Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Redline Brewhouse - Barrie, ON

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Dennis

Redline Brewhouse - Barrie, ON

Post by Dennis »

Sorry if this has come up else where (I did a search and didn't find anything).

There's a new brewery opening in Barrie (South end by the Molson Centre - on Bayview) called Redline Brewhouse - it should be open in the next few weeks. I stopped in there to chat a few days ago and the place is fairly big; 22 hL system with lots of room for expansion, good sized restaurant space, bottle shop, etc.

Not sure how many other people on here are in Barrie (or drive through Barrie) but just thought I'd mention it.

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

http://www.redlinebrewhouse.com/

I live in Barrie. I'm interested. Hope the beer is good.

That'll make 3 breweries in Barrie:
Flying Monkeys
Barnstormer
Redline
That's the way she goes. Sometimes she goes, sometimes it doesn't. She didn't go. That's the way she goes.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

I am frequently up in Barrie and Innisfil so thanks for that. Hope the beer (and food) is good too. The more, the merrier!
lister

Dennis

Post by Dennis »

lister wrote:I am frequently up in Barrie and Innisfil so thanks for that. Hope the beer (and food) is good too. The more, the merrier!
The head chef was at Oscars and The Farmhouse before this - two places that had/have pretty decent food.

The head brewer (Seb who used to be at Flying Monkeys I believe) wasn't there that day so I didn't chat about the beer too much. Tried their Pale Ale and an IPA - interestingly they have an American Strong Ale as one of their three core brands - was hoping to try that but didn't get a chance.

Dennis

Post by Dennis »

dale cannon wrote:http://www.redlinebrewhouse.com/

I live in Barrie. I'm interested. Hope the beer is good.

That'll make 3 breweries in Barrie:
Flying Monkeys
Barnstormer
Redline
It's nice having a few options! Flying Monkeys is building a tap room as well (and the Local is always good).

Making progress.

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

Is Redline open now? Or did you just pop in for samples? Either way I will swing by ASAP to check out their setup.

The Local is definitely good for Ontario craft on tap. Somewhat surprised that a proper beer bar hasn't opened up in Barrie. It will happen. I think one would do well at this point if done correctly.
That's the way she goes. Sometimes she goes, sometimes it doesn't. She didn't go. That's the way she goes.

Dennis

Post by Dennis »

dale cannon wrote:Is Redline open now? Or did you just pop in for samples? Either way I will swing by ASAP to check out their setup.

The Local is definitely good for Ontario craft on tap. Somewhat surprised that a proper beer bar hasn't opened up in Barrie. It will happen. I think one would do well at this point if done correctly.
Not open yet (I think they said July 14ish). I'm working on a piece about beer in Barrie (for The Bar Towel) so they let me come in for a tour of the place, try some beers, and take some pictures (I've posted a few of the pictures I took on instagram already - theipamyth). Flying Monkeys, Barnstormer, and The Local are all included in the story.

I think it'll happen as well - likely in the South End somewhere (or the North End of Bayfield).

alsiem

Post by alsiem »

This thread got me thinking about Barrie breweries as I was planning on driving through the area. I just reviewed Barnstormer Brewery in the pub reviews if you have interest in that establishment for your story.

Dennis

Post by Dennis »

alsiem wrote:This thread got me thinking about Barrie breweries as I was planning on driving through the area. I just reviewed Barnstormer Brewery in the pub reviews if you have interest in that establishment for your story.
Thanks, Alsiem. I chatted with Dustin at Barnstormer for the story (now posted on the main site).

Dennis

Post by Dennis »

Retail has opened for Redline now - looks like the restaurant should open tomorrow.

Must say, the APA (Clutch) is killer and their American Strong is really nice as well (Speed Wobble). I think the Golden Ale needs some work but I'm pretty stoked to see how Redline progresses. Solid start.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Had their speed wobble and clutch back at the Barrie beer/rib fest some time ago. Both nicely done, both had some room for improvement...but overall, for their first attempt, I was pleased.
Hope they do well with an official space and opening.

Dennis

Post by Dennis »

El Pinguino wrote:Had their speed wobble and clutch back at the Barrie beer/rib fest some time ago. Both nicely done, both had some room for improvement...but overall, for their first attempt, I was pleased.
Hope they do well with an official space and opening.
Clutch made no impression on me when I tried it at Rib Fest - small sample served too cold. I have a lot more appreciation for it after having a few cans the past few days.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Good to hear Talon....my guess was they were a bit rushed getting things for the ribfest.....so I'm sure their beers weren't in prime condition.
At least they were good enough for me to want to visit their place next time I head that way....
:D

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

I was at Redline this past Saturday for their official opening. I got a couple of samples in their store then headed into the restaurant. Clutch and Boosted were the most interesting. Speedwooble was fine. 5:01 is what it is, something the macroheads will drink.

Rather bad menu gaff putting the pizzas under the sandwich section where it says fries or soup (or additional $$$ salad) accompanies the main. Oops! I thought it was a little weird but maybe the pizzas were small. Nope. I didn't get the included side but we were given some warm pretzel bites presumably as a "Yeah we fucked up" thing. The food was fine. The pizza crust could use some work but otherwise tasty. The burger and caesar salad were good.

I bought two of each beer to go and some t-shirts. The nearly 1L growler cans are an interesting idea.

I'll be back for visits (especially if I had to be in the area for lunch or dinner so as to avoid the mayhem of the Park Place mess.)

Nice to see Barrie/Innisfil get some more craft beer options! :D
lister

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

lister wrote:The nearly 1L growler cans are an interesting idea.
?? What are these?

On their website, it appears they sell standard 473 ml cans.