Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Bellwoods Brewery

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

Lots of Bellwoods news in the newsletter today:
  • Hellwoods in bottles this afternoon
  • Some new dry-hopped sour on tap today (unnamed)
  • January 15: Release of Armageddon #9 and Three Minutes to Midnight with cherries and raspberries

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

Maybe they'll call this Dry-Hopped Sour 'Four Winds'.

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

BakaGaijin wrote:Maybe they'll call this Dry-Hopped Sour 'Four Winds'.
I don't know what they're going to call it, but it's pretty tasty. Vaguely reminiscent of a cross between Rodenbach Vintage and a dry-hopped Hill Farmstead farmhouse. Not as vinegary as the Rodenbach, and not with the depth and complexity of the HF, but still quite tasty!

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

napoleon wrote:
I don't know what they're going to call it, but it's pretty tasty. Vaguely reminiscent of a cross between Rodenbach Vintage and a dry-hopped Hill Farmstead farmhouse. Not as vinegary as the Rodenbach, and not with the depth and complexity of the HF, but still quite tasty!
I was just joking. Four Winds does a dry-hopped sour called Nectarous. It is incredible.

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

BakaGaijin wrote:
napoleon wrote:
I was just joking. Four Winds does a dry-hopped sour called Nectarous. It is incredible.
Bellwoods slurped the Nectarous in their Cask Days blog so I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to brew a beer in its image. I stopped by after work this week but I had BOYD blinders on and the sole purpose of my visit was to try this year's version on tap, I didn't even notice what else was pouring. I didn't get the chance to try Nectarous at Cask Days as it was tapped by Saturday when I went. Given that I also managed to overlook Hellwoods in the bottle shop, perhaps a return to Bellwoods in in order.

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

And on the subject on BOYD 2015, FWIW, I think the tap version was more subdued in terms of barrel flavour than the bottled version, while still being notably more cognac-forward than last year's edition. It's a great style either way, particularly for me as someone who would prefer a glass of cognac over bourbon any day of the week. With so many brewers experimenting with bourbon barrel aged imperial stouts you'd think that someone else out there would hazard an attempt at a cognac/brandy aged variation. Maybe it's just that much harder to secure these barrels from France than it is bourbon barrels from the US?

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

Provost Drunk wrote:
BakaGaijin wrote:
napoleon wrote: I don't know what they're going to call it, but it's pretty tasty. Vaguely reminiscent of a cross between Rodenbach Vintage and a dry-hopped Hill Farmstead farmhouse. Not as vinegary as the Rodenbach, and not with the depth and complexity of the HF, but still quite tasty!
Bellwoods slurped the Nectarous in their Cask Days blog so I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to brew a beer in its image. I stopped by after work this week but I had BOYD blinders on and the sole purpose of my visit was to try this year's version on tap, I didn't even notice what else was pouring. I didn't get the chance to try Nectarous at Cask Days as it was tapped by Saturday when I went. Given that I also managed to overlook Hellwoods in the bottle shop, perhaps a return to Bellwoods in in order.
I missed Nectarous at Cask Days as well. Was gutted. Had to stalk people from BC on trade forums until I got one of them to send me some. ;)

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

2 days after 3 MM is released and not one post about it.
weird.
It's on tap at Bellwoods and it's a big, amazing beer. Perfect amount of fruit in it.

walz22

Post by walz22 »

atomeyes wrote:2 days after 3 MM is released and not one post about it.
weird.
It's on tap at Bellwoods and it's a big, amazing beer. Perfect amount of fruit in it.
Agreed, had it on tap last night and thought it was fantastic. You really do notice the raspberries, which is a nice addition.

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

yeah, tried it and the dry hopped sour and really loved both of them. i'm shocked the 3 mins hasn't sold out.

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

weird.
I haven't noticed 3 MM on Bellwoods' website as being available on tap and they're usually pretty good about keeping it up-to-date. I am planning to meet some friends there later this evening - hopefully it's still available on tap and/or in the bottle shop.

Raspberry 3 MM is another on a disappointingly long list of beers that I missed at Cask Days!

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

Provost Drunk wrote:
weird.
I haven't noticed 3 MM on Bellwoods' website as being available on tap and they're usually pretty good about keeping it up-to-date. I am planning to meet some friends there later this evening - hopefully it's still available on tap and/or in the bottle shop.

Raspberry 3 MM is another on a disappointingly long list of beers that I missed at Cask Days!
i don't recall it showing on the website when we went on friday but it was definitely there. and it was incredible.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

I prefer this version to the regular 3 minutes.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

sprague11 wrote:I prefer this version to the regular 3 minutes.
As do I - the raspberries add an additional level of complexity. It reminds me of Sawdust City's Blood of Cthulhu, although I found that the flavour profile of 3 MTM opens with a lot of raspberry fruitiness and then transitions to more tart cherry notes in the mid palate and my recollection of Cthulhu is that the order of these flavours is inverted.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Bellwoods aficionados: I bought a bottle of 3 MTM today (there was still lots at the bottle shop this morning, BTW). Do I drink now or age? Unfortunately - mostly due to cost - I only have one.