Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Founders Features

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Founders Features

Post by JeffPorter »

Thought I'd bring the discussion over here, about the different beers, so the other thread can be kept for discussing where to find them.

And just to start off the discussion...

I think this porter wins head over heals if put up against Deshutes, but maybe I'm missing something here. I feel like I could drink this all night. Rich, chocolatey, balanced. Crazy drinkable. I'd like to taste it against Harry Porter, but this is probably the best porter I've ever had.

Probably sounds crazy, but I think I like it more than the BS.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

heebes

Post by heebes »

The Porter is a step above Deschutes to be sure.

Buy cases of the Breakfast Stout. Just an amazingly complex beer that is relatively fresh with biiter coffee flavours up front that will mellow over time and still be a great oatmeal/choc stout.

Pale ale is servicable but agreed its not going to be a restocked 6er in the fridge too often.

Backwoods is great. Dirty too if you're a scoth ale fan.

Good thread jeff!

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

Had a bottle of Dirty Bastard earlier. Smooth, sweet caramel butterscoth, went down fast and got none of the 8.5%. Not super complex, but for someone who generally dislikes scotch ales I quite enjoyed it (though it seemed quite tame compared to some of the others I've had...sounds like Backwoods is the opposite).

Looking forward to the rest should I find them.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

I prefer the Deschutes, however they are entirely different porters. Deschutes is more of a plain porter, and absolutely flawless. Founders is boarding on a robust porter, and while great, HFS Everett is better.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

MatttthewGeorge wrote: HFS Everett is better.
Everett is one of the best porters out there. Period.

I haven't picked up any of the Founders release bottles yet, but I've had the porter many times and I absolutely love it. I definitely think that it drinks like a robust porter, so a comparison to Black Butte really isn't an apples to apples comparison.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

I did forget about the "robust" element with Founders as opposed to Decshutes. It is a much bigger beer. But, man - it seems to do so much more with just over a 1% difference.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

heebes wrote:The Porter is a step above Deschutes to be sure.

Buy cases of the Breakfast Stout. Just an amazingly complex beer that is relatively fresh with bitter coffee flavours up front that will mellow over time and still be a great oatmeal/choc stout.

Pale ale is serviceable but agreed its not going to be a restocked 6er in the fridge too often.

Backwoods is great. Dirty too if you're a scotch ale fan.
^ What he said. ^

Also, I generally hate scotch ales but the Dirty Bastard is a doozy. The cherry aromas and higher-than-usual bitterness perfectly compliment the earthy-peaty notes, toffee sweetness, and toasty malt flavours. Mouthfeel is smooth as silk too. Just a great beer all around.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

JeffPorter wrote:I think this porter wins head over heals -

Probably sounds crazy, but I think I like it more than the BS.
At least you can keap your BT name which still seams appropriate.

Porters rock dude. No crazy there.
In Beerum Veritas

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Count me as another huge fan of the Founders Porter. Gorgeous stuff.

Picked up a case of the Breakfast at King & Spadina this morning. They've been showing 66 units (11 cases) in stock for a few days now, but there was none on the shelf. Guy found it in the back for me, so if anyone is there looking for it later, you might have to do the same unless he drags some more out.

Now, I just have to hope the wife will let me drink some, what with it being her favourite beer in the world...

schomberger

Post by schomberger »

Loving the porter, wishing it could be a permanent listing or that an Ontario brewer could take up the challenge and brew something similar or, god forbid, better--if that's possible in Ontario..(?)

The Backwoods is the pleasant surprise of the release for me, as the thought of scotch ale didn't really excite me too much, but WOW! Massive flavour really blew me away; I even prefer it to the outstanding Breakfast stout.

Random thought: What kind of brewery releases a 8.5% scotch ale as their flagship brew? Self confident, ballsy, risk taking innovators? I think this attitude is really what's been lacking in Ontario, which relates back to my porter comment.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

The Porter is quite nice. It is very smooth and quaffable. I do wish it was a little less than 6.5% abv, because it is very sessionable otherwise. Great Lakes has proved beyond any doubt, to me at least, that an outstanding Porter can also be a low abv one.

I must say I don't understand the love for the Breakfast Stout at all. Sweet start, astringent finish. Meh. Give me a Tempest any day.

Maybe I'm a contrarian, but I feel exactly the same way about this brewery as I did when the Centennial was released here in the summer - good stuff, quite nice, but completely inaccurate to say it is head and shoulders above what we have in Ontario.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I'm enjoying the Breakfast Stout right now, I agree slightly astringent (at first) but beautiful full balanced double-chocolate malt sweetness rounds it out. Really nice. I like it better than the aged bottle Matt gave me, and my advice would be do not have to age, necessarily. Those of you with access to Péché Mortél are not missing much.

Now if I can find some damn Porter I will buy that and be in seventh heaven... by the sounds of it.
In Beerum Veritas

schomberger

Post by schomberger »

Great Lakes brews some excellent beers but many / most of those are seasonal or only available at the brewery or in select downtown TO pubs; for example, Harry Porter which i'd love to try and would be right there buying a sixer at the LCBO if i could...my point on Founders is that their robust porter, impy stout, ipa and scotch ales are their everyday offerings.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Yes, fair enough, and the Porter is excellent, agreed. I tried it beside a Nutcracker yesterday and they were close, but the Founders is superior. I haven't tried the Impy Stout so can't comment. IPA (All Day IPA?) I sampled at the ballpark in Detroit this summer and it was fine but no better than 10BY, Cameron's IPA, various offerings from GLB or Bellwoods, IMO (I concede your point that the latter two aren't widely distributed). Is the Scotch Ale the Backwoods Bastard? If so I look forward to trying that still.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Belgian wrote:Now if I can find some damn Porter I will buy that and be in seventh heaven... by the sounds of it.
There was still a fair bit at Yonge and Eglinton on Saturday.