Spearhead Brewing Company

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: GregClow, Cass

Masterplan

Spearhead Brewing Company

Postby Masterplan » Tue May 23, 2017 12:21 pm

Spearhead is finally setting up shop, but in Kingston:
http://www.momandhops.ca/spearhead-open-new-brewery-kingston/
atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Re: Spearhead Brewing Company

Postby atomeyes » Tue May 23, 2017 12:59 pm

Masterplan wrote:Spearhead is finally setting up shop, but in Kingston:
http://www.momandhops.ca/spearhead-open-new-brewery-kingston/

i wish these guys luck.
i don't see it flying. they had a piece of the market back in 2011-12. competition's fierce and their beer's kinda gross.
sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Postby sofakingdrunk » Tue May 23, 2017 11:38 pm

I used to like the Hawaiian pale about, yeah 5-6 years ago, but havnt had one in years. Everything else I've had, like atomeyes says, was pretty bad
darmokandjalad

Postby darmokandjalad » Wed May 24, 2017 2:30 pm

I was starting to think they'd gone belly-up because I hadn't even seen a Spearhead product on shelves in the better part of two years. At least, until those Hawaiian Style tallboys started rolling out a few weeks ago. I picked a few up for old times' sake: it's still a pretty good pale ale, but it's not 2011 anymore. It's 2017 and there are already a dozen other 'pretty good pale ales' available at any well-stocked LCBO.

So I pretty much have to agree with the sentiments that have already been expressed above. They had their chance to make a mark earlier this decade, but we're at the point where it has probably slipped through their fingers. The competition has stepped up its game enormously over the last 6 years, so they'll have to come up with something better than Moroccan Brown or Belgian Stout if they want to secure a stable slice of the market. Making up the lost ground won't be easy but I wish them well.
sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Postby sprague11 » Thu May 25, 2017 7:26 pm

Interesting. Are they still jawboning other breweries/brewers while talking up their own products?
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo
Masterplan

Postby Masterplan » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:49 pm

Stopped in today at lunch for their grand opening. They've spent a good amount of money on transforming the industrial building into their bottle shop and tasting bar area which has a large glass wall for viewing of the brewery. It's nice but sorta dark. Don't think there's a kitchen.

They have a new lager, a spicy stout, and bitter, but not available at this time to go. Only the HPA, morrocan brown, and sam roberts band beer.

They've also installed 4 Tesla charging stations out front.

Return to “Ontario Brewers”