Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Sunlight Park Saison - Left Field Brewery

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

chris_schryer

Sunlight Park Saison - Left Field Brewery

Post by chris_schryer »

Hey guys. Mark and Mandie have this as their summer offering, and it's a beauty. Grapefruit is there but not dominant, the saison could easily stand on it's own. Just lovely. Here's my full review:
http://www.torontobeerblog.com/beer-rev ... d-brewery/
Get it at OCB Week events.

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

Less of a saison, and more of a wheat ale. I thought it was pretty wheat heavy. Good beer, but it doesn't rank too high in terms of "saisons" for me.

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

I'm picky about saisons and this really didn't do it for me. I really love the dry Dupont-style saison and not the more wheat infused style that starts to bridge into a Witbier (most Quebec takes on the style tend to this).

I had a pint at Bar Hop and I thought it was fine for the current line up of Ontario Saisons, but so far from what I expect from the style to be a little bothersome. It could stand to be more dry, more bready, and more rich in classic hop-derived spices rather than the more novel grapefruit juice approach. It's a great style, can't we just have a clean, not peppercorn or spice or lemon/raspberry/everything and whatever else, adulterated version from Ontario?

I wouldn't order it again as a saison. As a grapefruit wit, maybe. But as a saison, it's pretty far from what I love about the style. (I really like the brewery otherwise, and their approach, just a picky guy for my favourite beer style.)

#saisonsnob #nowheat #styriangoldingsonly #nospices #nopeel

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

groulxsome wrote:I'm picky about saisons and this really didn't do it for me. I really love the dry Dupont-style saison and not the more wheat infused style that starts to bridge into a Witbier (most Quebec takes on the style tend to this).

I had a pint at Bar Hop and I thought it was fine for the current line up of Ontario Saisons, but so far from what I expect from the style to be a little bothersome. It could stand to be more dry, more bready, and more rich in classic hop-derived spices rather than the more novel grapefruit juice approach. It's a great style, can't we just have a clean, not peppercorn or spice or lemon/raspberry/everything and whatever else, adulterated version from Ontario?

I wouldn't order it again as a saison. As a grapefruit wit, maybe. But as a saison, it's pretty far from what I love about the style. (I really like the brewery otherwise, and their approach, just a picky guy for my favourite beer style.)

#saisonsnob #nowheat #styriangoldingsonly #nospices #nopeel
ditto.
not bad, but not great.
better than Nickelbrook's mess. but where's my dry, grassy or peppery saison?
crisp is the key for saisons.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

This was very lightly spiced and refreshing, agreed not a typical saison - very subdued. I enjoyed it as a fine beer to drink during a hot summer day.