Kuhnhenn 4D

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings here.

Moderators: GregClow, Cass

cratez
Beer Superstar

Postby cratez » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:34 pm

Derek wrote: Seriously though, I'd say this is a barley wine without the hops & bitterness for balance:
http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style19.php

But American's just wouldn't see this as a barely wine. They expect stuff like Bigfoot.

I'm not a huge fan of Thomas Hardy's either, but I do find it a bit more 'drinkable.'

I wouldn't expect something as intense and American as Bigfoot for an old ale, but a more prominent and drying English hop character would likely cut the sweetness. Others like Gale's Prize, The Iron Tankard, Fuller's Vintage, Hibernation, and Ola Dubh 40 have tart, hoppy or roasted flavours to even things out. Still happy to see this one available, though, and it was interesting to try.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Postby Belgian » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:12 pm

I don't find this beer terribly sweet. It has some backbone. Although (like He'Brew 15) letting a part-consumed bottle 'breathe' some O2 for a few days seems to smooth and balance it out with some helpful oxygenation/oxidation! ;) We are blessed and cursed in this day of perfect beer hygiene, which might impair a very strong beer's flavor development at times they need some abuse or aging (aging beer is merely the abuse of intentional degradation). This batch of 4D could age into a monster like any good batch of HOTD Adam.
In Beerum Veritas
cratez
Beer Superstar

Postby cratez » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:19 am

Belgian wrote:...letting a part-consumed bottle 'breathe' some O2 for a few days seems to smooth and balance it out with some helpful oxidation (and) This batch of 4D could age into a monster like any good batch of HOTD Adam.

Well the good news is I still have two bottles left so I'll try doing both to see if it becomes more palatable.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott
Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Postby Bytowner » Mon May 13, 2013 8:57 pm

Yikes, I can't do this one, put me in the "too sweet" camp. There are some nice flavours lurking behind everything but I find it cloying. Really nice body and carbonation though.
Craft beer hipster before it was cool
Lukie

Postby Lukie » Mon May 20, 2013 12:28 am

It's not really the sweetness that turns me off. I like sweet beers such as Hardy's, Jewbelation, Solstice, Gulden Draak and most other old ales and barley wines. It's the herbal, ricola like taste that turns me 160 degrees away from any of these extral dimensions. The comical price, which gets about 1/2 the BO employees rechecking their scanners, accounts for the other 20 degrees.

Return to “Beer Reviews”