascade is the most interesting of the offerings.

I'll also say this: I have claimed in the past that the big guys probably have the capability to do things like this. I didn't really allow for the fact that there might be a more substantial learning curve on a larger scale. They're probably going to get better at it with subsequent iterations.

Not that that's good news or bad news or even news news. It's just likely what will develop.
saintjohnswort.ca

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Terrible is definitely too harsh. I judge them by imagining I am in some Haligonian hell where only the Keith's brands are being served. Would I order this, or the regular "IPA"? The Hallertau yes, the Cascade no.

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

midlife crisis wrote:Terrible is definitely too harsh. I judge them by imagining I am in some Haligonian hell where only the Keith's brands are being served. Would I order this, or the regular "IPA"? The Hallertau yes, the Cascade no.
In a Haligonian version of hell, all of the bars are uphill.
saintjohnswort.ca