Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Thrust, an IPA — Great Lakes Brewery

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

chris_schryer

Thrust, an IPA — Great Lakes Brewery

Post by chris_schryer »

I've just done a review on my blog, but this is an amazing IPA. Big juicy fruity hops, some dank and earthy notes. Just lovely.

Full review here: http://www.torontobeerblog.com/beer-rev ... s-brewery/

schomberger

Post by schomberger »

^ So how does it contrast / compare to Lake Effect in colour, aroma and taste?

chris_schryer

Post by chris_schryer »

I'm going on memory, but appearance-wise there in the same camp. Thrust is more fruity/tropical. Lake Effect I found to be more west-coast/citrus. If that makes sense.

jrenihan

Post by jrenihan »

I had this at Volo yesterday and also thought it was very good. I agree that it has a strong tropical fruit flavour to it. Hard to be sure without a side-by-side, but going on memory, I prefered it to Lake Effect.
Ren

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

chris_schryer wrote:I'm going on memory, but appearance-wise there in the same camp. Thrust is more fruity/tropical. Lake Effect I found to be more west-coast/citrus. If that makes sense.
I think you have it right, that was my impression too. Thrust also had more resinous flavours.

I think I liked Lake Effect better, but that's just personal preference for a flavour profile. They're both outstanding and fairly similar IPAs.
Last edited by Craig on Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

How about compared to Robohop? I've been craving more of that since last winter...

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I'd say it's much closer to Lake Effect than Robohop, but that's really straining the ol' memory.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Sounds like a beauty, love the juicy fruity hop beers.

heebes

Post by heebes »

really good. not often you get that 'american style' hop profile out of a canadian ipa. great job by Lackey

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I thought it was pretty nice. Building up bit grassy-bitter in the long finish (seems to be a Great Lakes thing) but approaches as a really nice 'juicy' IPA. I think all pale ales should look exactly this foggy color, too.
In Beerum Veritas

zane9

Post by zane9 »

Belgian wrote:... but approaches as a really nice 'juicy' IPA. I think all pale ales should look exactly this foggy color, too.
Yes to the "juicey-ness". I loved Lake Effect, and then this one steps forward as a winner.

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

If Great Lakes would take this and Lake Effect, and put them into the LCBO on a rotating, but year-round basis, they'd emerge as a front runner in the province I think.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

^I can get behind that type of thinking.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

Grey

Post by Grey »

Had this on tap at Loose Moose, and wow, for me this is the best IPA Great Lakes has produced. I agree with the earlier description about tropical citrus yet it tasted perfectly balanced. I was surprised it is 7% in that it was so drinkable.

For me it is the first Great Lakes IPA to really challenge me with the question "would I rather drink Founders Centennial?" and I think the answer is "no... this is brilliant!"

Well done Great Lakes, well done!

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Congrats to Great Lakes for Thrust taking in a gold at the CBA's
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo