Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Lowenbrau

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Lowenbrau

Post by G.M. Gillman »

This storied Munich beer has been an import for years here but for whatever reason, it rarely tastes right to me. Often there is a chlorine-like note or a weird earthy tone, similar to some other German or Austrian beers. I figure it's probably that they don't travel well and although I try to read the codes properly, I am getting them too old. Well the other day I checked a code again and it seemed to suggest the canning was done in February, thus about 8 weeks old and comparable to Urquell in freshness, say. This assumes they use a 12 month expiration window because the expiration is "02.15" but no packaging date is given here, no "02.14". I think though it probably uses a 12 month system.

This can is a winner. No funky smell, but just a clean beery smell and taste slightly to the dry side of the palate. Good bitterness but very well blended into the malt. It's not a strong taste by craft standards but a good one, and I imagine locally on draft, unpasteurized, would be all the better. But this export version is more than acceptable. It has a mineral, drying, winy-like taste and no lager yeast sulphides, not in this case anyway (I find even well-known names vary in this regard, sometimes the lager sulphur is quite forward, other times it is absent or almost).

And so finally I get the pre-WW I ad that went round the world: "When you're out of Champagne, bring out the Lowenbrau". Quite.

Gary
Gary Gillman

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

G.M. Gillman wrote:just a clean beery smell
Thanks for confirming this for us.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I found that most of their stuff was basically mass-market factory beer, and a little more generic than the other big Munich breweries. They do have a long history, so I've wondered if it was always somewhat watered-down and muted?

All that said, their Dopplebock is actually quite good.

I've always like the Franziskaner hefeweizen as well. Good beer can come from a big factory!

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

liamt07 wrote:
Thanks for confirming this for us.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

G.M. Gillman wrote:... expiration is "02.15"
Just had one of these cans. Enjoyed it very much as well!