Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Beard of Zeus!

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Beard of Zeus!

Post by JeffPorter »

I snagged a couple of the last brewery bottles. There were about 4 left when I was there at around 4:30 today.

Firstly, this is the first beer I've ever had that has a "best after" date (Dec 31, 2014).

Pours a very dark brown - maybe somewhere between a scotch ale and porter. Off-white head pops up, and then quickly disappears.

Aroma is beautiful - sticky toffee pudding, raisins, oak, vanilla. Bourbon, obviously. Somewhat of a floral notes from the hops.

First thing about the taste is the heat. They're not kidding that these bottles need to settle down for a bit. It's a little hard to decipher the hops for the heat of the booze, and I'm realizing that the 28 IBUs, is probably pretty accurate. It becomes a little difficult to pick out the flavours, here, but the deep rich fruity malts do blend nicely with the barrel flavours, and then the booze comes back for the finish.

Don't let the sharp booziness fool you - it works well together, and in a year, this thing is going to be a delicious desserty malt bomb with great barrel flavours.

To celebrate the release on Thursday (in my house), I cracked a bottle of the year old BBARIS from a year ago. Some of you may remember the sharpness when it was young - you'll be pleased to know that it's an absolute star a year later. The bourbon-barrel fades nicely into the flavours of a well aged stout.

I'm positive the same will happen to this.

Having said all that don't deny yourself the pleasure of trying one fresh. I think you may surprise yourself how drinkable it is, but you may want to make it your only bottle for the night. :wink:

It's delicious, and a value at 9.95, but not something I would hoard only because I'd want lots of people to have access. Far be it from me to tell people how to shop and drink, but I think it would be great if we could get as many people to try this as possible. Certainly, though, make sure you buy at least one to age and one to try now.

And if you could grab some for friends in regions where they might not have access, all the better. And even that may change - with the 25th Anniversary BBARIS, I was really happy when a case made it to my Brampton, local, so here's hoping for the best.

Cheers,

J.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

heebes

Post by heebes »

based on the latest video from chris schryer; he'll have the bread of zeus soon...

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

had this last night, really enjoyed it. It will be better in a year or so, but it is still very good right now. Reminded me of the founders backwoods bastard but with more of a kick.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

This is of course our own Great Lakes Beard of Zeus, since I had to remind myself.

Some fellow called Josh Rubin explains it here as well... It appears to be a good value Ontario 650ml given the year-long bourbon aging that significantly adds flavor and boosts the ABV.
In Beerum Veritas

jrenihan

Post by jrenihan »

I think Josh's review is on the money. It is way too hot right now; just a monster. Hopefully it will calm down with time, because there are some nice flavours, but I have to admit I am a bit skeptical that time will result in a serious improvement to the drinkability. Here's hoping - I will be giving it a shot!
Ren

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

spinrsx wrote: had this last night, really enjoyed it. It will be better in a year or so, but it is still very good right now. Reminded me of the Founders Backwoods Bastard but with more of a kick.
Belgian wrote: It appears to be a good value Ontario 650ml given the year-long bourbon aging that significantly adds flavor and boosts the ABV.
Agreed. This beer is the real deal and the bourbon notes are exceptionally well-integrated. Sure, it's big and boozy and viscous, but that's what I expect from a barrel-aged barley wine. I also think the aging reco is a ballsy move in this market as I doubt many brewers would be willing to slap a Best After Dec. '14 sticker on their product for fear of lack of sales. Anyway, it's great to see locally crafted beers like this finally making their way to store shelves and I'll likely buy a couple more bottles before this disappears.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I also think the aging reco is a ballsy move Best After Dec. '14 for fear of lack of sales.
I think a wee thousand-bottle run has great promotional value for the GLB brand overall, this is a cool non-commercial thing they do (a 'flagship' product to garner attention and media) that doesn't impact much on their main revenue stream of their usual / profitable beers I would guess? i mean look at Stone "ENJOY BY" IPA and tell me that awkward novelties are not often popular ones. I think it's cool.

Teichert Smoked Porter was the Amsterdam one-off Kyle did if you remember... respect to Kyle! 8)
In Beerum Veritas

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Belgian wrote: this is a cool non-commercial thing they do...that doesn't impact much on their main revenue stream of their usual / profitable beers I would guess? i mean look at Stone "ENJOY BY" IPA and tell me that awkward novelties are not often popular ones. I think it's cool.
I don't doubt that this will sell well, but I can't recall another Ontario brewer making a Best After reco with one of their retail products and in that regard it's an envelope-pushing move. I also think it'll educate some beer-curious consumers about beer aging, which is great.
Belgian wrote: Teichert Smoked Porter was the Amsterdam one-off Kyle did if you remember...respect to Kyle! 8)
Wouldn't know anything about that: http://bit.ly/1cmjtlK
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

I've judged some of those homebrew contests, and Teichert's a monster. I'm amazed no one has snapped him up yet as a pro.
saintjohnswort.ca

Swampale

Post by Swampale »

Picked up one the other day and promptly put it down in my beer cellar. I haven't tried one yet, but the reviews here are so positive that I don't need to try it yet.
TaxFreeBeerTastesBetter

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

cratez wrote:
Belgian wrote: Teichert Smoked Porter was the Amsterdam one-off Kyle did if you remember...respect to Kyle! 8)
Wouldn't know anything about that: http://bit.ly/1cmjtlK
I can't say it enough apparently.
In Beerum Veritas

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

I recall this beer having a "best after Dec 2014" sticker on it. Anyone cracked one open recently? How is it drinking?

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I had some at the GLB/Amsterdam takeover at Barhop a little while ago and it was drinking very, very well. Still had a pronounced hop note and a nice balanced level of malt/heat behind it. I really enjoyed it.

ckoop

Post by ckoop »

Opened one on Thanksgiving and thoroughly enjoyed it as well. One left, so I'll probably age it for a while, but I could drink it now and be happy as well.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

drank a bottle of this last night, it was amazing. Much better than when I had it fresh. They need to make this beer again.