Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Bellwoods Brewery

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Ahhhh. Right. Didn't check out the locale and didn't put two-and-two together, but that makes sense. Too bad, was super excited for a sec there (but good for both Bellwoods and Trillium).

skootles

Post by skootles »

Yeah the Trillium folks also posted a photo of their Ratebeer badge so it's probably for that.
CoolB wrote:I've never even heard of Bellwoods but it seems to be the most popular thread on the Bar towel.

I'm rarely in Toronto these days. Do they have anything at the LCBO/TBS or bars outside of TO?
No LCBO / TBS listings. Unsure about bars.

portwood

Post by portwood »

skootles wrote:Yeah the Trillium folks also posted a photo of their Ratebeer badge so it's probably for that.
CoolB wrote:I've never even heard of Bellwoods but it seems to be the most popular thread on the Bar towel.

I'm rarely in Toronto these days. Do they have anything at the LCBO/TBS or bars outside of TO?
No LCBO / TBS listings. Unsure about bars.
Barvolo
wvrst
maybe couple others
@markhamwhisky

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

BakaGaijin wrote:^^^^
That post was from California. I assume they are both there for the RateBeer awards. Bellwood's and Trillium were both named Top 100 brewers in the world.

http://www.ratebeer.com/RateBeerBest/Be ... ld2016.asp
yet someone won't drive down from Markham because their beer's not worth it. LOL.

people should hang out at Hill Farmstead some time to see where the US beer culture is. people are vacationing and driving to buttfuck nowhere to line up and wait for growlers and bottles. oh, toronto....

portwood

Post by portwood »

atomeyes wrote:
That post was from California. I assume they are both there for the RateBeer awards. Bellwood's and Trillium were both named Top 100 brewers in the world.

yet someone won't drive down from Markham because their beer's not worth it. LOL.

people should hang out at Hill Farmstead some time to see where the US beer culture is. people are vacationing and driving to buttfuck nowhere to line up and wait for growlers and bottles. oh, toronto....
Dude, I have my priorities, you have yours, lets leave it at that.

No need to swear or make fun of people for not going nuts over the same stuff as you
@markhamwhisky

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

portwood wrote:
atomeyes wrote:

No need to swear or make fun of people for not going nuts over the same stuff as you
Mr. Portwood, sad as it is, some people are going to give you this crap. Looking ahead, I was thinking of booking a vacation to Toronto this summer to check out a few breweries, as I don't get into the city much either. Maybe you'd like to join me. :)

FEUO

Post by FEUO »

portwood wrote:
atomeyes wrote:

You said something silly and people calling you out. Get over it. Lick your wounds quietly and keep on truckin.

But to pile on you some more, someone asks about where to get Bellwoods outside of TO and you answer with Volo and Wvrst. Could you be less helpful? Those are in Toronto and to be frank I'm not sure either carry Bellwoods as I've not seen it on either list on the regular. I haven't been to Volo in a long time (because they suck) so I can't say if they've carried Bellwoods lately. Wvrst hasn't each time I've been in. Maybe I've just been unlucky.
Bar Hop has had Bellwoods on and off the last few years.

FEUO

Post by FEUO »

skootles wrote:Bellwoods / Trillium Brewing teasing us with this tweet showing 2016 Skeleton Key and what appears to be Barn Owl #3.

I say Barn Owl #3 because the label colour is a bit lighter than the red of Barn Owl 1 (more like a peach colour, which makes sense given it's made with peaches) and the first couple words on the label are "Mixed fermentation," and it was described at Cask Days as a "Mixed Fermentation Farmouse Ale w. Ontario Peaches."
This is a cool shot. I doubt there is a collab brewing, but I'll check with my contact at Trillium. ;)
He's received a few shipments of Bellwoods from me over the past year, but he isn't a brewer so...

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Cheers
West of Toronto the only 2 places I've seen Bellwoods is the Woolwich Arrow in Guelph and Milo's in London. Both have them on infrequently as they have to drive to Toronto to get the kegs themselves.

I think there's a place in Hamilton (Brux?) that has them on occasionally as well, but I don't travel that way so I'm going by hearsay.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Both Brux and The Brain have Bellwoods bottles pretty regularly in Hamilton. Draught, not so much.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:

Cheers
West of Toronto the only 2 places I've seen Bellwoods is the Woolwich Arrow in Guelph and Milo's in London. Both have them on infrequently as they have to drive to Toronto to get the kegs themselves.

I think there's a place in Hamilton (Brux?) that has them on occasionally as well, but I don't travel that way so I'm going by hearsay.
in Oshawa, Buster Rhinos has some bottles

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:

Cheers

Jane Bond has had bottles, and Abe Erb has had kegs, both in Waterloo.
"There's always money in the banana stand."

skootles

Post by skootles »

FEUO wrote:I haven't been to Volo in a long time (because they suck) so I can't say if they've carried Bellwoods lately.
At risk of derailing the thread a bit, care to explain why they suck? Just curious as I quite like the place for the most part. And I'm not sure about on draft (they do seem to have some from time to time) but they definitely carry Bellwoods bottles regularly.

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

Bru in oakville has bottles

FEUO

Post by FEUO »

skootles wrote:
FEUO wrote:I haven't been to Volo in a long time (because they suck) so I can't say if they've carried Bellwoods lately.
At risk of derailing the thread a bit, care to explain why they suck? Just curious as I quite like the place for the most part. And I'm not sure about on draft (they do seem to have some from time to time) but they definitely carry Bellwoods bottles regularly.
I've ranted about them too much already. Service (lack of) model, terrible location. Admittedly their food menu has improved drastically over just having chips. Some people seem to like them. Thats fine. Different strokes for different folks. I just can't stand people jumping to their defense simply based on them being around a long time excusing a terrible service model and being fortunate to host Zwanze day.
I MAY go back one day, just for the Jesty.