Bellwoods Brewery

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: GregClow, Cass

User avatar
El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1391
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:02 pm
Location: Downtown TO / Galapagos Islands
Contact:

Re: Bellwoods Brewery

Postby El Pinguino » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:31 pm

Dennis wrote:
skootles wrote:
napoleon wrote:The current Monogamy Simcoe release is drinking very well. It's so incredibly fresh with a nose that is incredibly floral. I didn't actually know Simcoe hops could be this impressive.


The one in the bottle shop at the moment is Mosaic, no?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJBRHzygWDE ... lwoodsbeer


I was there on Thursday and picked up bottles of Mosaic.


Ya it is Mosaic in bottles and on tap....it is tasting solid, as it the Jutsu!
napoleon
Posts: 282
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:37 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re: Bellwoods Brewery

Postby napoleon » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:42 am

El Pinguino wrote:Ya it is Mosaic in bottles and on tap....it is tasting solid, as it the Jutsu!

I meant Mosaic of course.
User avatar
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend
Posts: 9749
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Earth

Of course

Postby Belgian » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:13 pm

It's pretty impressive Simcoe for Mosaic, is what he really meant!
Will get some.
In Beerum Veritas
User avatar
skootles
Posts: 200
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:55 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: Bellwoods Brewery

Postby skootles » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:38 pm

http://bellwoodsbrewery.com/barn-owl-fourth/

Barn Owl 4 being released tomorrow. $12, limit of 6 per person, and 2649 bottles total.
ChrisK
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 3:07 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: Bellwoods Brewery

Postby ChrisK » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:20 am

Anyone try Barn Owl yet?
User avatar
skootles
Posts: 200
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:55 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: Bellwoods Brewery

Postby skootles » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:06 am

Had one on Friday, and it was quite delicious. Not sour, but good and tart, and the currant flavour was light and not overpowering. Overall a very solid brew, especially at 7.5%.
napoleon
Posts: 282
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:37 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re: Bellwoods Brewery

Postby napoleon » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:33 pm

skootles wrote:Had one on Friday, and it was quite delicious. Not sour, but good and tart, and the currant flavour was light and not overpowering. Overall a very solid brew, especially at 7.5%.

I'll second that...very enjoyable!
User avatar
skootles
Posts: 200
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:55 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: Bellwoods Brewery

Postby skootles » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:12 am

Didn't see any social media announcements but Bellwoods has 2 new beers in the shop - Mango IPA and Sour Petite Saison. They are $5.50 and $5, respectively.

Edit: Just tried them myself. The Sour Petite Saison is very light, not overly sour but easy drinking. The Mango IPA is very juicy (citra hops?) and resiny with a light mango taste, I highly recommend it.
napoleon
Posts: 282
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:37 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re: Bellwoods Brewery

Postby napoleon » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:30 am

skootles wrote:Didn't see any social media announcements but Bellwoods has 2 new beers in the shop - Mango IPA and Sour Petite Saison. They are $5.50 and $5, respectively.

Edit: Just tried them myself. The Sour Petite Saison is very light, not overly sour but easy drinking. The Mango IPA is very juicy (citra hops?) and resiny with a light mango taste, I highly recommend it.

Agreed...the Mango IPA was spectacular. The mango was perfectly in line with the juicy hops. I'm wondering if these were tiny batches or they were holding some back, as they seem to have sold out very quickly. The sour petite saison was fine. Seemed to have a hint of DMTS that I didn't love.
User avatar
FEUO
Posts: 267
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:32 pm
Location: dirty south

Re: Bellwoods Brewery

Postby FEUO » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:07 pm

napoleon wrote:
skootles wrote:Didn't see any social media announcements but Bellwoods has 2 new beers in the shop - Mango IPA and Sour Petite Saison. They are $5.50 and $5, respectively.

Edit: Just tried them myself. The Sour Petite Saison is very light, not overly sour but easy drinking. The Mango IPA is very juicy (citra hops?) and resiny with a light mango taste, I highly recommend it.

Agreed...the Mango IPA was spectacular. The mango was perfectly in line with the juicy hops. I'm wondering if these were tiny batches or they were holding some back, as they seem to have sold out very quickly. The sour petite saison was fine. Seemed to have a hint of DMTS that I didn't love.

All Bellwoods beers have a hint of DMS.
Thats called "Bellwoods character".
User avatar
El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1391
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:02 pm
Location: Downtown TO / Galapagos Islands
Contact:

Re: Bellwoods Brewery

Postby El Pinguino » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:44 pm

What is DMTS / DMS?
User avatar
DeMarco
Posts: 317
Joined: Mon May 04, 2015 1:01 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: Bellwoods Brewery

Postby DeMarco » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:03 pm

El Pinguino wrote:What is DMTS / DMS?


https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid=ch ... TS+in+beer

I figured one link will help with both off flavours.
sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly
Posts: 715
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:55 am
Location: Guelph

Re: Bellwoods Brewery

Postby sofakingdrunk » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:38 pm

Interesting.....I've never heard of this either until now. However, a few years ago I was in Costa Rica drinking the local lager, Imperial. Every time I drank it all I could taste was onions. My wife thought I was crazy, fuck; i thought I was crazy, but I couldn't get past it. I'd been down there a few times before drinking that beer....and yeah it's your generic Caribbean lager, but never had it tasted like onions before. Glad to get some explanation on it after all this time. :D
I can't say I've ever tasted it in another beer though.
napoleon
Posts: 282
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:37 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re: Bellwoods Brewery

Postby napoleon » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:27 pm

FEUO wrote:All Bellwoods beers have a hint of DMS.
Thats called "Bellwoods character".

A hint of it is fine....but when it's a primary flavour component, it's far from ideal. The first batch of hoppy beer from Halo had a serious DMTS problem...almost undrinkable. They've improved remarkably though.
User avatar
jeremyg
Posts: 304
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 3:57 pm

Re: Bellwoods Brewery

Postby jeremyg » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:21 pm

not open monday's anymore?!

Return to “Ontario Brewers”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests