Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Great Lakes Citraddiction

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Great Lakes Citraddiction

Post by atomeyes »

Had a can yesterday.
Smelled like weed and onions and a hint of BO.
while it is an IPA, 2 of those smells are smells i don't love my beer to have.
Last edited by atomeyes on Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

Mr. Sharp - it's actually called "Citraddiction"

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Pub Style wrote:Mr. Sharp - it's actually called "Citraddiction"
fixed.
curious to what others think of the beer.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Mine smelled & tasted like lots and lots of Citra hops. Maybe just a hint too much for the body, if I had to find something critical to say. I was very pleased with it.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Craig wrote:Mine smelled & tasted like lots and lots of Citra hops. Maybe just a hint too much for the body, if I had to find something critical to say. I was very pleased with it.
I would echo your thoughts. That being said, I was happy to see this because I think that Karma Citra has too heavy of a malt bill. I would love to see the next batch of KC be a double-ish version of this.

Overall, I think this is a really nice session pale ale. Still some room to improve it though.

jp_jkl

Post by jp_jkl »

I picked up some cans of Citraddiction on the weekend and enjoyed what I tried. I didn't get to try Limp Puppet earlier this year so I can't compare it to their other sessionable, hoppy offering.

However, I wouldn't put it in my top 5 from GLB and it's a very summer-y beer. Drinking it on a cold, dark night doesn't hit the spot like it would on a hot summer day.

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
Overall, I think this is a really nice session pale ale. Still some room to improve it though.
Thanks for your thoughts, TheSevenDuffs. In terms of improving, where would you like us to go with it? Feedback is always appreciated.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

I'll happily take some if someone bought too many :)

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

i just found it to be overpowering with the negative spectrum of citra and not enough of the tropical fruit.
not sure if pellets were used vs leaves, but it almost tastes like it.

idunno...you get the hop blast, which is cool (clearly) for some drinkers, but i didn't find it to be ballanced.

i'll freely admit that i'm not their target audience, but i didn't totally dig this bevvy.

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

atomeyes wrote:i just found it to be overpowering with the negative spectrum of citra and not enough of the tropical fruit.

idunno...you get the hop blast, which is cool (clearly) for some drinkers, but i didn't find it to be ballanced.

i'll freely admit that i'm not their target audience, but i didn't totally dig this bevvy.
Are you picking on pellet brewers? Pellets >> leaf IMO
Less clogging, better storagability, easier to weigh, core compact, the list goes on!

I wonder if this batch used the 2014 crop of Citra? Could be year to year crop variance.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Pub Style wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:
Thanks for your thoughts, TheSevenDuffs. In terms of improving, where would you like us to go with it? Feedback is always appreciated.
Let me try another can and get back to you with some better feed back. I've had it twice but didn't really take great mental notes of the beer's attributes either time.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

ercousin wrote:
atomeyes wrote:i just found it to be overpowering with the negative spectrum of citra and not enough of the tropical fruit.

Are you picking on pellet brewers? Pellets >> leaf IMO
Less clogging, better storagability, easier to weigh, core compact, the list goes on!

I wonder if this batch used the 2014 crop of Citra? Could be year to year crop variance.
it's an interesting discussion re: pellet vs leaf.
there's a school of thought that leaves taste bruised and pulverized.
take mint leaves as an example. you're supposed to smack them before gently muddling and not dice or pulverize. it affects their flavour.
for simcoe (if i remember correctly) there is definitely a difference in flavour between leaf and pellet.
i've only used citra leaf. not sure if pellet really exists.
i've never had the onion and weed smell that this and some other citras have.
homebrewing's different than a brewery (duh) but still...

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

atomeyes wrote: i've only used citra leaf. not sure if pellet really exists.
Citra pellets definitely exist.

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

For sure they exist. There are very few hop varieties that aren't pelletized.

The only I can think are the super experimental ones from YVH, there may be others consumers aren't privy to though: http://www.yakimavalleyhops.com/Experim ... s/1910.htm

Even the the ADHA/HBC numbered ones are pelletized.

heebes

Post by heebes »

i think its spot on, a great beer, dont change a thing