Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Bellwoods Brewery

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Skeleton Key seems like a top standout for me. Since first made I thought it under-appreciated.

I have to knock off some aged bottles that are just about at their prime right now. I almost hate opening those nice-looking bottles, LOL they look sexy in my beer stash.
In Beerum Veritas

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

I like Skeleton Key.....is this the 3rd time they've released it? I think they had some back in november when I was out of the country....but can't recall.

Bounty Hunter was another tasty one. Not the first time they've dropped prices either...

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

was there last night, since i was playing just around the corner.
horrible to be rewarded with Motley Cru 2015 and 3MM both on tap.
had 2 motleys.
up now before 7 with a hangover. well, them and the Only's winter beer festival are to blame.

rfrf

Post by rfrf »

El Pinguino wrote:I like Skeleton Key.....is this the 3rd time they've released it? I think they had some back in november when I was out of the country....but can't recall.

Bounty Hunter was another tasty one. Not the first time they've dropped prices either...
this is the second time AFAIK. it's been on tap there at least once again after the release though

cheechonaleash

Post by cheechonaleash »

rfrf wrote:
El Pinguino wrote:I like Skeleton Key.....is this the 3rd time they've released it? I think they had some back in november when I was out of the country....but can't recall.

this is the second time AFAIK. it's been on tap there at least once again after the release though
It was released for the first time at the end of October 2014. Pretty sure it was on tap around April to concise with their anniversary/release of Motley Cru '15.

portwood

Post by portwood »

was in my old neighborhood tonight for a whisky tasting at The Caledonian.
Decided to walk down Ossington to burn some calories and pick up some overpriced beer, 'cause that's what geeks do:
1 Witchshark
1 Hellwoods
2 Roman Candle
25 bucks and change ... Bellwoods: "the Ardbeg of beer"

(decided against the Farmageddon as sours are not my style - someone correct this newb if this brett saison isn't sour)

... running to the garage to put on my suit of armour ...
@markhamwhisky

DaveBar

Post by DaveBar »

atomeyes quote
???
economy of scale, man. they may have more barrels (or got the barrels for less $$).

Responce
Not really no. They do not have much scale in the big scheme of things. Their setup is barely $1M hard equipment if that and produces much less than you think. Without getting into heavy economics it's definitely a slow down of sale, not dramatic increase in production. Besides, corporations do not lower margin just because they get "a deal" on supplies, they keep it in their pocket as extra profit!

Here's the basics!
http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/l ... AhaMMH&s=p
Last edited by DaveBar on Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

portwood wrote:was in my old neighborhood tonight for a whisky tasting at The Caledonian.
Decided to walk down Ossington to burn some calories and pick up some overpriced beer, 'cause that's what geeks do:
1 Witchshark
1 Hellwoods
2 Roman Candle

(decided against the Farmageddon as sours are not my style - someone correct this newb if this brett saison isn't sour)

you're probably better off giving the beer to someone who goes into the process with a semi-open mind. or who may appreciate the beer.
it's like you need to top your previous post with something even more ridiculous.

didn't think i needed to point out that you're just being silly and bitching about tossing money at the brewery you hate is adding to the ridiculousness. as is the "'cause that's what geeks do." no. geeks GEEK OUT on specific things. you're doing the opposite.
but please, let us know how much you hate all the beer. "The Hellwoods tasted nothing like an IPA and the Witchshark was so bitter...."

FEUO

Post by FEUO »

portwood wrote:was in my old neighborhood tonight for a whisky tasting at The Caledonian.
1 Witchshark
1 Hellwoods
2 Roman Candle

"Overpriced beer" meaning its not worth the money you spent? Then why spend it? Save your $ for more whisky.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

So Portwood went to a brewery he doesnt care for to spend too much money on beer he knew going in he would find overpriced?
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

FEUO

Post by FEUO »

sprague11 wrote:So Portwood went to a brewery he doesnt care for to spend too much money on beer he knew going in he would find overpriced?
Bingo.

