Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Bellwoods Brewery

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

yeah, i liked it bottled more myself too

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Jelly King is a great beer that I would happily buy on a fairly regular basis.
Thought that Grandmas Boy was slightly better than Motley Cru, but who knows how things will change in 6 months, a year...

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

lister wrote:
DeMarco wrote:Jelly king in bottles pales in comparison to it on draft. I have another bottle, but damn I was super disappointed. Cru on the other hand is top notch, though I am curious to try it on draft whenever they decide to do that.
I found the reverse to be true for the Jelly King. The draft was lackluster and lacking that fantastic punchy aroma and flavour. Weird.
I feel crazy now that you say that. I had it on saturday again to see if it was just this batch and on tap it was super aromatic, balanced mouthfeel and pretty sour patch tart. The bottle reminded me of a sessionable version of that, less tart, kinda watery, mellow nose.

I need to try another bottle. I might wait a bit to see if the bottle just needs time.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

DeMarco wrote:
lister wrote:
DeMarco wrote:Jelly king in bottles pales in comparison to it on draft. I have another bottle, but damn I was super disappointed. Cru on the other hand is top notch, though I am curious to try it on draft whenever they decide to do that.
I found the reverse to be true for the Jelly King. The draft was lackluster and lacking that fantastic punchy aroma and flavour. Weird.
I feel crazy now that you say that. I had it on saturday again to see if it was just this batch and on tap it was super aromatic, balanced mouthfeel and pretty sour patch tart. The bottle reminded me of a sessionable version of that, less tart, kinda watery, mellow nose.

I need to try another bottle. I might wait a bit to see if the bottle just needs time.
I was there on Mon May 9th. Maybe different kegs?
lister

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

For those who may have missed it, Bellwoods tweeted the following yesterday afternoon:

Monday afternoon update on beer levels: 1900ish (of 5200) bottles of Motley and 2400ish (of 4800) bottles of Grandma's Boy remain.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I found the Motley Cru pretty tasty. I won't be stockpiling any of these, though it's fun to try them all.

Always a surprising brewery! Donkey Venom alone is worth a stop by the pub.

Oh and some very old bottles in cellar I will have to parse through… should be fun.
In Beerum Veritas

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

The apricot jelly king was in the bottle shop this weekend. Not sure it ever made the website or any sort of announcement. I tried it...it's interesting, a bit like alcoholic apricot juice. Refreshing, but maybe too much apricot for me. I think I prefer the normal jelly king a bit.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

The hopping is different in the Apricot Jelly King and it had a good fruity aroma that is less dry but something about the taste seemed off for me - maybe a touch green dirty and vegetal on the finish instead of generously tangy-sweet against the lingering sourness.

Still a good effort. Just seemed like some funky or unripe* fruit got in there, or it could be some weird aspect of brewing with apricots. I would try anything these guys/gals make.

* Do we ever get ripe fruit on Ontario more than five minutes a year, this is a compelling reason to live in Italy or California...
In Beerum Veritas

skootles

Post by skootles »

Jelly King (regular version I assume) is coming back to the bottle shop next week.

Donkey Venom is making a comeback very soon ("early in the month.")

Barn Owl 4 set to make an appearance before the end of the month. Looks like 2649 bottles available of that one.

Bellwoods Newsletter wrote:Barn Owl Blend No. 4 will emerge this month, which means it's also a good time to clear up some of those misconceptions and whacky notions about the series. Many believe that the flavour of one release has bearing on another, or that they're all sour. But that's not the case!

Barn Owl is a series we developed in order to showcase blends of different barrel aged beers, that (in true Bellwoods fashion) don't perfectly adhere to any one particular style. You can think of each release in the series as a unique snowflake -- delicious and perfectly aged, with the potential of having brett funk, sourness, belgian yeast character, or fruit (we'll always let you know what to expect).

Blend No. 4 is a Farmhouse Ale blend with currants that's all about that refined brett funk, complimentary fruit flavour, and hint of acidity. No exact date is set for its release yet, but you can expect it before the calendar turns over to September. More details soon!

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Looking good, I thought it was about time for another Barn Owl release. Comes with free fruit flavour too, yum!

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

Im wondering if they are going to skip omerta this year.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I'm in. Just tell me when to line up, ya bestids.
In Beerum Veritas

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

The current Monogamy Simcoe release is drinking very well. It's so incredibly fresh with a nose that is incredibly floral. I didn't actually know Simcoe hops could be this impressive.

skootles

Post by skootles »

napoleon wrote:The current Monogamy Simcoe release is drinking very well. It's so incredibly fresh with a nose that is incredibly floral. I didn't actually know Simcoe hops could be this impressive.
The one in the bottle shop at the moment is Mosaic, no?

Dennis

Post by Dennis »

skootles wrote:
napoleon wrote:The current Monogamy Simcoe release is drinking very well. It's so incredibly fresh with a nose that is incredibly floral. I didn't actually know Simcoe hops could be this impressive.
The one in the bottle shop at the moment is Mosaic, no?

I was there on Thursday and picked up bottles of Mosaic.