Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Kuhnhenn 4D

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Derek wrote: Seriously though, I'd say this is a barley wine without the hops & bitterness for balance:
http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style19.php

But American's just wouldn't see this as a barely wine. They expect stuff like Bigfoot.

I'm not a huge fan of Thomas Hardy's either, but I do find it a bit more 'drinkable.'
I wouldn't expect something as intense and American as Bigfoot for an old ale, but a more prominent and drying English hop character would likely cut the sweetness. Others like Gale's Prize, The Iron Tankard, Fuller's Vintage, Hibernation, and Ola Dubh 40 have tart, hoppy or roasted flavours to even things out. Still happy to see this one available, though, and it was interesting to try.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I don't find this beer terribly sweet. It has some backbone. Although (like He'Brew 15) letting a part-consumed bottle 'breathe' some O2 for a few days seems to smooth and balance it out with some helpful oxygenation/oxidation! ;) We are blessed and cursed in this day of perfect beer hygiene, which might impair a very strong beer's flavor development at times they need some abuse or aging (aging beer is merely the abuse of intentional degradation). This batch of 4D could age into a monster like any good batch of HOTD Adam.
In Beerum Veritas

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Belgian wrote:...letting a part-consumed bottle 'breathe' some O2 for a few days seems to smooth and balance it out with some helpful oxidation (and) This batch of 4D could age into a monster like any good batch of HOTD Adam.
Well the good news is I still have two bottles left so I'll try doing both to see if it becomes more palatable.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Yikes, I can't do this one, put me in the "too sweet" camp. There are some nice flavours lurking behind everything but I find it cloying. Really nice body and carbonation though.
Craft beer hipster before it was cool

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

It's not really the sweetness that turns me off. I like sweet beers such as Hardy's, Jewbelation, Solstice, Gulden Draak and most other old ales and barley wines. It's the herbal, ricola like taste that turns me 160 degrees away from any of these extral dimensions. The comical price, which gets about 1/2 the BO employees rechecking their scanners, accounts for the other 20 degrees.