Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Bellwoods Brewery

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

jelly king is great. love the hop aroma.

skootles

Post by skootles »

Motley 2016 details released:

http://bellwoodsbrewery.com/its-our-birthday-part-2/
Motley Cru 2016 is a Niagara Wild Ale Blend w/ Gewurztraminer, an 80/20 split of barrel aged Niagara wild ale (inoculated with grape must) and barrel aged sour.

... max of 1 case per person (for the first week), 8% ABV, $13/BTL.
Edit: 1 case in Bellwoods speak = 12 bottles.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Sounds like Motley is going to be an interesting brew.
Reading about it does make you wonder what other weird experiments they have happening in their barrels over there.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

I had the Jelly King both on draft and in bottle and I must say that the bottle version is fantastic! Such a nice floral aroma that really didn't happen with the draft version.
lister

MeltedOzark

Post by MeltedOzark »

lister wrote:I had the Jelly King both on draft and in bottle and I must say that the bottle version is fantastic! Such a nice floral aroma that really didn't happen with the draft version.
It sold out a lot faster than I was expecting. Really hope another batch is in the works right now.

Who is planning on lining up early for Motley Cru? I have some friends heading there fairly early and I'm wondering if the taplist at the brewpub will be worth it. Hoping to try both new beers on tap.

rfrf

Post by rfrf »

MeltedOzark wrote:
lister wrote:I had the Jelly King both on draft and in bottle and I must say that the bottle version is fantastic! Such a nice floral aroma that really didn't happen with the draft version.
It sold out a lot faster than I was expecting. Really hope another batch is in the works right now.

Who is planning on lining up early for Motley Cru? I have some friends heading there fairly early and I'm wondering if the taplist at the brewpub will be worth it. Hoping to try both new beers on tap.
I think I'm going to plan to goto the bar for 11am, and get bottles early in the afternoon.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

MeltedOzark wrote:

I think someone mentioned here that another round of Jelly King will happen in the summer.

Yeah, I'll be going to Bellwoods early for Motley Cru. Trying to decide between 4-6 bottles.
lister

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

The Donkey Venom is totally majestic. Everything you could love in a strong porter and a sour, aged in a donkey. Or a barrel.

The Jelly King is pretty darn good, look forward to trying the bottle version. A lot of Bellwoods beers need revisiting, and just sampling them doesn't reveal their depth.
In Beerum Veritas

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

Went to the store today. Plenty of stock left. The sales clerk said they expect it to last maybe another week, so you don't necessarily have to rush.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Good to know, thanks. I really wasn't up to waiting in a queue for this.
In Beerum Veritas

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

Glad to hear it is going to last for a bit for all those unable to make it there on the week-end. I got there early on Saturday and even by about 10:30, the line was not very long, at least compared to last year. Having two cashes going helped a lot with the line movement too I think. I was about the 30-35th person in line, and I was back in my car by 11:20.

One thing I did find surprising was how little most of the people in line in front of me were buying. A lot were walking away with one or two four packs at most, and several of those had other beers in their four packs as well. I don't think I saw one person leave with two 12 bottle cases while I was there.

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

grabbed a few bottles of both, tried the grandma's boy last night. just wow.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Tried the Motley Cru 2016 on the weekend.

I think I prefer the Jelly King!
lister

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

Jelly king in bottles pales in comparison to it on draft. I have another bottle, but damn I was super disappointed. Cru on the other hand is top notch, though I am curious to try it on draft whenever they decide to do that.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

DeMarco wrote:Jelly king in bottles pales in comparison to it on draft. I have another bottle, but damn I was super disappointed. Cru on the other hand is top notch, though I am curious to try it on draft whenever they decide to do that.
I found the reverse to be true for the Jelly King. The draft was lackluster and lacking that fantastic punchy aroma and flavour. Weird.
lister