Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Liefman Goudenband

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Liefman Goudenband

Post by G.M. Gillman »

The newly arrived tall bottle at LCBO, tissued-wrapped.

One can admire the style without loving the beer. It is lactic- (not acetic-) sourish, with a light brettanomyces note, some sweetness from the young beer blended with the aged, and withal tasting like a brown ale mixed with an English artisan cider.

A classic regional taste and where I see its vocation is to drink with meals, with rich stews and double-fried chips and creamy seafood dishes, but on its own, not so much.

Gary
Gary Gillman

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Oh man that Goudenband is one acidic beer - you are right that more than one serving calls for some hearty food or hello stomach pains. Sauteed herbed cream chicken and belgian Frites would put this one right over the edge... or just some dumplings & good braised meats like the Beretta Farm blade steaks I cooked in red wine.

By the way could also marinate & braise meats in Goudenband. Maybe that's my next Carbonnade Flamande, which actually often calls calls for a flemish sour.
In Beerum Veritas

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Indeed and I will use my remaining half-bottle for a carbonnade!

Gary
Gary Gillman

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

G.M. Gillman wrote:Indeed and I will use my remaining half-bottle for a carbonnade!

Gary
My thinking too - in fact, I may get some just for this reason...so many carbonnade recipes call for something like a leffe bruin and then to add some vinegar to it...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Yes and I would think the idea of adding vinegar to beer as used in the Flemish beef carbonnade recipe was to emulate an old brown style or lambic. At the same time, I think a little sugar is necessary, it takes the edge of even regular (non-sour) beers and rounds out the taste. You don't need a lot, maybe a tablespoon for a kilo of beef.

Funny thing about carbonnade, I'v tried it with all kinds of meat, even venison, but it always tastes best with beef. There is a pork version though I have in an old Belgian cook book which advises faro (or you could use lambic and some sugar again) that is particularly good.

Gary
Gary Gillman

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

One final thing I'd say about carbonnade or any braise with beer, Good homemade veal or beef stock is also key in neutralizing some of the harsher beer flavours.

Haven't done a batch of veal stock yet this season, so I'm fresh out...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Bison for Carbonnade really works. Usually did this with Trois Pistoles which adds the port-winey flavors that meld incredibly well.
In Beerum Veritas

ECBS

Post by ECBS »

I'm no cook myself, but my mouth is sure watering over all this talk of Carbonnade. Do any of you have a tried & true recipe that incorporates Goudenband or a similar beer? I just picked up a few bottles and, from what you guys have been saying, I'm starting to think that drinking them straight-up may prove to be a bit of a challenge...

Beer'n'gin

Post by Beer'n'gin »

I would also really like to get your recipe and is Cuvée Des Jacobins Rouge a decent substitute for Goudenband?

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

having this beer for the first time now.. not as tart/lactic as I was expecting, but that's a good thing. Especially given the 750ml bottle size.

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

spinrsx wrote:having this beer for the first time now.. not as tart/lactic as I was expecting, but that's a good thing. Especially given the 750ml bottle size.
Glad to hear that. First time way back when trying a Geuze and reading the reviews I was a little apprehensive, after trying some no problem. I guess I always over-compensate, or is it over react?

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

It is nowhere near as sweet as Duchesse, but nowhere near as acidic as Rodenbach, let alone a true gueze like say Cantillon. Either way, it is a quality drink.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I recall from (2007?) the acidity is well-hidden in Goudenband because of the balancing sweetness - if you drink a few 375mls quickly (far too easy while enjoying the creamy texture and tart cherry/stone cellar flavors) you will feel the acidity in your gut a little.

All these qualities should make an awesome braising liquid. Maybe I'll try a full on beef brisket as I've not done one yet.
In Beerum Veritas