Reminds me of the two "winners" on untappd who continue to drink Bellwoods beers and crap all over them for having some of that "Bellwoods character".
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

FEUO wrote:
sprague11 wrote:So Portwood went to a brewery he doesnt care for to spend too much money on beer he knew going in he would find overpriced?
Bingo.

Reminds me of the two "winners" on untappd who continue to drink Bellwoods beers and crap all over them for having some of that "Bellwoods character".
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
I recall reading your reaction to them on untapped. You accused them of being trolls and then proceeded to have a gigantic spazzy troll-out on them with your caps lock on.

Opinions are just opinions. Who cares?

portwood

Post by portwood »

boney wrote:Opinions are just opinions.
Bingo
Unless you're the owner, why get worked up over someone else not being a fanboy of your favorite brewery?
@markhamwhisky

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

portwood wrote:
boney wrote:Opinions are just opinions.
Bingo
Unless you're the owner, why get worked up over someone else not being a fanboy of your favorite brewery?
there are a number of benefits and detriments of people posting their opinions on here or other websites.

benefits:
-i, as a consumer, increase or decrease my likelihood of spending my money on said beer/brewery
-breweries that may read the reviews may reflect on the work they're doing and make changes (or stay the course) based on feedback

detriments:
-most Ontario breweries are independently-owned. people who troll or shit on them with zero validity behind their posts are only negatively affecting businesses where the business owner has everything to potentially lose
-it may pass false information onto people who are legitimately interested in trying a beer, thereby ruining one's beer drinking experience
-false opinions posted will give breweries false feedback or make them more unlikely to listen to/read opinions posted online
-false opinions posted may result in a "why bother?" attitude in Ontario. Less breweries may take risks

so opinions really aren't opinions. when i'm posting here, i'm not blowing smoke up anyone's arsehole (i.e. i'm not a fanboy. i offer legit critiquing). i'm opining in a way that i would hope others would opine. i only have so much $$ that i want to spend on shitty beer and any reviews that help me make my decisions are greatly appreciated. but reading posts (and I'm not targeting you, portwood. it's just that your posts in this thread are making it really easy to highlight my point) that have, frankly, been prejudgmental and are taken with the biggest grain of salt one can fit in their mouth serve little purpose to you, me or the brewery.

so, to get back to your question of why i or others get worked up about your posts or the posts of others? because it's not even, fair or unbiased criticism levelled at a brewery. i don't know what shitting on a brewery for what appears to be non-legit reasons does for anyone - consumer or brewery. i don't want 95% of Ontario's breweries to fail. I just want them all to get better, and i'll give frank and blunt comments about their beer accordingly. for good or for bad re: my character.

so looking back at your purchases you made: you don't need to justify your purchase to any of us. your money, your life. but you also didn't need to buy more Bellwoods after complaining how bleh their beer is. so what was your point?

one final comment, portwood: saisons aren't sour. farmhouse saisons aren't sour. brettanomyces is not a souring bacteria/yeast. so no, Farmageddon is not a sour.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

^^^ Agree with all of your benefits/detriments in principle, but I would still say opinions are just opinions. There can be well informed, insightful opinions or baseless opinions said simply to get a rise. I think most reasonable people can sort them out pretty easily. Most things that do get debated on the internet aren't objective "truths" anyway and it becomes more about the personalities having the debates than the question itself. There's nothing wrong discussing differences in opinion and having healthy debates. However, on the internet, as in life, that rarely happens and most "debates" are ad hominem personal attacks because someone objects to someone elses subjective perception of the world. I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not interested in policing the internet. That would be one exhausting, losing battle.

Back to Bellwoods. Excited for Skeleton Key, but probably wont be able to make it to the bottleshop until mid-next week and wouldn't be suprised if this one breaks the recent trend of selling put by the end of the weekend.