Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

100 Mile Lager

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

lister wrote:The response doesn't bother me.

But then again I think some of you here deserve a response such as that.

And I'm going to deserve the responses to my response. :wink:

IMO the line for unprofessional responses is pretty much Peter at esprit. Brad's doesn't even come close. Not that Peter's conduct has bothered me much either.

You wonder why breweries don't post much...
Perhaps a well constructed rebuttal addressing the points made previous to his would've been of more value than a snide, sarcasm-laden riposte. You're in a public market, some degree of professionalism is warranted. It's your product. YOU brewed it, YOU (should) stand by it.

Or maybe the criticism just hit way too close to home?

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

FEUO wrote:groundswells of neck beards
I RESEMBLE THAT REMARK

:wink:

FEUO

Post by FEUO »

liamt07 wrote:
FEUO wrote:groundswells of neck beards
I RESEMBLE THAT REMARK

:wink:
Awww, muffin. ;)

BTW, I would like to try this beer out so I can formulate my own opinion on the quality of the beer..... not available in my area. Dang.

Weebay

Post by Weebay »

Liam made some cogent points and didn't just rip on them for making what, if the reviews are to be believed, is a pretty mediocre beer.

BradC came across as condescending, butt hurt, and then did the classic, I said what I wanted to say, you suck, and I won't be reading this thread any more, so you can't possibly fire back at me, K THX BYE.

A lot of people want different things out of their beer and Liam's post wasn't some kind of beersturbation thread about what a unique snowflake he is and he didn't turn around and try and rain down pitbulls and rape onto Brad's beer or his brewery.

If he is that sensitive to criticism he should likely stay out of the public eye or we may find him taking a nap in his garage with the car on, surrounded by Ontario hops.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Weebay wrote:Liam made some cogent points and didn't just rip on them for making what, if the reviews are to be believed, is a pretty mediocre beer.

BradC came across as condescending, butt hurt, and then did the classic, I said what I wanted to say, you suck, and I won't be reading this thread any more, so you can't possibly fire back at me, K THX BYE.

A lot of people want different things out of their beer and Liam's post wasn't some kind of beersturbation thread about what a unique snowflake he is and he didn't turn around and try and rain down pitbulls and rape onto Brad's beer or his brewery.

If he is that sensitive to criticism he should likely stay out of the public eye or we may find him taking a nap in his garage with the car on, surrounded by Ontario hops.
woah woah woah....let's back the truck up a bit...

Brad's mistake was posting a reply. he should do what most brewers on here do: read in silence, never ever defend what you do. if i open up a brewpub, the first thing i'll likely do is have my wife change my password so i can't post a reply to anyone critiquing my bar. no clue how the Bellwoods boys can bite their tongues when people on here and other websites blindly call their bar a hipster joint and dismiss everything they do, including prices and size of pours.

there's always a reason that someone does something. there was a reason this 100 Mile Lager was created. guys like me, Liam and a few others disagree with the reasoning and wish that resources would go elsewhere. Others like Bobsy have presented a strong argument as to why it was smart to create this beer.

but before you start to dismiss Brad for his ill-worded response, please put things in perspective. he isn't killing kittens or abducting children or vandalizing churches. Brad posted a legitimate, emotional response to Liam. if he's pissed off at what Liam said, then good. shows he somewhat cares and that - just maybe - this kind of feedback will sway him to release another beer that isn't as lame as the lager.

but don't call a boycott of his beer based on that one post. you might as well boycott Great Lakes for their highly-inappropriately-named "Busted Leg Tranny".

i'm not a mod, but i think we should let this topic die because it really has spiraled to a point where we're actively shitting on an entrepreneur and wishing them failure in what they do. the point of this thread is to review a beer, not a brewer.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

atomeyes wrote:woah woah woah....let's back the truck up a bit...

Brad's mistake was posting a reply. he should do what most brewers on here do: read in silence, never ever defend what you do. if i open up a brewpub, the first thing i'll likely do is have my wife change my password so i can't post a reply to anyone critiquing my bar...
It seems like a great opportunity to do some brilliant marketing, but for that you have to actually want the feedback you're asking for (not run away) and build on that. You know the way Roland & Russel communicates with us compared to, say, Esprit Agencies a few years ago? I highly respect R&R for tackling our concerns so smart and professionally, and not ever getting freaked out and thinking 'it's all about them' - which it never is - people frankly are only concerned with what they can get when they buy something from a business.

So - there's also an 100 Mile Ale out now as well and I'll be trying that and the 100 Mile Lager soon. Let's cover that on a new thread about the beers.
In Beerum Veritas

Swampale

Post by Swampale »

I can't buy any of those beers in my hometown but will if I see them at our LCBO. That Polish Lager is still there though, right, front and center.
TaxFreeBeerTastesBetter

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Belgian wrote: It seems like a great opportunity to do some brilliant marketing, but for that you have to actually want the feedback you're asking for (not run away) and build on that. You know the way Roland & Russel communicates with us compared to, say, Esprit Agencies a few years ago? I highly respect R&R for tackling our concerns so smart and professionally, and not ever getting freaked out and thinking 'it's all about them' - which it never is - people frankly are only concerned with what they can get when they buy something from a business.

So - there's also an 100 Mile Ale out now as well and I'll be trying that and the 100 Mile Lager soon. Let's cover that on a new thread about the beers.
Esprit is Esprit. remember that he's still well respected in the bar community, so take that for what it's worth. my frustration with Esprit is higher now than it was before, and that's a shame. it prevents me from spending $$ with him. his loss.

R&R isn't all honey and goldflakes. i've had some issues with them in the past. difficult to deal with. also dropped the ball on communicating. i was just about to poop on them for not bringing much to the market, but it looks like they've been busy over the past year.

http://www.rolandandrussell.com/Beer.html

Jolly Pumpkin's on there and they're being released soon. probably just annoyed that they can't convince Struise to send beer over here. I'd rather that R&R give Struise to Keep6, who had luck convincing De Molen and Cantillon to ship here. Perhaps Keep6 would be able to convince Struise's guys to give up on their (rational) hate of Ontario. we're being deprived of some killer beer.