Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Central City & Parallel 49 Mixed Packs

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Central City & Parallel 49 Mixed Packs

Post by Bytowner »

May as well have a chat about this BC invasion.

I've been through:
RR Pilsner
RR White
P49 Hoparazzi
P49 Gypsy Tears

The Parallel 49 is the winner so far. Both the IPL and Red are very good. I'd be lying if I could tell you the IPL was noticeably a lager, though, in a head-to-head with the quite hoppy Gypsy, the finish on the Hoparazzi is definitely quite clean. The Gypsy itself is full of character. Deep malt and nice bittering hops, kind of like a grown up Tankhouse.

Let down by both the Central City brews. White lacks the flavours you want from a wit and I'll have to give the pilsner another chance, it was cool and out of the can.

If the Parallel sticks around long enough this will definitely be my summer sixer. Looking forward to the Old Boy.

EDIT: As it warms the Hoparazzi certainly starts to show its true colours and turns into a nice hoppy pilsner-ish brew.
Craft beer hipster before it was cool

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I'm loving P49. Too bad you didn't get the Lord of the Hops.

I think the Hoparazzi is a bit like Anchor Liberty (maybe a little Brooklyn Lager too).

And yeah, anyone that liked the Tankhouse should like the Gypsy Tears even more.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Gypsy Tears was a standout so far, and I found the Red Racer White Ale very 'more-ish' - the lightness lends itself to sessioning this time of year, and more than some people I enjoyed the simple fresh lemony-tropical-light pear fruit flavors very much. I like that it's different from Unibroue BDC or Dominus Vobiscum Blanche beers - both have more flavor density, the DV is standout and the Chambly is an infallable standard-bearer.

The 49 Brown Ale and Racer Pale were both totally fine IMO, actually the Brown is a truly nice nutty-toffee session monster, again, that I could settle into several of. And could you buy a very similar brown ale made locally? I'd say yes (Hockley Datk, Wellington Dark, Black Oak Nut Brown are a few that come to mind.)

Mikkeller Jackie Brown would be a hell of a lot different an offering, here's hoping one day!
In Beerum Veritas

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Belgian wrote:...I found the Red Racer White Ale very 'more-ish' - the lightness lends itself to sessioning this time of year, and more than some people I enjoyed the simple fresh lemony-tropical-light pear fruit flavors very much. I like that it's different from Unibroue BDC or Dominus Vobiscum Blanche beers - both have more flavor density, the DV is standout and the Chambly is an infallable standard-bearer.
I don't think there's anything wrong with the wit, I have no doubt they made the beer they wanted to make, the patio wheat style that my BC friends seem especially fond of. The lighter side of wheat has just never been my cup of tea, none less so than the dreaded kristalweizen or American Wheat.

I think a proper wit can be perfectly acceptable as a summer sessionable, though I would agree on the BDC and DV. I could, however, drink a barrel full of St. Bernie and I think that's about as 'proper' as you get.
Craft beer hipster before it was cool

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

I picked up both mixed packs and have had everything except the Old Boy Ale so far. My initial thoughts:

The Red Racer Pale and Pilsner were both good but nothing I would seek out again. I really enjoyed the white ale though and I think it was for the reasons already mentioned. It is a great beer for sitting on the patio on a sunny summer day.

As for the Parallel 49: I think I am in the minority here but I really didn't care for the gypsy tears. I didn't get any of the citrus that many people seem to get from that one. I found it very sweet and not nearly as hopped as I would have liked. The IPL was pretty good but nothing to write home about.

Overall I think both are decent enough mixed packs but I don't see these having any longevity in the Ontario market (not sure if that is the intent or not).

IPA_Lover

Post by IPA_Lover »

I thought the whole Central City pack was just kinda....meh. The Pale Ale is a nice little sessionable beer and the other two were just ok.

Honestly was hoping for a bit more but I guess it is what it is. I don't know a whole lot about this brewery but remember everything going crazy for the IPA before it was first released here in ON.
^^^Hop-head ^^^

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Liked the Pils and Pale in the Red Racer pack, the White had a certain flavour profile I just didn't enjoy. The Gypsy Tears was definitely the best in the 49th pack, with Hopparazzi and Old Boy being pretty plain offerings for their respective styles.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

Really regret picking this over a 6 of Naughty Neighbour last week. Oh well, it's nice to try new things.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Grabbed the unparallel pack, only had the Hoparazzi so far and enjoyed it.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Gypsy Tears is the only one I'd purchase again out of the unparalleled pack.