Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Bench Brewery (Beamsville)

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Bench Brewery (Beamsville)

Post by atomeyes »

No one's said anything about Bench. it's currently being contracted, but they're building a brewery in Niagara on the bench.
apparently, we're looking at there being a huge barrel program and, apparently, a coolship.
there's a Californian brewer/barrel dude they brought up to work.
One of the Nickelbrook guys is also behind it.

kevinlater

Post by kevinlater »

i can confirm the barrel program as i spoke to one of the guys (ex-nickelbrook head brewer) at the brux house a few months ago. gonna be a brewery to look out for

zane9

Post by zane9 »

Just had Bench Brewery's Ball's Falls (session IPA) at The Ship in Hamilton. Delicious.

Bench is building their 50hL brewery in Beamsville, in an old public school. I drove past that building many times when it was up for sale.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

I had their Citra Grove Dry Hopped Sour at Brux and it was very impressive

mahcinesquad

Post by mahcinesquad »

Their 20 Mile Farmhouse was on at Baker St in Guelph last night (may still be) - it was great.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

I had the balls falls at baker st a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

had the citra sour, great stuff.

distr0

Post by distr0 »

Had the Citra Grove at Baker street in Guelph a few weeks ago, it was fantastic

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

This is very promising for a new brewery! The Citra Grove was exceptional and The Balls Falls was a nice ISA too. Can't wait to see what their barrel program might produce
Everytime I learn something new I forget something old...like that time I learned to make wine and then forgot how to drive...

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

distr0 wrote:Had the Citra Grove at Baker street in Guelph a few weeks ago, it was fantastic
i found it to be quite watery. good flavour, no body.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Add me to the list about loving the citra grove. Excellent stuff. Two for two from Bench. It appears that they're going to have a full time tap at Baker Street station

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

atomeyes wrote:
distr0 wrote:Had the Citra Grove at Baker street in Guelph a few weeks ago, it was fantastic
I experienced the same, I had it again after having mamouche and it make the grapefruit pop a lot more than I had every experienced. I don't know because it was a fresh keg, but it was awesome.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

atomeyes wrote:
I've had the Citra Grove four or five times now. I like it but consider it the poor man's Jelly King.
lister

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Citra Grove was on at Birreria and it was tasty. Balls Falls is on at Bru in Oakville (not sure if I've seen it in TO yet) and it's good too.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

had the Clean Slate brett saison.
people liked it, but i wasn't overly impressed. just like their sour, it was very thin. didn't love the dimension the brett gave it.
would give it a 7.25/10.
blah blah not brewing at their own brewery blah blah. but i haven't been blown away, which is what i was kind of hoping/expecting