Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Founders Features

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

schomberger

Post by schomberger »

^^By impy I was refering to the breakfast which is its category on RB (though I now realize Founders has a plain impy too).

The backwoods is the scotch I refered to.

I've never tried the all day ipa but I agree some of our Ontarian ipas, like the ones you mentioned, are coming along nicely and are more than worthy of comparison. However, I just find that most of our breweries only REGULARLY / year round produce one or two products that I really like and six others that are meh or worse.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

schomberger wrote:^^By impy I was refering to the breakfast which is its category on RB (though I now realize Founders has a plain impy too)...
What's funny is some coffee imperial stouts are really just more interesting than their equivalent without the coffee. I would say DDC Grande Noirceur is still a nice brew but without the added 2 shots espresso of Peche Mortel there are some dimensions missing.

This doesn't always apply - and of course there could be a bit of mental comparison interfering with objectivity as well! - but coffee stouts almost deserve their own class. Certainly not every barrel-aged or flavored stout overshadows its basic imperial counterpart (and maybe basic imperials age better in some ways?)
In Beerum Veritas

schomberger

Post by schomberger »

^I agree. When additional ingredients like chocolate or coffee are added it doesn't make a fair comparison to grade a beer to one that stays within the basic four ingredients; so comparing the breakfast with peche and deciding which is better makes sense to me, but not comparing against regular tempest or any other plain impy. So, yeah, Flavoured Stout, except then my line of reasoning would suggest separating coffee stouts from chocolate stouts etc etc... way too much time on my hands--I think I'll go have a stout!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I just noticed I have a Founders Imperial Stout, lurking in my cellar from a recent trip yet somehow forgotten. Weird coincidence! I will try this decaf version soon.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Founders Porter is surprisingly full without being too sweet, overtones of toffee and roast.

Dirty Bastard is really complex and multi-layered, very fruity but not in an english way.

Had the Porter fairly cold and Bastard cool room temp. Why didn't I grab these sooner, these are very full-tasting and kick-ass brews at a fair price point, so thank YOU Founders and the importers...

** - edit - **

The Pale Ale is super nice everyday beer, even from the bottle which is how I enjoy this one most. It's hoppy enough yet refreshing.
In Beerum Veritas