Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Collective Arts Rhyme and Reason

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Collective Arts Rhyme and Reason

Post by matt7215 »

355ml bottle from the LCBO. hazed peachy orange with a lasting white head. big hoppy nose, great use of multiple hops the malt body is appropriately in the background. the flavour is progressive and full. quite dry, and hoppy but still manages to have balanced bitterness. wonderfully expressive. ryan morrow is simply killing it.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

whoa, 4.7 on ratebeer - you really like this stuff!

look out heady topper? ;)
matt7215 wrote:355ml bottle from the LCBO. hazed peachy orange with a lasting white head. big hoppy nose, great use of multiple hops the malt body is appropriately in the background. the flavour is progressive and full. quite dry, and hoppy but still manages to have balanced bitterness. wonderfully expressive. ryan morrow is simply killing it.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

spinrsx wrote:whoa, 4.7 on ratebeer - you really like this stuff!

look out heady topper? ;)
matt7215 wrote:355ml bottle from the LCBO. hazed peachy orange with a lasting white head. big hoppy nose, great use of multiple hops the malt body is appropriately in the background. the flavour is progressive and full. quite dry, and hoppy but still manages to have balanced bitterness. wonderfully expressive. ryan morrow is simply killing it.
the first time I had Heady I rated it a 4.6 on RB

just had it again last weekend and although still good it was not what i remembered.

huge hop nose, not a lot of hop flavour and just crushing bitterness, the malt body was also a little akward. still a great beer but more in the 3.9-4.1 range rather then 4.5+

andrewrg
Bar Fly

Post by andrewrg »

I had this at Thirst and Miserable the other day and was really impressed. Totally agree with Matt on this.

heebes

Post by heebes »

Picked up a 6 pack today and thoroughly enjoyed. Very fresh tasting and hoppy. Nice to hear that its even comparable to some of the nicer US pale offerings.

So this brewer is also behind some of the newest Nickle Brook beers? One to watch for sure. Looking forwward to the Boleshkiv Bastard bottles coming in the mixed pack that I'm sure R Morrow had a hhand in creating.

schomberger

Post by schomberger »

So the descriptions above have got me intrigued...

I'm wondering, is this beer similar at all to Naughty Neighbour or is there some other comparable currently at the LCBO?

Streets

Post by Streets »

I'm not sure if the hop profile is the same (Rhyme uses citra, chinook, centennial & simcoe), but I had one immediately following a week old bottle of Naughty Neighbour last night and found the Rhyme to be more flavourful, but not quite as bitter up front as the Neighbour. The Rhyme has a nice bitter finish, but is a bit sweeter I think, probably due to the more robust malt backbone and extra 1%/abv ;)

And the art on the labels has been impressive so far; I can't imagine the logistics of producing ~90 unique labels for the same beer!

jrenihan

Post by jrenihan »

Add one more to the list of fans of this beer. I may not be quite as effusive in my praise as some others, but I have certainly been enjoying the sixer I bought. A very promising start to this brewery!
Ren

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

jrenihan wrote:Add one more to the list of fans of this beer. I may not be quite as effusive in my praise as some others, but I have certainly been enjoying the sixer I bought. A very promising start to this brewery!
Ren
One more in me, too! Had my first one yesterday from King and Spadina. Nice hop flavour.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

schomberger

Post by schomberger »

Well, you guys convinced me to give it a try and I'm glad; it's exactly as described above. Not as bitter as Neighbour, a little heavier body and a touch sweeter; a great pale ale alternative. Our quality local options just keep expanding. Next we need some good local unflavoured porter options...

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

schomberger wrote: Next we need some good local unflavoured porter options...
Hells yes!!!

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

matt7215 wrote:
schomberger wrote: Next we need some good local unflavoured porter options...
Hells yes!!!
I vote for Harry Porter in cans!
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

This thread also inspired me to pick up a 6 pack. Drinking my first bottle tonight.

It is solid and definitely one of Ontario's better pale ales but I think I expected more based on this thread...

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:This thread also inspired me to pick up a 6 pack. Drinking my first bottle tonight.

It is solid and definitely one of Ontario's better pale ales but I think I expected more based on this thread...
I'm with you on that. I did the same thing and enjoyed my sixer, but I expected more from the way people are talking about it here. It's good, one of the better options if you need to pick up a sixer to go to a friend's place or something, but I'm not going out of my way to get more of it.

schomberger

Post by schomberger »

Yeah, I don't think I'd go out of my way to get it either, especially if Neighbour or Canuck were sitting there in front of me at whichever LCBO I happened to be at. However, I do think this beer is a good interchangeable option for Neighbour, which I really enjoy, but don't often go out of my way for either.