Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Bellwoods Brewery

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Now that they've added seats at the Hafis Road location, it's become one of my favourite places to have a beer in T.O. Granted, you're usually limited to one glass or a few samples, since you have to drive out there, but the combination of outstanding beer, super friendly staff, and an awesome decor/ambience make Hafis a fun spot to drink. I also really dig the music there (mostly punk).
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

kevinlater

Post by kevinlater »

cratez wrote:Now that they've added seats at the Hafis Road location, it's become one of my favourite places to have a beer in T.O. Granted, you're usually limited to one glass or a few samples, since you have to drive out there, but the combination of outstanding beer, super friendly staff, and an awesome decor/ambience make Hafis a fun spot to drink. I also really dig the music there (mostly punk).
i gotta echo this hard. never had a bad time there

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

So how's the blackberry milkshark, As good as pineapple? I hear it sold out pretty wuickly

Quotashun

Post by Quotashun »

sofakingdrunk wrote:So how's the blackberry milkshark, As good as pineapple? I hear it sold out pretty wuickly
Pretty great. Like drinking blackberry sorbet. Yeah, they apparently sold out of all 400 at Hafis and the other 850 at Ossington by around the late afternoon.

Wasn't a fan of the pineapple; found it to be too sweet. Kinda tasted like canned pineapple juice to me.

ry_kinney

Post by ry_kinney »

Quotashun wrote:
sofakingdrunk wrote:So how's the blackberry milkshark, As good as pineapple? I hear it sold out pretty wuickly
Pretty great. Like drinking blackberry sorbet. Yeah, they apparently sold out of all 400 at Hafis and the other 850 at Ossington by around the late afternoon.

Wasn't a fan of the pineapple; found it to be too sweet. Kinda tasted like canned pineapple juice to me.
Agreed on the pineapple Milkshark. I skipped out on the Blackberry Milkshark and picked up BB Jellyking, Double Jutsu, C Star and 100 instead.

Quotashun

Post by Quotashun »

^^Nice. Really enjoyed BB Jelly King and Double Jutsu. Never got around to trying 100 (none available at Hafis yesterday).

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Really, i loved pineapple milkshark. I wasn't sure I'd like the second bottle as much as the first, but I did. Iguess I'll need to make an effort to get blackberry if they do it again

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Butsting with tart and tropical fruit accenting the already citrusy hops, accompanied with some creaminess and acidity and resin and pepper. Quite an impressive pour from the Bellwood, this one from the bottle shop. Good stuff from them lately.
In Beerum Veritas

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

I went by Hafis today at about 2:15 for Motley Cru and there was a line with like 7-8 people out the door. I heard it was MUCH longer at noon. It was a little surprising because I usually find Hafis quite dead, even for special releases.

I love this brewery but the line was moving painfully slow, I watched about 5 customers leave in 20 mins in line, did some quick math and left rather than wait over an hour for beer. It seemed like everyone in line was grabbing $100-$200 worth of mixed beers which led to a huge bottleneck at the lone cashier. I don't think the location has ever seen traffic like today's. A friend went at 5 today and there was no line, in and out.

Hope the beer is good!

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

I was there too. Slowest line I have ever experienced. If it weren't the only day I could have Mede it out there, I would have left. Guava Milkshark on tap was nice though.

ry_kinney

Post by ry_kinney »

I was in the Hafis line from 2-315 and it did move very slow. A lot of guys with multiple cases of mixed bottles. I had a friend pick me up a weekly haul on Friday so I was only there for the Motley. Not sure what is left now but they were halfway through the 500mls at 230.

By the time I was leaving the line was half the size, seemed to be slowing down quickly. Had a sample of Milkshark Guava and it was delicious, this is coming from a Pineapple Milkshark hater. Sadly missed the boat on that one!

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

There was still some Motley Cru at 1:30 or so today and they were also selling glasses of it for $8, which was nice for a non-sour-aficionado like me to get a sense of it.

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

Looks like Motley is still available at both locations. As well as another new Monogamy.

Napalm Frog

Post by Napalm Frog »

Double Monogamy Azacca is the new one.

As of 5:30 PM today, stock comparably low at each, was told ~400 at Ossington when I passed by. They are estimating it will likely go tonight, but small chance it'll last until early tomorrow.

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

lasted til about mid-week last year according to this thread. Trying to grab a bottle or two tonight since I wasn't able to make it over on the weekend.