Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Bellwoods Brewery

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Barn Owl #3, fresh bottle - brimming with juicy peachy goodness. I think the tart-sweet fruit works well with the dryness and slight acidity of the farmhouse, Subtle spiciness, pretty round palate but fresh overall. Creamy and layered, kind of an Imperial Belgo-Radler. Worth trying one.
In Beerum Veritas

ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

Belgian wrote:Barn Owl #3, fresh bottle - brimming with juicy peachy goodness. I think the tart-sweet fruit works well with the dryness and slight acidity of the farmhouse, Subtle spiciness, pretty round palate but fresh overall. Creamy and layered, kind of an Imperial Belgo-Radler. Worth trying one.
I got 2 bottles, tried one, and then went back for 4 more bottles. I find it to be far better than the Barn Owl #1 and #2 blends. The carbonation is lacking significantly and I didn't find it particularly complex but it is nicely tart, peachy, and packing a bit of funk on the finish. I'm now looking forward to the next Barn Owl installment and hoping they continue to dial in their barrel blending skills.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Barn Owl 3 was my least favorite of the 3 so far. I found it all peach and not much else. That said, I find Jelly King to be a phenomenal dry hopped sour. I also was lucky enough to try the new Grandma's Boy at the Bellwoods beer dinner at Brux House last week and it's going to blow peoples minds.

FEUO

Post by FEUO »

Heard good things about the Brux Bellwoods dinner. Love me some Brux even without Bellwoods.

ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

boney wrote:Barn Owl 3 was my least favorite of the 3 so far. I found it all peach and not much else. That said, I find Jelly King to be a phenomenal dry hopped sour. I also was lucky enough to try the new Grandma's Boy at the Bellwoods beer dinner at Brux House last week and it's going to blow peoples minds.
Like I said, #3 is not terribly complex but I don't mind that. #2 felt pretty flat in my opinion with a lot of bitterness and very little else backing it up, #1 was decent but didn't thrill me as I'm not a huge fan of the ginger flavour. I tried Jelly king the other day and absolutely loved it. I can't wait for them to bottle it. I'm looking forward to the new grandma's boy too. They changed it from a tripel to a farmhouse ale this year, right?

cheechonaleash

Post by cheechonaleash »

ChrisK wrote:
boney wrote:Barn Owl 3 was my least favorite of the 3 so far. I found it all peach and not much else. That said, I find Jelly King to be a phenomenal dry hopped sour. I also was lucky enough to try the new Grandma's Boy at the Bellwoods beer dinner at Brux House last week and it's going to blow peoples minds.
Like I said, #3 is not terribly complex but I don't mind that. #2 felt pretty flat in my opinion with a lot of bitterness and very little else backing it up, #1 was decent but didn't thrill me as I'm not a huge fan of the ginger flavour. I tried Jelly king the other day and absolutely loved it. I can't wait for them to bottle it. I'm looking forward to the new grandma's boy too. They changed it from a tripel to a farmhouse ale this year, right?
They did.

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

Barn Owl 3 is peaches, peaches, peaches....and it's glorious. I loved it.

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

Anyone else catch that grandmas boy announcement on IG that was deleted quickly after?

skootles

Post by skootles »

jeremyg wrote:Anyone else catch that grandmas boy announcement on IG that was deleted quickly after?
Nope. What'd it say?

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

skootles wrote:
jeremyg wrote:Anyone else catch that grandmas boy announcement on IG that was deleted quickly after?
Nope. What'd it say?
basically what today's said, minus the jelly king bit

exciting!

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

The newsletter noted that bottles of Jelly King are being released today, and the Motley Cru (~5000 bottles) and Grandma's Boy (4829 bottles) are both being released on Saturday May 14th. I didn't see what limits they are imposing on the latter two. Has anybody heard? If it is at 4, as many of the recent limited releases have been, I am assuming that both will last into Sunday and beyond.

skootles

Post by skootles »

I'm betting Jelly King won't have any limits (or will have a higher limit) since they didn't go out of their way to put the bottle count on the label.

Grandma's Boy they'll probably mention the limit in their upcoming blog post about it, and Motley they'll likely say once they actually announce what it is. Grandma's Boy label says 4824 bottles were made.

Edit: picked up some Jelly King (6 bottles) but forgot to ask about any limit. The girl in the shop however said that it was a normal sized batch and that they would be brewing more so it'll be more available this summer. They were $6.50 a bottle.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

BW Grandma's Boy IS good stuff, and Burdock brew pub has an amazing plum Berliner weisse in their bottle shop for around four bucks. Can pre-try it on tap I think they do 5 oz pours of everything including some Saisons / cuvees.
In Beerum Veritas

rfrf

Post by rfrf »

Grandma's Boy has a limit of one case, so said the blog update.