Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Bellwoods Brewery

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

AugustusRex

Post by AugustusRex »

boney wrote:^^^ Agree with all of your benefits/detriments in principle, but I would still say opinions are just opinions. There can be well informed, insightful opinions or baseless opinions said simply to get a rise. I think most reasonable people can sort them out pretty easily. Most things that do get debated on the internet aren't objective "truths" anyway and it becomes more about the personalities having the debates than the question itself. There's nothing wrong discussing differences in opinion and having healthy debates. However, on the internet, as in life, that rarely happens and most "debates" are ad hominem personal attacks because someone objects to someone elses subjective perception of the world. I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not interested in policing the internet. That would be one exhausting, losing battle.

Back to Bellwoods. Excited for Skeleton Key, but probably wont be able to make it to the bottleshop until mid-next week and wouldn't be suprised if this one breaks the recent trend of selling put by the end of the weekend.
About Bellwoods pricing, I think their special releases such as 3M2M, Skeleton Key etc are a steal. Something of that quality from the States would be so much more.

But their everyday beer such as Jutsu and Wizard Wolf are too expensive to buy in large quantity (which is what I would want). Imagine Jutsu cans for $2.50 :o I don't even think I would drink anything else.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

AugustusRex wrote:
About Bellwoods pricing, I think their special releases such as 3M2M, Skeleton Key etc are a steal. Something of that quality from the States would be so much more.

But their everyday beer such as Jutsu and Wizard Wolf are too expensive to buy in large quantity (which is what I would want). Imagine Jutsu cans for $2.50 :o I don't even think I would drink anything else.
see how much good canning lines cost? it's absolutely insane. there's a reason why the big boys are the ones doing cans and not the small guys.
quality canning lines cost as much as a GTA house

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

atomeyes wrote:
AugustusRex wrote:

see how much good canning lines cost? it's absolutely insane. there's a reason why the big boys are the ones doing cans and not the small guys.
That's why a lot of smaller breweries in the States are using Crowler machines. A starter kit is only about $3000.

nickw

Post by nickw »

BakaGaijin wrote:
atomeyes wrote:
AugustusRex wrote:

That's why a lot of smaller breweries in the States are using Crowler machines. A starter kit is only about $3000.
I notied over the holidays that Tooth and Nail in Ottawa has one as well.

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

BakaGaijin wrote:
atomeyes wrote:
AugustusRex wrote:

But morebeer counterpressure fillers are under $100 USD a pop and six of them can package a heck of a lot of beer. Plus, warehousing cans for some brands while bottle conditioning other when it's easier to standardize on one format etc and filling live from taps is tough for pubs when you need separation of pub and shop in Ontario etc

jp_jkl

Post by jp_jkl »

AugustusRex wrote: About Bellwoods pricing, I think their special releases such as 3M2M, Skeleton Key etc are a steal. Something of that quality from the States would be so much more.

I completely agree. I don't mind spending $12 on a special release as they can be cellared for a while and enjoyed on a special occasion. I fully intend to buy 4 Skeleton Key bottles tomorrow.

While I do love Wizard Wolf ($4.50), Roman Candle ($5.50) and Witchshark ($6.50), they are just too expensive to buy regularly. There are just as good, or arguably better, IPAs available at the LCBO for $3.25. The 27ml size difference is negligible to me. Where I do see some value in Bellwoods pricing is that you can buy these IPAs incredibly fresh, often the day they were bottled if your timing is right.

FEUO

Post by FEUO »

boney wrote:
FEUO wrote:
sprague11 wrote:So Portwood went to a brewery he doesnt care for to spend too much money on beer he knew going in he would find overpriced?
Bingo.

Reminds me of the two "winners" on untappd who continue to drink Bellwoods beers and crap all over them for having some of that "Bellwoods character".
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
I recall reading your reaction to them on untapped. You accused them of being trolls and then proceeded to have a gigantic spazzy troll-out on them with your caps lock on.

Opinions are just opinions. Who cares?
Thank you, troll.
If you take the few seconds to read what has led us to this point in the discussion.... we were talking about and wondering why people crap on breweries and still buy their stuff. I don't understand.

And if you don't care about opinions leave the internet. WTF, dude. This is a forum.

FEUO

Post by FEUO »

portwood wrote:
boney wrote:Opinions are just opinions.
Bingo
Unless you're the owner, why get worked up over someone else not being a fanboy of your favorite brewery?
You are the one getting worked up over the price. WHY buy their stuff then proceed to bitch about their pricing online?
I'm not worked up. I just don't understand people of your ilk.

FEUO

Post by FEUO »

atomeyes wrote:
AugustusRex wrote:

Or pay to have someone come in and can for you, then leave. There are outfits that do that in this province.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

OK, well yes, I do indeed inderstand the context of the discussion. Perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my comments. Let me clarify. I really enjoy having good discussions about beer. That's why I'm social at the pub and post things on various beer forums. What I don't understand is why some people get so upset when someone disagrees with their opinion. If someone disagrees with me I am more interested in learning why we disagree than proving their opinion wrong and my opinion right. Hopefully after that discussion I will have learned something new or appreciated a new perspective. If not, no harm done. I'll never, or at least very rarely, get upset over anything written about beer on the internet or be upset that someone disagrees with me on an internet forum. Wasted energy. So, yeah, at the end of the day, opinions are just opinions.

I'm really not trying to be a troll. Hell, if you are ever passing through Hamilton, shoot me a message and we'll grab a pint.

Cheers

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

boney wrote:OK, well yes, I do indeed inderstand the context of the discussion. Perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my comments. Let me clarify. I really enjoy having good discussions about beer. That's why I'm social at the pub and post things on various beer forums. What I don't understand is why some people get so upset when someone disagrees with their opinion. If someone disagrees with me I am more interested in learning why we disagree than proving their opinion wrong and my opinion right. Hopefully after that discussion I will have learned something new or appreciated a new perspective. If not, no harm done. I'll never, or at least very rarely, get upset over anything written about beer on the internet or be upset that someone disagrees with me on an internet forum. Wasted energy. So, yeah, at the end of the day, opinions are just opinions.

I'm really not trying to be a troll. Hell, if you are ever passing through Hamilton, shoot me a message and we'll grab a pint.

Cheers

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

I assume that Skeleton Key was released today on schedule and is not sold out? I'll be braving the cold and heading out for my allotment shortly, unless I hear that there is no reason to do so.

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

I was there at 2:45 and no one else was there with me. Looked like a bunch left as well.

walz22

Post by walz22 »

Yeah I just left about 20 minutes ago, still appeared to be plenty there.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

I've never had Skeleton Key. If any KW folks are that way this weekend please pick me up a bottle. Payment in cash plus free beer!

EDIT: Nevermind.
Last edited by MatttthewGeorge on Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.