Bellwoods Brewery

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: GregClow, Cass

User avatar
jeremyg
Posts: 304
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 3:57 pm

Re: Bellwoods Brewery

Postby jeremyg » Mon May 16, 2016 12:34 pm

yeah, i liked it bottled more myself too
User avatar
El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1391
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:02 pm
Location: Downtown TO / Galapagos Islands
Contact:

Re: Bellwoods Brewery

Postby El Pinguino » Mon May 16, 2016 1:54 pm

Jelly King is a great beer that I would happily buy on a fairly regular basis.
Thought that Grandmas Boy was slightly better than Motley Cru, but who knows how things will change in 6 months, a year...
User avatar
DeMarco
Posts: 317
Joined: Mon May 04, 2015 1:01 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: Bellwoods Brewery

Postby DeMarco » Mon May 16, 2016 3:16 pm

lister wrote:
DeMarco wrote:Jelly king in bottles pales in comparison to it on draft. I have another bottle, but damn I was super disappointed. Cru on the other hand is top notch, though I am curious to try it on draft whenever they decide to do that.


I found the reverse to be true for the Jelly King. The draft was lackluster and lacking that fantastic punchy aroma and flavour. Weird.


I feel crazy now that you say that. I had it on saturday again to see if it was just this batch and on tap it was super aromatic, balanced mouthfeel and pretty sour patch tart. The bottle reminded me of a sessionable version of that, less tart, kinda watery, mellow nose.

I need to try another bottle. I might wait a bit to see if the bottle just needs time.
User avatar
lister
Beer Superstar
Posts: 2040
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:33 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: Bellwoods Brewery

Postby lister » Mon May 16, 2016 3:58 pm

DeMarco wrote:
lister wrote:
DeMarco wrote:Jelly king in bottles pales in comparison to it on draft. I have another bottle, but damn I was super disappointed. Cru on the other hand is top notch, though I am curious to try it on draft whenever they decide to do that.


I found the reverse to be true for the Jelly King. The draft was lackluster and lacking that fantastic punchy aroma and flavour. Weird.


I feel crazy now that you say that. I had it on saturday again to see if it was just this batch and on tap it was super aromatic, balanced mouthfeel and pretty sour patch tart. The bottle reminded me of a sessionable version of that, less tart, kinda watery, mellow nose.

I need to try another bottle. I might wait a bit to see if the bottle just needs time.


I was there on Mon May 9th. Maybe different kegs?
lister
Coronaeus
Posts: 267
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:11 pm

Re: Bellwoods Brewery

Postby Coronaeus » Tue May 17, 2016 7:37 am

For those who may have missed it, Bellwoods tweeted the following yesterday afternoon:

Monday afternoon update on beer levels: 1900ish (of 5200) bottles of Motley and 2400ish (of 4800) bottles of Grandma's Boy remain.
User avatar
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend
Posts: 9742
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Earth

Re: Bellwoods Brewery

Postby Belgian » Fri May 20, 2016 12:58 am

I found the Motley Cru pretty tasty. I won't be stockpiling any of these, though it's fun to try them all.

Always a surprising brewery! Donkey Venom alone is worth a stop by the pub.

Oh and some very old bottles in cellar I will have to parse through… should be fun.
In Beerum Veritas
napoleon
Posts: 282
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:37 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re: Bellwoods Brewery

Postby napoleon » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:51 am

The apricot jelly king was in the bottle shop this weekend. Not sure it ever made the website or any sort of announcement. I tried it...it's interesting, a bit like alcoholic apricot juice. Refreshing, but maybe too much apricot for me. I think I prefer the normal jelly king a bit.
User avatar
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend
Posts: 9742
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Earth

Re: Bellwoods Brewery

Postby Belgian » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:13 am

The hopping is different in the Apricot Jelly King and it had a good fruity aroma that is less dry but something about the taste seemed off for me - maybe a touch green dirty and vegetal on the finish instead of generously tangy-sweet against the lingering sourness.

Still a good effort. Just seemed like some funky or unripe* fruit got in there, or it could be some weird aspect of brewing with apricots. I would try anything these guys/gals make.

* Do we ever get ripe fruit on Ontario more than five minutes a year, this is a compelling reason to live in Italy or California...
In Beerum Veritas
User avatar
skootles
Posts: 200
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:55 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: Bellwoods Brewery

Postby skootles » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:37 am

Jelly King (regular version I assume) is coming back to the bottle shop next week.

Donkey Venom is making a comeback very soon ("early in the month.")

Barn Owl 4 set to make an appearance before the end of the month. Looks like 2649 bottles available of that one.

Image

Bellwoods Newsletter wrote:Barn Owl Blend No. 4 will emerge this month, which means it's also a good time to clear up some of those misconceptions and whacky notions about the series. Many believe that the flavour of one release has bearing on another, or that they're all sour. But that's not the case!

Barn Owl is a series we developed in order to showcase blends of different barrel aged beers, that (in true Bellwoods fashion) don't perfectly adhere to any one particular style. You can think of each release in the series as a unique snowflake -- delicious and perfectly aged, with the potential of having brett funk, sourness, belgian yeast character, or fruit (we'll always let you know what to expect).

Blend No. 4 is a Farmhouse Ale blend with currants that's all about that refined brett funk, complimentary fruit flavour, and hint of acidity. No exact date is set for its release yet, but you can expect it before the calendar turns over to September. More details soon!
User avatar
El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1391
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:02 pm
Location: Downtown TO / Galapagos Islands
Contact:

Re: Bellwoods Brewery

Postby El Pinguino » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:38 pm

Looking good, I thought it was about time for another Barn Owl release. Comes with free fruit flavour too, yum!
User avatar
DeMarco
Posts: 317
Joined: Mon May 04, 2015 1:01 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: Bellwoods Brewery

Postby DeMarco » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:08 pm

Im wondering if they are going to skip omerta this year.
User avatar
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend
Posts: 9742
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Earth

Re: Bellwoods Brewery

Postby Belgian » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:27 pm

I'm in. Just tell me when to line up, ya bestids.
In Beerum Veritas
napoleon
Posts: 282
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:37 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re: Bellwoods Brewery

Postby napoleon » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:35 pm

The current Monogamy Simcoe release is drinking very well. It's so incredibly fresh with a nose that is incredibly floral. I didn't actually know Simcoe hops could be this impressive.
User avatar
skootles
Posts: 200
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:55 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: Bellwoods Brewery

Postby skootles » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:29 pm

napoleon wrote:The current Monogamy Simcoe release is drinking very well. It's so incredibly fresh with a nose that is incredibly floral. I didn't actually know Simcoe hops could be this impressive.


The one in the bottle shop at the moment is Mosaic, no?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJBRHzygWDE ... lwoodsbeer
User avatar
Dennis
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun May 03, 2015 9:14 am
Location: Huntsville

Re: Bellwoods Brewery

Postby Dennis » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:22 am

skootles wrote:
napoleon wrote:The current Monogamy Simcoe release is drinking very well. It's so incredibly fresh with a nose that is incredibly floral. I didn't actually know Simcoe hops could be this impressive.


The one in the bottle shop at the moment is Mosaic, no?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJBRHzygWDE ... lwoodsbeer


I was there on Thursday and picked up bottles of Mosaic.

Return to “Ontario Brewers”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests