Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Barncat Artisan Ales, Cambridge

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

duckdown

Post by duckdown »

Yeah so something weird happened with the Proximity Effect. I drank my second Crowler tonight and it's WAY better, mellowed out etc. I don't even want to hijack this thread with it, but I mentioned it earlier tonight it's drinking like a totally different beer

sorry to get off topic but is it possible the day i got it, it was too "early" or "young" ?

Today it drinks way better and I don't think it's a palette thing

I upped my rating tonight

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Yes, it's possible the beer was kegged and served too early. Especially if the harshness you describe is alcoholic heat, a little time and maybe even a little air in the Crowley would help it mellow.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Could be lots of other stuff too, including cleanliness of the bottle/glass, or palette even though you don't think it is. I find it hard to tell, personally.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Anyone in Waterloo or north going to Barncat this weekend, let me know if you can pick me up this weekend’s new DIPA.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

duckdown

Post by duckdown »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:Anyone in Waterloo or north going to Barncat this weekend, let me know if you can pick me up this weekend’s new DIPA.
I’ll be doing the run likely, meeting a buddy there too. NorthWorks as well if it looks new and interesting

I’m out of 36” Chain as of tonight so I’d trade up 2 for 2 minimum or just plain help you out for your order

duckdown

Post by duckdown »

Damn, that new Levitate looks like exactly what I’ve been waiting on... im gonna cringe if I get there and they’re sold out

Think they’d let us pre order lol

duckdown

Post by duckdown »

Looks like more IPA on the way judging from IG story

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

duckdown wrote:Looks like more IPA on the way judging from IG story
canning DIPA and TIPA today

duckdown

Post by duckdown »

matt7215 wrote:
duckdown wrote:Looks like more IPA on the way judging from IG story
canning DIPA and TIPA today
My man

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

duckdown wrote:Yeah so something weird happened with the Proximity Effect. I drank my second Crowler tonight and it's WAY better,

Today it drinks way better and I don't think it's a (palate) thing
It could also just be very freshly bottled / canned and needs a few days to a week to settle down.

This is the 'bottle shock' effect of wine packaging - it can be a jumbled mess of disconnected flavors unless you let it 'recover' a few weeks. A similar effect is discussed among aficionados of (hoppy) beer. This partly reflects a very short supply chain, and if that's the cause it can be viewed as a positive sign.
In Beerum Veritas

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

The other thing to note, is that a crowler is not like a regular can off a canning line. They do not have the same shelf life because there is a higher risk of oxygen getting in. Possibly why it's drinking differently is a bit of good oxidation

duckdown

Post by duckdown »

No beer for weeks and then they sell all the IPA's to a few reselling hoarders today. Came 2 hours after opening and the IPA were gone, allowing shops to buy 20 flats at a time. Lot of hilariously unhappy people (I guess I'm one of them) with BarnCat right now

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

duckdown wrote:No beer for weeks and then they sell all the IPA's to a few reselling hoarders today. Came 2 hours after opening and the IPA were gone, allowing shops to buy 20 flats at a time. Lot of hilariously unhappy people (I guess I'm one of them) with BarnCat right now

Wow, that went fast. Glad I was there early. The Pilsner is what I was really there to stock up on. Grabbed four each of the ipas. Had each of them before, but they’re really tasty. If I recal correct, I think Soace Juice was one of the very first beers they ever canned.
Seems that since they have to start canning everything......more people are grabbing lots, and turning around and trading them. Also seems likely more people are coming from further away, as the canned versions will last longer than the growlers.
This is why I miss the growler fills. If I couldn’t make it there for a couple weeks, chances are the beer was still available(except Pulp lol) when I could make it out.

That being said, we shouldn’t really be mad at the guys for wanting to move their product....regardless how it goes. They’re a small business and cash flow is likely a huge concern, especially in these times.
Luckily, there’s no shortage of really good breweries in Cambridge, a few of which can produce some fine ipas if you miss out on the Barncat. Sparrow,Northworks are both doing some really fine ipas. The last two ipas I had from Jackass were also quite delicious.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

This new Pilsner is great. The very first, original
Pilsner used to be my fav, but this one is even better I think.
Glow Cloud really really good as well....tasted more dank than I remeber it.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

sofakingdrunk wrote:This new Pilsner is great.
I love good pilsners. There's more Ontario pilsners than I tend to think there is (perhaps not all 'good'), but they don't get the same attention as, say, IPAs.