Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Flying Monkeys Paranormal Imperial Pumpkin Ale

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

liamt07
Bar Fly

Flying Monkeys Paranormal Imperial Pumpkin Ale

Post by liamt07 »

Fantastic. Heavy cinnamon/pumpkin pie spice, well done pie crust, and caramelized pumpkin flesh. One of the best pumpkin beers I've had in a long time.

Flying Monkeys has missed the mark a few times as of recent, but for a pumpkin ale, this is a home run in my books.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

^ ooh gonna try! Was waiting for this year's Pumpkin Ale Reports, every year they're different.
In Beerum Veritas

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

Belgian wrote:^ ooh gonna try! Was waiting for this year's Pumpkin Ale Reports, every year they're different.
This stands next to Pumking for me in terms of quality. In a different class from anything else available in our market I'd say.

schomberger

Post by schomberger »

^speaking of pumpking, how have you guys found it this year?---I felt it had something slightly different going on and I didn't love it like I have every other year. Then I noticed sulphites listed on the ingredients and wonder if that caused me some sort of mild reaction--I don't recall this being on the label previously....

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

This is another one of those Flying Monkeys beers that I really, really wanted to like but really didn't. These Flying Monkeys boxed beers are probably the most confusing beers in the world for me, since so many knowledgeable, passionate beer folks seem to love them and I absolutely cannot even drink them.

I thought this year's ST Pumpking was a little sweeter, more pie crust, sugar syrup, and vanilla than pumpkins and spice. Still quite nice and worth buying. Sulphates might be adding to the more muted pumpkin character, but it's hard to say. It's certainly more vanilla forward.

As for the Paranormal, I've tried so hard to like it twice with no luck. My comments from trying it on tap were "Very poor. Spiced to death, alright aroma, but just tastes like eating pumpkin pie spice. Dry ginger, clove bitterness, just bad." I think the chalky mouthfeel combined with the kind of bitterness you get from eating too much dry spices (cinnamon rather than hops) is what kills it for me. Toss your old spice cabinet into sugar syrup, kind of vibe.

Anyway, I know that very few will agree with me since I'm in that weird subsection of the world that really likes Southern Tier's over-sweet beers (Pumpkin, Choklat) but cannot deal with Flying Monkeys versions. Again I'm left scratching my head trying to figure out why on these beers I depart from most others so strongly. Where in most cases when I dislike a beer another person likes, I can usually see why, these just baffle me beyond comprehension.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

^ Interesting review, thanks. I prefer pumpkin beers that have a lighter touch with the spice cabinet (Grand River, for example). Think I will give the FM version a pass. The price is a disincentive too, unfortunately.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

schomberger wrote:^speaking of pumpking, how have you guys found it this year?---I felt it had something slightly different going on and I didn't love it like I have every other year. Then I noticed sulphites listed on the ingredients and wonder if that caused me some sort of mild reaction--I don't recall this being on the label previously....
I haven't enjoyed it as much this year. Something missing from previous years. Not enough of the sweet malty core supporting the pumpkin and spices imho.

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

Hrm, the comparisons with Pumpking make me leery, since I absolutely can't stand that beer. Grand River and Black Oak are my favourite.