Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Alexander Keith's Cascade & Hallertau

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Philip1

Post by Philip1 »

I'm drinking the Cascade Hop right now. No corn syrup detected. :D It's like a slightly less tasty version of St Ambroise Pale Ale, but stronger in alcohol. Had it come out 7 or 8 years ago I might've made it a regular but not today with the better selection available. Might work to introduce newbies to the style.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Philip1 wrote:I'm drinking the Cascade Hop right now. No corn syrup detected. :D It's like a slightly less tasty version of St Ambroise Pale Ale, but stronger in alcohol. Had it come out 7 or 8 years ago I might've made it a regular but not today with the better selection available. Might work to introduce newbies to the style.
So you're saying it's a "gateway" beer...? :P :D

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

markaberrant wrote:... but I am surprised by how many Canadian craft brewers are still putting out mostly pedestrian/out of touch products... obviously it is still selling for them, but it shows how Canada is still quite a ways behind the US.
And it's weird how Canada's best new brewings seem to leapfrog ahead of beers like Tankhouse at the same time those much older 'standard bearers' rapidly slip down in relevance. I wonder what MS' marketing plan is, besides 'let's just keep going forward with beers X-Y-Z in our core lineup, ignoring everything else that has happened out there for years.' They can probably coast along on Tankhouse and Organic, at least for now...

Very odd brewery. I used to go to the distillery brewpub a lot, and the one-offs and new beers were usually just not that appealing. They apparently always lacked the (frankly, quality-driven) creative ambition of a Bellwoods or even, as it turns out, Amsterdam, Great Lakes, Muskoka and Nickel Brook. I always hoped they'd become an amazing micro brew pub & develop great new stuff.
In Beerum Veritas

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Belgian wrote:
markaberrant wrote:... but I am surprised by how many Canadian craft brewers are still putting out mostly pedestrian/out of touch products... obviously it is still selling for them, but it shows how Canada is still quite a ways behind the US.
And it's weird how Canada's best new brewings seem to leapfrog ahead of beers like Tankhouse at the same time those much older 'standard bearers' rapidly slip down in relevance. I wonder what MS' marketing plan is, besides 'let's just keep going forward with beers X-Y-Z in our core lineup, ignoring everything else that has happened out there for years.' They can probably coast along on Tankhouse and Organic, at least for now...

Very odd brewery. I used to go to the distillery brewpub a lot, and the one-offs and new beers were usually just not that appealing. They apparently always lacked the (frankly, quality-driven) creative ambition of a Bellwoods or even, as it turns out, Amsterdam, Great Lakes, Muskoka and Nickel Brook. I always hoped they'd become an amazing micro brew pub & develop great new stuff.
My guess is that with their limited success, they brought in some front office types that focus on branding and bottom line, instead of the craft.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I've been to Mill Street brewpub many times, and generally like their brews. I never thought they were stellar, but they do brew a variety of good stuff... heck, they even took the CBA's Best Brewery in Canada for 2007, 2008 and 2009.

They were once a leader, but it does seem they're starting to fall behind the trend.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Slightly behind the trend maybe. I was buying the odd growler from the store a few years ago, pumpkin and Frambozen, a few others. So much else has happened in 2-3 years though, from Mad Tom to Tempest, from Bellwoods' brilliant brew pub to Only Cafe widely expanding its taps. Crazy good stuff from Nickel Brook and others, plus actual decent national and USA imports... and every style that "new" is selling well (gee Ontario, who knew!)... might be a good time for brewers to keep their eye on the ball, from branding and image right through to quality control + the right degree of innovation.
In Beerum Veritas

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Belgian wrote:

It's entirely possible I'm wrong, but the good stuff coming out of MS at the moment seems to be coming from the Ottawa operation. Were things like Paradise and White Horse premiered at distillery or are they Ottawa creations? I thought it was the latter. I think Mill Street has been positioning themselves in the traditional style category and there's nothing wrong with that in my book.

I'm also not sure what you mean by "quality-driven creative ambition".
Craft beer hipster before it was cool

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Bytowner wrote:I'm also not sure what you mean by "quality-driven creative ambition".
I always felt the new brews at the Pub were a bit ragged, or lacked good style distinction or really any evident 'interest' in making the beer that amazing. I sensed there was never (or rarely) that keenness of intention you might get from a typical Bellwoods beer, or a number of examples other brewers I mentioned have put out lately.

'Traditional style category' is fine for a brewery though... then just sell to that and know what you are doing and being, I guess (not a standard-bearer of good Ontaio IPA for example.) I'll still drink MS Organic because it does exactly what it's supposed to and it's good.

* and we could probably get back on topic, LOL *
In Beerum Veritas

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

It seems to me that pretty much ever since Duggan left, Mill Street have been chasing the very light beer segment. I've heard it described as they stopped trying to make beer for me and started trying to make beer for my girlfriend. While obviously an unfair generalization, it does ring true a little. They seem to be putting a lot more energy behind things like their lemon tea and organic beers than anything else. Which is totally fine, it just means I'm not terribly interested.

I did like their tempest this year.

jprime

Post by jprime »

Mill Street put out out a beer called Tempest too?!!

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Tempest was Amsterdam, not Mill St.

I wish Mill Street would do wider releases of some of the beers that appear to be available at the pub only.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Oh right, my bad. Then I can't think of anything Mill St. have done that I like.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

I'm struggling to recall the last time I enjoyed a Mill St product, or saw one on the shelf that I thought I might be interested in.

Just to bring the discussion full circle - I find it odd that Keith's put out a more interesting beer than Mill St.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Haven't yet tried the Keith's Single Hop ales, but I doubt they are as interesting as the Mill St Oktoberfest, Coffee Porter or Cobblestone Stout
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »