Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Saaz Republic Pilz

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Saaz Republic Pilz

Post by G.M. Gillman »

I saw this in Beer Store recently and went for it. Glad I did. To my surprise, as I never rated Big Rock very highly, this beer has the true Czech taste. It has a clean rich Saaz character, very similar to how it tastes in Urquell, only the body is lighter, not as sweet. Still excellent though, and locally on draft it must be a stunner.

Well done Big Rock, and good to see them still going after all these years.

Gary
Gary Gillman

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Tried this on the weekend, although the hop profile is well done as Gary notes, I found it had too much residual sweetness as if they had used a fair portion of CaraBelge or the like in the malt bill.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

I tried this about 6 months ago, and all I recall is the typical Big Rock house yeast character, which I cant stand. It was otherwise forgettable for me.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

By coincidence I just got back from New York where I had a pint of very fresh cold-shipped Pilsner Urquell, which may be unpasteurized (it tastes it to me). I found the Big Rock Saaz Pilz very similar, just a little lighter in body.

Odd how people can vary in assessments, I couldn't detect the "typical" Big Rock taste in it. I'll have to get a another can for further assessment. :)

Gary
Gary Gillman

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

I did sample a Firestone Walker Pivo Pils yesterday. Wow, hands down the best craft brewed pilsner I have ever tasted, and maybe the best period. Many hoppy craft pils have a bit of "raw" hop taste with an inordinate amount of fruitiness, but not this one. Refined and complex all the way, with a mellow bitterness of a Bohemian Pils that keeps you coming back for more.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

It was very good Mark but Urquell is better in my judgment. The Saphir taste is a little unusual IMO, it simply doesn't taste as good as Urqell although the other has 160 years (at least) on it. :)

Gary
Gary Gillman

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

I do enjoy fresh Urquell, but the Pivo Pils really blew me away, way better than the highly touted Victory Prima Pils.

The Mick

Post by The Mick »

Had this shortly before Christmas time and thought that it was really tasty. It was on tap at the Loon. Agree with what Gary said in the OP. Just a really nice beer.
I don't always drink beer ... because sometimes my friends win and we have to go to macro-only establishments.