Muddy York Brewing

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: GregClow, Cass

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Re: Muddy York Brewing

Postby El Pinguino » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:38 pm

Cool...thanks guys, that makes sense about the bourbon barrels then. I'm not a big bourbon drinker but imagine the bourbon craze is good for the craft beer movement too. Didn't know cognac barrels were bigger too....how about that.
portwood

Postby portwood » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:09 pm

Craig wrote:...So you have lots and lots of these barrels that had bourbon in them for less than a year, that the bourbon makers can't reuse...

You are correct that barrels can only be used once for Bourbon (and rye). However, the vast majority of American whisky is aged much more than one year.

In order to be called "Straight", American whiskey must be in barrel at least 2 years. From 2 to 4 years an age must be stated on the label. "Straight" whiskey without an age statement must be at least 4 years old.

long story short, the vast majority of American whiskey barrels are at least 4 years old (think Jack Daniels, Jim Beam, Makers Mark, etc) before they are dumped and sold off to age Scotch, Canadian Whisky, Tequila, other spirits, Beer, etc
@markhamwhisky
Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Postby Craig » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:17 pm

I was aware of the distinction of straight being aged for a few years, but I thought there was more non-straight than straight produced each year, with some of that destined for blends. I was probably mistaken.
Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Postby Tapsucker » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:37 pm

When I first tried the Gaslight Helles, I was very disappointed, It was under lagered and had a good hit of DMS. I really want to see more locals offer this style, but they do need to get it right to. That's why I was disappointed, it sucked.

I picked up a few cans this weekend to give them another chance.The DMS and lagering issues seem to be resolved. This is on it's way to being a good beer. I think there is still a bit of harshness that might be either hop related or water profile related, but still I will buy and drink more of this.

Excellent lagers take some time and patience, there is very little trendy/funky/barrel/adjunct behavior to hide behind. You have to simply brew it right and treat it right. I really want to encourage local brewers to make the effort, so my criticism of Muddy York is not to bring them down, but to challenge them to take what they are on to and commit to making it a great beer. Good start, please don't give up.

Why can't we have nice lagers? :cry:
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.
sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Postby sofakingdrunk » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:56 am

I really enjoy the Gaslight Helles.....one of my go-tos when in the mood for a solid Ontario lager from the lcbo (side launch being the other). I agree, I’d like to see more, really well made lagers around these parts.
Coronaeus

Postby Coronaeus » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:36 am

Tapsucker wrote:When I first tried the Gaslight Helles, I was very disappointed, It was under lagered and had a good hit of DMS. I really want to see more locals offer this style, but they do need to get it right to. That's why I was disappointed, it sucked.

I picked up a few cans this weekend to give them another chance.The DMS and lagering issues seem to be resolved. This is on it's way to being a good beer. I think there is still a bit of harshness that might be either hop related or water profile related, but still I will buy and drink more of this.

Excellent lagers take some time and patience, there is very little trendy/funky/barrel/adjunct behavior to hide behind. You have to simply brew it right and treat it right. I really want to encourage local brewers to make the effort, so my criticism of Muddy York is not to bring them down, but to challenge them to take what they are on to and commit to making it a great beer. Good start, please don't give up.

Why can't we have nice lagers? :cry:

Good post. I’ve been meaning to go to Muddy York for some time now, in part due to the appearance that they are taking lagers seriously.

I think things are definitely getting better locally on the Lager front. I think Bellweiser is great beer. Likewise the Dortmunder at Godspeed. The latest Bellwoods Pilsner, Bier Garten really reminded me of fresh Bitburger which was a nice surprise.

I’m at a point now where when I see a brewery has a Lager on, I am very likely to give it a try because it is less often now that I am disappointed.
midlife crisis
Seasoned Drinker

Postby midlife crisis » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:31 pm

Tooth and Nail has a very good one too. Not as easy to come across in the GTA I suppose, but it was on tap somewhere in December -- BeerBistro, perhaps?
S. St. Jeb
Bar Fly

Postby S. St. Jeb » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:54 am

Cool story and project. I hope I get a chance to get out that way and try this before it's gone.

Muddy York Brewing Releasing Helliwell Historical Old Ale
https://www.canadianbeernews.com/2020/0 ... l-old-ale/

'A lot of love in this': Beer historian, local brewery create brew using recipe from the 1800s
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ ... -1.5440134

Return to “Ontario Brewers”