Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LTM Porter Baltique 2013 and 2010

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

LTM Porter Baltique 2013 and 2010

Post by midlife crisis »

I did a side by side tasting of these recently - the 2010 being the vintage Keep6 brought in the year before this became an LCBO seasonal. Both are very good in their own right, but I prefer the aged version. I find it to be much richer, with the dark chocolate and port wine flavours bigger and much to the fore. I was enjoying the 2013, which I opened first, and got good complexity with black cherry, licorice and milk chocolate. But having now had a glass of 2010 there is no comparison, really. I'll be laying the rest of my 2013s down for a couple of years! Very impressive beer.

The Mick

Post by The Mick »

Awesome! I have a 2010 bottle I've been thinking about cracking. Glad to hear it's in fine form.
I don't always drink beer ... because sometimes my friends win and we have to go to macro-only establishments.

Rob2013

Post by Rob2013 »

Good to hear. I discovered this last year and it was one of my absolute favourites. I don't think I've any left but I'll save a couple from this year to age a bit.

schomberger

Post by schomberger »

I seem to remember some controversy around this beer when it first appeared a couple of years ago; if I recall correctly there were a number of us who found a distinct and unexpected tartness that seemed out of place. I think some thought they had a bad batch, others thought it was just part of the beer's complexity / LTM's artistic license, while others noticed no such trait. I was one of those who was somewhat put-off or at least disappointed and haven't had it again, until right now...

This one is delicious---I'm loving the malt, I'm loving the hops, and I'm going to buy more!

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

schomberger wrote:I seem to remember some controversy around this beer when it first appeared a couple of years ago; if I recall correctly there were a number of us who found a distinct and unexpected tartness that seemed out of place. I think some thought they had a bad batch, others thought it was just part of the beer's complexity / LTM's artistic license, while others noticed no such trait. I was one of those who was somewhat put-off or at least disappointed and haven't had it again, until right now...

This one is delicious---I'm loving the malt, I'm loving the hops, and I'm going to buy more!
Those 2011 bottles are getting better too...The woody cherry characters are more integrated with the chocolatey malts. It also seems a lot drier and less cloying than when it was younger. I remember that one post on BA that (by the brewer, I believe) saying that he didn't think this would age well, and It's ageing very nicely.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

schomberger wrote:I seem to remember some controversy around this beer when it first appeared a couple of years ago; if I recall correctly there were a number of us who found a distinct and unexpected tartness that seemed out of place. I think some thought they had a bad batch, others thought it was just part of the beer's complexity / LTM's artistic license, while others noticed no such trait. I was one of those who was somewhat put-off or at least disappointed and haven't had it again, until right now...

Yeah, as Jeff says, the vintage you are referring to is 2011. That was the first year it appeared at the LCBO, but Keep6 had brought it in the year previously on a private order. The aged one I opened was a 2010. The 2010 didn't have that tart, barnyard character, even when young, that the 2011 definitely had.