Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Bellwoods Brewery

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

jp_jkl wrote:In the newsletter, there was mention of new "super drinkable, juicy" IIPA being released today.

Did anyone happen to see what this is while grabbing Donkey Venom today?
not seeing it on the website, wonder if they weren't able to get it out today.

skootles

Post by skootles »

In the past they've released stuff in the shop without putting it on their site right away (to my dismay). This might be one of those, but I haven't been by today (clothes are still drying out from my unfortunately timed bike ride into work today).

Also, according to their twitter there's a 1 case limit (12 beers) for Donkey Venom.

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

skootles wrote:In the past they've released stuff in the shop without putting it on their site right away (to my dismay). This might be one of those, but I haven't been by today (clothes are still drying out from my unfortunately timed bike ride into work today).

Also, according to their twitter there's a 1 case limit (12 beers) for Donkey Venom.
that could certainly be. i'm gonna head out there in a bit, i'll let everyone here know.

of all the releases this month i expect donkey venom to sell the worst, seems like a pretty divisive beer among us nerds. watch it sells out this weekend though. who knows.

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

they tweeted back at me, it'll be in bottles tonight.

guess i'll just go tomorrow

skootles

Post by skootles »

My SO stopped by around 1:30 and they were just putting bottles out. Did a bit of sleuthing on the Bellwoods site and found this product page for it (edit: hah, and just after I posted this it went live)

It's called Double Polaris, it's 8% ABV, and the bottles are $6.50 ea.

http://bellwoodsbrewery.com/product/double-polaris

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

The Double Polaris is quite nice. I'm unfamiliar with the hop. I got a bit nervous about the malt forward description, but it reads as less malty to me than Boogie Monster.

The Donkey Venom is my favorite of these releases. Closer in sourness level to the first batch than the second. Now, I just need to trade/sell my 3 Minutes so I can afford the Donkey Venoms ;)

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

napoleon wrote:The Double Polaris is quite nice. I'm unfamiliar with the hop. I got a bit nervous about the malt forward description, but it reads as less malty to me than Boogie Monster.

The Donkey Venom is my favorite of these releases. Closer in sourness level to the first batch than the second. Now, I just need to trade/sell my 3 Minutes so I can afford the Donkey Venoms ;)

Well, as of about 3 PM this afternoon they are out of 3 minutes in the bottle shop, so your bottles are just that much more valuable now . :wink:

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

Am I crazy or does the Double Polaris have strong brussels sprouts aroma and flavour? While this sounds awful, I quite enjoy this beer.

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

absolutely love double polaris

skootles

Post by skootles »

I quite liked it too, very juicy with pine-y flavours. I'd stock up if you want more though, they said it was a one-off on their FB page.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Coronaeus wrote:Am I crazy or does the Double Polaris have strong brussels sprouts aroma and flavour? While this sounds awful, I quite enjoy this beer.
I got a ton of cucumber and mint out of it, though that's potentially influenced by the description. I wanted more fruit and less greenery personally.

gordonpeterwiebe

Post by gordonpeterwiebe »

I was going to hold my tongue on this one but it (my tongue) was insulted by the double polaris!
I thought it was a disaster. It tasted like a IIPA I'd expect from an "ok" homebrewer or one of the smaller/newer breweries that are popping up in every little town in Ontario (no good).
I wish I liked these guys (I live a couple blocks away)... but, I've had next to no love for their ale output (some of the jutsus were interesting and a good batch of boogie/witchshark are drinkable in my books though).

jp_jkl

Post by jp_jkl »

Rocky's Farmhouse Ale is in the bottle shop.

skootles

Post by skootles »

jp_jkl wrote:Rocky's Farmhouse Ale is in the bottle shop.
As is Monogamy - Columbus.

Stopped by today and was pleasantly surprised that both of those were in there. Didn't get a chance to try either when they were in the brewpub / bottle shop before so I grabbed one of each.

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

So the well-sourced rumour is that their new location at Dupont and Dovercourt is taking forever and that they have leased another facility in the junction for production in the interim. Not too much in the way of details, but I trust the source.