Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Bellwoods Brewery

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

Craig wrote:They normally have the releases on tap in the bar next door, don't they? You could probably just walk over and ask for a taste.
I've tried that before. They said "no".

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

They do sell sampler sizes.

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

JerCraigs wrote:They do sell sampler sizes.
Then perhaps they didn't have it on tap yet. I think it was Barn Owl #1 or No Rest.

Also, I generally go on my lunch break and the brewpub is not always open.

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

I think the sample idea would be nice, especially since the pub opens much later than the bottle shop. Those of us who like to go at lunch have to buy based on expectation and experience.

That said, I've never had any trouble finding trade partners for any of the bottles I buy. I always buy the maximum per person allotment. Extra bottles of Bellwoods limited release stuff have turned into some pretty spectacular bottles from elsewhere that I would otherwise have great difficulty acquiring on my own. You'd think I lived in BC with all the great Four Winds special releases I have in my cellar, mostly received in exchange for Bellwoods stuff.

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

Coronaeus wrote:I think the sample idea would be nice, especially since the pub opens much later than the bottle shop. Those of us who like to go at lunch have to buy based on expectation and experience.

That said, I've never had any trouble finding trade partners for any of the bottles I buy. I always buy the maximum per person allotment. Extra bottles of Bellwoods limited release stuff have turned into some pretty spectacular bottles from elsewhere that I would otherwise have great difficulty acquiring on my own. You'd think I lived in BC with all the great Four Winds special releases I have in my cellar, mostly received in exchange for Bellwoods stuff.
A couple thoughts… First, I'm not sure they're allowed to offer samples in their bottle shops. I know the licensing for brewpubs/bottle shops in Ontario is on the extra silly side. They have to have a separate door, etc. That said, in the past, they usually haven't been able to meet demand for bottle releases, so why go out of their way to offer a sample.

Second, where do you find these great trading partners for BC beer? I have brought beers of bellwoods to trade when traveling, but always ones that I thought were quite good. Not sure where the Lambda will fall in that spectrum.

Finally, I kind of wonder if their quality has been slipping a bit with barrel-aged beers. Some of these last few releases have underwhelmed me quite a lot (with the exception of the Cherry Farmageddon). Even within a series, I liked the second Donkey venom less than the first (less funk/sour), and the second Barn Owl was noticeably worse than the first.

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

napoleon wrote:
Second, where do you find these great trading partners for BC beer?
Beer Advocate. I started with the Canadian Beer it Forward blind swaps (CANBIF). From there, simply updating my "gots" on the site when I shop at Bellwoods seems to encourage trade requests. There definitely is a demand for the stuff. I've developed 4 great trade relationships through the site.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

napoleon wrote:
Coronaeus wrote:\
Finally, I kind of wonder if their quality has been slipping a bit with barrel-aged beers. Some of these last few releases have underwhelmed me quite a lot (with the exception of the Cherry Farmageddon). Even within a series, I liked the second Donkey venom less than the first (less funk/sour), and the second Barn Owl was noticeably worse than the first.
sample size of 2 releases. i mean, give things a chance....

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

I second that Bellwood's trades well on Beer Advocate. I've done a few Bellwood's international trades on there.

My favourite was an IP in Portland. I did:

BOYD
No Rest
Barn Owl #1
Farmageddon
Hellwoods
Bounty Hunter
Cat Lady
DDC BA Aphro
DDC BA Equinoxe
DDC BA Derniere
DDC BA Solstice d'hiver

For:

de Garde Beaucoup Desay
de Garde Beaucoup Violet
de Garde Saison Premier
de Garde Oude Rruin
Block 15 Turbulent Consequence: Peche
Block 15 Anniversary
Block 15 Kriek

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

Grabbed some Lambda at noon today. I was told they are trying to limit people to 8 bottles. It didn't sound firm though, at least in the way the cashier phrased it. She also suggested that next week's release would likely be limited to 4, but she wasn't entirely sure.

beerguykw

Post by beerguykw »

Was there a line at all? busy?

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

beerguykw wrote:Was there a line at all? busy?
I was there around 12:15 and there was no line. The cashier said there was a small line when they opened at 11 and that she was expecting some more volume through the lunch hour and then another surge after work.

beerguykw

Post by beerguykw »

Hopefully, they have some tomorrow morning!

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Coronaeus wrote:Grabbed some Lambda at noon today. I was told they are trying to limit people to 8 bottles. It didn't sound firm though, at least in the way the cashier phrased it. She also suggested that next week's release would likely be limited to 4, but she wasn't entirely sure.
I think the bottle count on Lambda is similar to the BA Monogamy, so I wouldn't be too worried about rushing down for bottles.

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

Bottle count is 3,933 as per the label on the bottles that I bought.

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

I predict Lambda lasts more than a week. Its a great beer.....but you can buy Rochefort 10 for half the price.....