Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Left Field Brewery

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

BakaGaijin wrote:Let's get crowlers up here. Forget about growlers....
I still prefer a growler. Once you've opened a crowler you have no choice but to finish it or transfer it to something that seals.
You know what I have in my cellar? Dust, I have dust in my cellar.

jakis

Post by jakis »

midlife crisis wrote:Maybe they feel it would slow the staff down too much. It is a very busy place, at least on weekends. More of a bar than a bottle shop almost - it was full to capacity with a good 15-20 people outside waiting to get in.
I remember on one of the Toronto beer podcasts Mandy from Left Field mentioned that beer isn't always the best quality when it's packaged in a growler. Here's a quote from an article on Ben's beer blog..

Mandie Murphy, cofounder of Left Field Brewery, says that for their company, the cons outweigh the pros. “Because they are so big and the shelf life is so short, there’s a higher likelihood that a customer will have a bad experience with one of our beers if it’s in a growler,” she says.

https://bensbeerblog.com/2015/07/16/let ... -growlers/

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

LOL in other words, drink our beer faster and then come back and buy more. Growlers aren't that big and if you're leaving one too long that it spoils the beer then you bought too big. Maybe just single servings are best for some people. On the other hand if I open a crowler and decide I'm too tired to finish it then it'll definitely be spoiled by the next morning let alone the next evening when I feel like having another beer.
You know what I have in my cellar? Dust, I have dust in my cellar.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

I heard word today that Left Field is increasing their staff pay to $22/hr.

Kudos!

I won't even complain if there needs to be a price increase to support this.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Tapsucker wrote:I heard word today that Left Field is increasing their staff pay to $22/hr.

Kudos!

Agreed. Our craft beer industry constantly churns out deliciousness for us to enjoy and I feel like we rarely ask ourselves how the staff are doing/faring. Awesome to see Left Field paying a living wage to employees.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

cratez wrote:
Tapsucker wrote:I heard word today that Left Field is increasing their staff pay to $22/hr.

Kudos!

Agreed. Our craft beer industry constantly churns out deliciousness for us to enjoy and I feel like we rarely ask ourselves how the staff are doing/faring. Awesome to see Left Field paying a living wage to employees.
The "living wage" issue, of course, transcends the brewing industry. I find that the older I get, the more "socially conscious" I become, and I support this.

Here are a couple of links. Left Field is the fourth Ontario brewery to become Living Wage certified, joining Muskoka Brewery, Together We’re Bitter Co-operative Brewing and Concession Road Brewing.

https://www.canadianbeernews.com/2021/0 ... -employer/

https://www.leftfieldbrewery.ca/news/be ... e-employer

anthony9

Post by anthony9 »

Looks like they will be opening a location in Liberty Village. Via their instagram.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

anthony9 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:29 pm Looks like they will be opening a location in Liberty Village. Via their instagram.
I saw it via Canadian Beer News. I don't do social media.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Great news for LFB!

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Far easier location to get to for me than their original spot. If the Jays make the playoffs this year I hope their brewpub is up and going by then. Should be a great place to watch a game.
lister

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Great news indeed. I usually head up to LV for pre-show dinner/drinks before shows at the amphitheatre/Echo Beach, but I've never been impressed by most of the offerings there. LFB will be a great step up beer-wise and I imagine they'll have a good kitchen too.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

I have a pretty equal hatred for slavery, religion and pro-sports, so Left Field's branding shtick has never sat well with me. However, I love their beer and everyone I have ever met from there has been super nice, so I wish them the best with their expansion and will definitely patronize the new location.

Also, that old Brunswick factory sure has had a rotation of tenants. I hope they are the ones to make something finally stick.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

anthony9

Post by anthony9 »

Tapsucker wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:30 pm I have a pretty equal hatred for slavery, religion and pro-sports, so Left Field's branding shtick has never sat well with me. However, I love their beer and everyone I have ever met from there has been super nice, so I wish them the best with their expansion and will definitely patronize the new location.

Also, that old Brunswick factory sure has had a rotation of tenants. I hope they are the ones to make something finally stick.
Yikes. Maybe the worst take of the century.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Left Field's Liberty Village location is now open: https://www.leftfieldbrewery.ca/news/le ... e-now-open

Will be interested in checking it out, perhaps I will stop by today as I'll be in the city.
Visit us at 40 Hanna Ave in Liberty Village for a pour and a bite, catch the game or catch up with friends. We are still in soft-opening mode, and we appreciate your patience as we get our feet under us in this very new adventure. We are so glad to be sharing it with all of you and we can’t wait to see you!

Left Field Brewery Liberty Village is a Tap Room, Kitchen and Cold Beer Store, featuring 16 draught lines, delicious ballpark inspired eats and communal seating where every seat has a view of one of our 29 (!) TVs – a great place to catch a game if we do say so ourselves!

Visit us any time from 11AM to midnight, 7 days a week.

Cheers!

Cheers,
Team Left Field
Food menu: https://www.leftfieldbrewery.ca/wp-cont ... _Nov22.pdf

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Stopped into the new Left Field in Liberty last night.

Big place - two stories with upstairs and downstairs bars and various types of seating around. Beer to go store right as you walk in the front door. Brewing tanks visible throughout and operational once again. Lots of TVs throughout the space.

I never went to the old 3 Brewers location so I can't really compare what's changed in terms of the layout, but it does look like there's some holdover decor (such as the ornate ceiling panels) and the brewery is exactly the same, right down to the left over signage. But LFB's added lots of new themed stuff so it feels fresh.

I believe 16 beers on tap, a wide range of stuff including some launch collabs. They have Toast QR codes which enables you to order and pay directly through your phone which they encourage, but will still of course do traditional menu service. It was a bit funny sitting at the bar and ordering through my phone and the bartender (who at times was Mandie) bringing my beer over. But obviously they'll still take verbal orders!

A great location which is right on the corner of Hanna and Liberty, just up from the Exhibition Go station. A nice addition to the neighbourhood which now has three breweries (Something in the Water & Big Rock). A great spot to watch games or pre/post anything at BMO or the Bud Stage. Will definitely be back and I hope they do well in their new spot.
Attachments
IMG_7899.jpeg
IMG_7893.jpeg
IMG_7892.jpeg
IMG_7891.jpeg
IMG_7889.jpeg