Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Collective Arts Rhyme and Reason

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

schomberger wrote:Yeah, I don't think I'd go out of my way to get it either, especially if Neighbour or Canuck were sitting there in front of me at whichever LCBO I happened to be at. However, I do think this beer is a good interchangeable option for Neighbour, which I really enjoy, but don't often go out of my way for either.
I really liked the contrast between full hop flavour, with the lack of bitterness. It's something I don't really find in much local stuff. It reminds me a little of Centennial IPA in the way that it's hopped.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

JeffPorter wrote: I really liked the contrast between full hop flavour, with the lack of bitterness.
Jeff, are you saying that you found R&R to be full of hop flavour without the big bitterness? If so, that's interesting because I found exactly the opposite of the bottle I had last night.

schomberger

Post by schomberger »

I'm on numero 3 from my sixer right now and I have to agree with Jeff; this beer is all about hop flavour, bitterness is more an afterthought.

Droogy

Post by Droogy »

JeffPorter wrote: It reminds me a little of Centennial IPA in the way that it's hopped.
I also had this same thought!

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
JeffPorter wrote: I really liked the contrast between full hop flavour, with the lack of bitterness.
Jeff, are you saying that you found R&R to be full of hop flavour without the big bitterness? If so, that's interesting because I found exactly the opposite of the bottle I had last night.

"Lacking" in bitterness is probably an exaggeration, but as shomberger said, I find it to be more of an afterthought.

Interesting about your bottle - maybe our taste buds are opposites and complimentary (!)

Although I may have spoke too soon about the "local option" as the Bellwoods Cat Lady is all juicy simcoe hoppy goodness - much better than their simcoe monogamy, IMHO, and more like Johnny Simoce (even though in this beer, there's more than just the one hop.)
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

heebes

Post by heebes »

Another reason to love this beer is they bottle date and its easy to find just above the label. Packaged on date, none of this best before crap. Genius...

Obviously room for debate but I'd put this better than Naughty and miles above Crazy Canuck.

One of my favourites in Ontario right now.

zane9

Post by zane9 »

Collective Arts Brewing tweeted yesterday that they are bottling Saint of Circumstance Citrus-Infused Blonde Ale.

Should be available now (or soon) in Toronto bars and restaurants. No specific info on if/when it will be in LCBO outlets.

heebes

Post by heebes »

Was RnR a one off then? Haven't see any bottling dates after Sep 20, and these ones are starting to fade.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

heebes wrote:Was RnR a one off then? Haven't see any bottling dates after Sep 20, and these ones are starting to fade.
There will be more R&R coming at some point, as they are just about to do judging on the artwork for a second series of labels. Not sure when they're planning to brew & release it, though.

I had my last bottle of the Sept batch the other night, and yeah, the hops had dropped a bit. Still a solid beer, but definitely one that needs to be drunk fresh to really get the full impact.

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

I picked up a 6-pack on Saturday and all the bottles have the 10-10-13 code on them. Not super fresh, but if it's this tasty after a month and a bit, I'm going to have to grab a 6-pack of the next batch the second it hits the shelves. Been a while since I had that nice a hop blend.

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

I just picked up a 6pk bottled November 20th and it's fantastic. The last bottles I had was the first batch 5-6 weeks old and it fallen off quite a bit I thought. I still haven't had fresh NN (has anybody in Ottawa? at least for LCBO bottles) but I prefer them...

R&R
CC
NN

But honestly, I never see them all fresh at the same store so there's never much of a decision. I'm not too picky, whatever is fresh can make it's home in my fridge for a few weeks.

Also I don't know what's up with the date stamps but I must have gone through 7-8 bottles before I found one that wasn't partly smudged off.

heebes

Post by heebes »

Oh yeah these Nov 20 bottlings are tasting mighty fine.

Best hoppy Pale in Ontario!

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

January 18 bottles on the shelves. :D

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

None of mine had date stamps, where are they located? Neck of the bottle? Or on the packaging?

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

Half an inch above the label in black lettering. A few of mine have been rubbed out on every 6pk I've bought.