Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Great Lakes & Amsterdam Team Up Again - EZRA

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Great Lakes & Amsterdam Team Up Again - EZRA

Post by Pub Style »

Great Lakes Brewery and Amsterdam Brewery Team Up Again For LCBO Collaboration Release

Toronto, ON (June 10, 2014) - Two of Toronto’s oldest independently owned and operated craft breweries, Great Lakes Brewery (2013 & 2014 Canadian Brewery of the Year) and Amsterdam Brewery, are set to release the second beer in their ongoing collaboration series this week – EZRA: Cider Barrel-Aged Farmhouse Ale.

This beer was brewed in collaboration with Toronto’s Amsterdam Brewing Co. and has been barrel-aged in cider barrels from Caledon’s Spirit Tree Cidery. Ezra died on the day we brewed with the folks from Amsterdam. He was a good dog. This beer’s for him.

The name Ezra refers to Great Lakes’ Brew Master Mike Lackey’s late dog Ezra, who unfortunately passed away the day that the Farmhouse Ale was first brewed.

Four Spirit Tree cider barrels were filled with the Farmhouse Ale at different times throughout 2013 and 2014 and aged from anywhere from 3 months up to 1 year. Those beers were then blended to create a lovely funky aroma of barrel, sour mashed apple, barnyard notes and some spicy yeast characteristics. The taste yields much of the same complexities as displayed in the aroma. A soft mouthfeel, medium bodied and very refreshing, the cider barrel comes through quite nicely as it warms to offer the drinker a pleasant tartness that lingers nicely before finishing dry. Ezra, with its cider barrel-aging, is a wonderfully unique take on the Belgian Farmhouse Ale style.

“Back in 2012 I received a cider barrel from our friends at Spirit Tree Cidery in Caledon,” said Lackey. “I talked with Iain McOustra, Amsterdam’s Brew Master, to work together to create a Farmhouse Ale recipe to put into the barrel. The end result was great so we decided we’d do it again on a larger scale.”

“When Tom at Spirit Tree came through with more barrels we knew it was an opportunity for a bigger release based on the same idea,”said Amsterdam’s McOustra. “We took several different aged batches of the same recipe and blended them together for this release. The blending was a lot of fun, trying to get the right barrel character with a touch of cider and brett.”

This is the second collaboration beer between the two Toronto breweries to hit the LCBO. In the spring of 2013, both breweries brewed a Leipziger Gose and called it Maverick & Gose, which was a huge hit with craft beer drinkers across Ontario.

“It’s been great working with MaCoustra and the Amsterdam brewing team,” says Lackey. “Both of us like to experiment with new styles, flavours, and I think our creativity comes through quite nicely in Ezra.”

McOustra followed with, “It’s always great brewing with Lackey, and this beer stacks up against any of our collaborations. Great Lakes and Lackey are at the forefront of brewing in Canada and it’s an honour to release this beer with them.”

The beer will retail for $7.95 at select LCBO retail stores in 650ml bottles and limited in quantity. The retail store at Great Lakes will also have a limited number of bottles for sale later in the week.

Ezra says, “Drink this beer fresh…WOOF!”

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

Having had some of the earlier versions of this, I can't wait. An excellent beer.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Interesting....nothing really makes this attractive to me, style wise and the cider barrel side of things.

But it is beers like this that often make me appreciate beer more, after I try them and am impressed...

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

Its nice - it's a lot like Goose Island Sofie. I think the cider flavor overtakes it a little too much as it warms up though.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Had it on draft the other night, and talking to Lackey he said it was the same base beer as the first version a year or so ago, but the bugs and barrel treatment were different. He said he expected the bottles to develop more funk with some age on them
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

lplex

Post by lplex »

For those who are holding on to this, I suggest you stick it in the fridge or drink it ASAP. Mine just exploded on me. As the bottle says : "Drink this beer fresh... WOOF!". Yeah... woof!... that's what happened.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

More GL/Amst news: the brewers have announced an even better version of this beer for the fall, and are naming it Better Than Ezra.
In Beerum Veritas

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Belgian wrote:More GL/Amst news: the brewers have announced an even better version of this beer for the fall, and are naming it Better Than Ezra.
I heard it was Good.

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

He was a good dog. Nice beer too.
saintjohnswort.ca