Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Barncat Artisan Ales, Cambridge

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Kish84 wrote:
Kish84 wrote:Bold statement, but as long as there are no issues with scaling up, this will potentially be the best brewery in Ontario.
For the record, there's a dude getting growlers, filling his own bottles, and handing them out to friends in Toronto. Is this a common thing that I'm just hearing about, or is it as fucked as I think it is?

Maybe it's just me, but if I were into this whole ticking/rating thing, I'd strive to taste the best example of a beer...At least when you're at a bar and base an opinion off of a sample, it's still fresh...
A little oxygenation, loss of carbonation, sanitation? What could go wrong?

Yeah, that's lame.

At least untappd allows you to tick without scoring (for those that simply want to tick).

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

I had a growler of their DIPA, Eminence this week. It was INCREDIBLE. The yeast profile reminded me a lot of Trillium and the overall flavour profile wasn't far off either. I am really looking forward to trying more from these guys as this was a better first impression that I have had from any Ontario brewery, and that includes Bellwoods.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

That's a pretty strong endorsement! Now just gotta find an excuse to travel west!
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

Also had Eminence on sunday (saturday growler fill), after picking up 5 bottles of Trillium recently, it's not far off! Keep that one going!

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

4 Beers on tap this weekend:

Bowser Jacket: Hoppy Brown Ale $15/2L – $8/1L

Eminence: New Zealand Hopped IPA $18/2L – $10/1L

One Love – Pacific Jade: Single Hop Pale Ale $15/2L – $8/1L

Archer: Oatmeal Porter $15/2L – $8/1L

We also now accept debit and credit and we are open this Sunday for the first time (this will not be a regular thing)

https://barncatales.com/

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Coffee Milk Stout this weekend!

come get some Bump & Grind

https://barncatales.com/

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Stopped in at Barncat today for the first time. Had a couple samples and bought a couple of beers. I got there just before a bus load of people....so timing couldn't have been better. They also had folks giving out samples of the coffee thats used in the coffee milk stout...nice touch. I left with "the juice" pale ale as well as "archer" oatmeal porter. Both are outstanding, "the juice" is definately an apporpriate name. It's so juicy and tropical with awesome balance. Tonnes of guava/passionfruit flavours going on. I'd agree with previous poster....this is the best first impression i've had from an Ontario brewery, also including Bellwoods. Looking forward to having more beers and seeing you grow, keep up the good work guys.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I had a chance to drop in this weekend. It's a bit hard to find if you're winging it - pays to know exactly where you are going. Very positive first impression - immediately offered taster of the four beers on tap: The Juice, the coffee milk stout, a brown ale and a wheat IPA. Liked them all. The Juice was probably my favourite - it is certainly bursting with tropical flavours for five-point-something abv. To me it loses points for being a bit of a murky mess visually, but perhaps it was just at the end of the keg. In any event, this is fairly minor. The coffee milk stout is also intensely flavoured, with an enormous roast coffee nose, but is also quite quaffable. Very good also. The other two I only had small samples so unfair to comment beyond they seemed good as well. Wish this new brewery the best of luck!

ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

midlife crisis wrote: To me it loses points for being a bit of a murky mess visually, but perhaps it was just at the end of the keg.
Judging by the photo they posted of Eminence in a glass and the emerging trend of turbid IPAs and pale ales, this was probably not an accident.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

I've had friends grab me a couple growlers in the past, but I made it out myself for the first time this Friday. Really impressed with everything I had. Yep, for sure, their PA's and IPA's are ugly, murky milkshakes, but the importance of that is philosophical. Concentrated hop flavor and explosive arroma is their hallmark. Others have said it earlier, but their stuff really reminds me of Trillium, too. Looking fowrard to pretty much everything they do.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

boney wrote: their PA's and IPA's are ugly, murky milkshakes,
Interesting perspective. To me, PAs/IPAs that look like theirs do are beautiful and would be a 5/5 as far as appearance goes.

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

ChrisK wrote:
midlife crisis wrote: To me it loses points for being a bit of a murky mess visually, but perhaps it was just at the end of the keg.
Judging by the photo they posted of Eminence in a glass and the emerging trend of turbid IPAs and pale ales, this was probably not an accident.
Yeah, that's just how our hoppy beers look. May have been the end of a keg, but it wouldn't have made a difference.

Between our typically oat heavy grain bills, our ale yeast, a big dry hop, and no finings, that's the end result. I also think they are beautiful.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Good to know!

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
boney wrote: their PA's and IPA's are ugly, murky milkshakes,
Interesting perspective. To me, PAs/IPAs that look like theirs do are beautiful and would be a 5/5 as far as appearance goes.
Don't get me wrong, that's exactly how I wan't my hoppy beers too....unfiltered and dry hopped to hell and back. I'm just saying that from an purely non-beer related aesthetic, creamy yellow probably isn't anyone's favorite color. However, in an PA or IPA it is indeed contextually beautiful and predicts the imminent gustatory and olfactory onslaught that will likely follow. :wink: